Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Axle Mod FL350
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:49 am 

? Has any one modified the Yokes on the axle to allow for more
articulation of the joint

As we know a big killer of uni joints due to binding at full
compression and under load

What if used a 1/2 round file you removed say 2 to 3mm and chamfered all the
points of possible contact.

What's your thoughts

Attachments:
IMAG0170 (2)_LI.jpg
IMAG0170 (2)_LI.jpg [ 53.3 KiB | Viewed 979 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Axle Mod FL350
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:43 am 

Yeah I did mate when I was in the Ody phase.I dremeled away the leading edges with no adverse affects whatsoever.But of course check your range of movement :shock: : to avoid being overdone .

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:44 am 

Wow I thought I was the only one that thought of that. This is the mod I was talking about when I said it was possible to run slightly longer shocks but did not want to comment because I have not done it yet. There is a lot of meat in that bold red shaded area that you could take off. You could probably run shocks that are 1/4" longer than the stock oddy easily and there are many to chose from. Bet 1/2" longer shocks would go to.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:21 pm 

Just go the CV route mate. Use old damage axle yokes, there must be a few of those around now.

Attachment:
Lots of camera photos 062.JPG
Lots of camera photos 062.JPG [ 49.56 KiB | Viewed 938 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:38 pm 

I have thought about this one also. The area that usually binds is the center section that wyeeoddy has marked in the picture. Hmmm, I didn't even think to look at the ends that are marked in the picture.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:18 am 

oddozzie wrote:
Just go the CV route mate. Use old damage axle yokes, there must be a few of those around now.

Attachment:

What is the process for this thanks

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:17 am 

Will have some pics in a week or so

I have started on my damaged Axle assy since the uni is out it is
easy with a 1/2 round file

I have ordered a 5pcs 6mm Shank Head Tungsten Carbide Rotary Point Burrs Die Grinder Carving Bits
for my die grinder

They arrived @ the post office will pick them up Monday. And will have a play and take some pics

Wyeeoddy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:09 pm 

Update ?? Pics ?? It's been more than a week.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:10 am 

Can'toddy Settle petal

All good things take time.

The Engineering Shop I go to do major works a lot of big manufacturing and commercial companies
and I have said to them Big $ come first and fit my 2 buggy projects in when your free.

Project 2 everyone might like.

So when I get a call I will get you pics

My Shank Head Tungsten Carbide Rotary Point Burrs arrived so I can start on the Axle Yoke mods
which I hope to start late next weekend, having a week off and going to do a Family road trip. The
joys of been self employed.

Wyeeoddy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:43 pm 

crackerwarrior wrote:
oddozzie wrote:

Attachment:

What is the process for this thanks

See my 5 link rear suspension build post. It's all there step by step. Right here the hole time! As Oddozzie taught me. Machine the inner ujoint yoke down, get a CV type axle, weld the inner and outer factory yokes to the modified CV cups. Re heat treat, install axle, all additional link. Hope this helps.

Sorry, don't wanna hijack. I think clearancing the factory pieces should help.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:27 am 

Methodical

I would love to do the CV mod. I am looking for damaged axle assy.

That is a project in waiting.

may I ask the cv assy. that you used what were they from and was there a lot of modding to the axles

Wyeeoddy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:37 pm 

wyeeoddy,

The axle I used on my set up is from a 2013 Polaris 800 EFI Midsize, 4X4.( this may be the same as other models) I purchased a set of axles new on ebay. They are like $125, not to bad at all. The mod was easy. Disassemble the CV assemblies, cut the splines off, cut the inner ujoint spline adapter, align the items and weld. I then had them re-hardened and then reassembled. Interesting things that occurred. The original Honda steel that the ujoint adapter is made of, was very difficult to ID. I actually had them metallurgically examined and no 100% definitive answer came back as to alloy content. I moved forward with the assumption they are a form of 4340. The new cv/ujoint spline adapter needed slight massaging when it was returned as the heat treating distorted the metal just a little. Nothing that can't be gently smoothed and sanded.

If you do the outer side, just do the same thing. For the axle length, well I did a hole suspension so I worked with the length of the axle I bought. Others have just cut the axle in the center and used a sleeve with plug welds. To hold together.

Now, I'm pretty sure I'm about to build an oddy with a simple CV upgrade and additional link, using the factory rear suspension. I am going to use a different axle for that build. I will be using 2013 POLARIS RANGER 500 MIDSIZE FRONT AXLES. These are a little smaller in over size and are a good candidate. They will be more then strong enough to do the job. Good luck! If I start that build soon, I will do a build post.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:24 pm 

methodical wrote:
wyeeoddy,

The axle I used on my set up is from a 2013 Polaris 800 EFI Midsize, 4X4.( this may be the same as other models) I purchased a set of axles new on ebay. They are like $125, not to bad at all. The mod was easy. Disassemble the CV assemblies, cut the splines off, cut the inner ujoint spline adapter, align the items and weld. I then had them re-hardened and then reassembled. Interesting things that occurred. The original Honda steel that the ujoint adapter is made of, was very difficult to ID. I actually had them metallurgically examined and no 100% definitive answer came back as to alloy content. I moved forward with the assumption they are a form of 4340. The new cv/ujoint spline adapter needed slight massaging when it was returned as the heat treating distorted the metal just a little. Nothing that can't be gently smoothed and sanded.

If you do the outer side, just do the same thing. For the axle length, well I did a hole suspension so I worked with the length of the axle I bought. Others have just cut the axle in the center and used a sleeve with plug welds. To hold together.

Now, I'm pretty sure I'm about to build an oddy with a simple CV upgrade and additional link, using the factory rear suspension. I am going to use a different axle for that build. I will be using 2013 POLARIS RANGER 500 MIDSIZE FRONT AXLES. These are a little smaller in over size and are a good candidate. They will be more then strong enough to do the job. Good luck! If I start that build soon, I will do a build post.

Awesome I still need to make mine for stockshock measurement for the fl670

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:03 am 

I had a call from Shop mid last week Re to repairs to the Knuckle piece (( NOT Good ))

The knuckle was bent and stretched

If you put a 20mm rod in one hole it would not go through the opposite hole. It was
bent out by 2mm.

So the Knuckle is a paper weight. Yeah

Wyeeoddy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:33 am 

wyeeoddy wrote:
I had a call from Shop mid last week Re to repairs to the Knuckle piece (( NOT Good ))

The knuckle was bent and stretched

If you put a 20mm rod in one hole it would not go through the opposite hole. It was
bent out by 2mm.

So the Knuckle is a paper weight. Yeah

Wyeeoddy

Well that sucks.
Since it is a paper weight now I have to ask -- Do you have a hydraulic press ??
See if you can press it back. You got nothing to lose, it's junk now anyway.
It got bent so it can be bent back. Then run the reamer through it.
Just a skillbilly thought.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:56 am 

How about a few pictures of that joint-- "mate" :-)

Just finished working on my oddy for the day.
Well it's 2am here now so time for bed.

Profile E-mail