Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:49 pm 

So on the 350 my rear brakes never worked, I took the caliper off rebuilt it then put it back on ( with new pads) and now they work for about 5 hard braking stops then they lock up any ideas?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:09 pm 

New To Odesseys wrote:
So on the 350 my rear brakes never worked, I took the caliper off rebuilt it then put it back on ( with new pads) and now they work for about 5 hard braking stops then they lock up any ideas?

"they work for about 5 hard braking stops then they lock up" - How are you unlocking them to do it again? Need more details but sounds like it's possible the piston is getting stuck. Did you polish it while the caliper was apart?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:48 pm 

Could the master cylinder on the handlebar be bad? Could you have a collapsed hose acting like a check valve?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:41 pm 

dipnadactyl wrote:
New To Odesseys wrote:

"they work for about 5 hard braking stops then they lock up" - How are you unlocking them to do it again? Need more details but sounds like it's possible the piston is getting stuck. Did you polish it while the caliper was apart?

I take a screw driver and pry the pads out. I cleaned the piston with Brillo. Should I actually "polish" it?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:44 pm 

rmesser wrote:
Could the master cylinder on the handlebar be bad? Could you have a collapsed hose acting like a check valve?

This is a 350, no master cylinder on the wheel. Should I check the back break line? Next time when it freezes should I relieve the pressure and see if it unlocks?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:53 pm 

New To Odesseys wrote:
rmesser wrote:

This is a 350, no master cylinder on the wheel. Should I check the back break line? Next time when it freezes should I relieve the pressure and see if it unlocks?

Yes -- open the bleed nipple on caliper and see if it releases. If it does then your hose is collapsed inside. If it don't your piston is probably sticking.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:52 pm 

New To Odesseys wrote:
rmesser wrote:

ok the master cylinder is not on the handlebar on the fl350, but it still has a master cylinder. The fluid has to go bake to the reservoir - could the master be bad not allowing the fluid to return?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:55 pm 

New To Odesseys wrote:
dipnadactyl wrote:
New To Odesseys wrote:

I take a screw driver and pry the pads out. I cleaned the piston with Brillo. Should I actually "polish" it?

Brillo pad will not do it any good. I would think you want a smooth as surface as you can get.

Do the fronts return properly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:17 pm 

rmesser wrote:
New To Odesseys wrote:
dipnadactyl wrote:
New To Odesseys wrote:

Brillo pad will not do it any good. I would think you want a smooth as surface as you can get.

Yes the fronts return property. ( this is my other account)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:31 pm 

rmesser wrote:
New To Odesseys wrote:
dipnadactyl wrote:
New To Odesseys wrote:

Wire wheel, sandpaper at a minimum. Everything i have read says "make it shine". And replacing the seal & dust cover seal will help if you can find them

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:13 am 

rmesser wrote:

that's what happened... I swapped it with the one from my other 350 and she works! Thanks everyone

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:14 am 

Which one was bad - Master cylinder or collapsed hose - or both?

Glad you found the problem.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:48 am 

rmesser wrote:
Which one was bad - Master cylinder or collapsed hose - or both?

Glad you found the problem.

Collasped hose

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:27 am 

[/quote]Yes the fronts return property. ( this is my other account)[/quote]

:shock:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:22 pm 

Thanks again! had a blast today riding

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:30 am 

Ironic, I currently have this problem.
I rebuilt the master when I got the machine. Rear Caliper worked great for a year or so. Then it started to drag on the brake disk. I then rebuilt the rear caliper (new seals / polished the piston), caliper still drags.
I then thought it was a collapsed hose so I replaced it with a stainless braided hose.
Still have that problem. The only way to resolve it is to bleed the excess pressure out of the caliper. When I went riding a few days ago, seems like I used the rear brakes like 5 times before the caliper locked up. I bled the excess pressure and it was free, braked five times and it locked up again.

I don't often use the E-brake, but all the components are new. I read in the forums someone just pulls the e-brake to bleed the brakes. I've done this also. Seems to drag too much after it was bled.

Any suggestions on how to fix a dragging caliper?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:25 am 

RoboRex2005 wrote:
Ironic, I currently have this problem.
I rebuilt the master when I got the machine. Rear Caliper worked great for a year or so. Then it started to drag on the brake disk. I then rebuilt the rear caliper (new seals / polished the piston), caliper still drags.
I then thought it was a collapsed hose so I replaced it with a stainless braided hose.
Still have that problem. The only way to resolve it is to bleed the excess pressure out of the caliper. When I went riding a few days ago, seems like I used the rear brakes like 5 times before the caliper locked up. I bled the excess pressure and it was free, braked five times and it locked up again.

I don't often use the E-brake, but all the components are new. I read in the forums someone just pulls the e-brake to bleed the brakes. I've done this also. Seems to drag too much after it was bled.

Any suggestions on how to fix a dragging caliper?

That still sounds like a hose to me even though you said you replaced it.
It could also be that your master cylinder is not allowing the return pressure. Did you rebuild that ??
If you feel the rear hose is good then it's gota be the master.

Profile E-mail