Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:05 pm 

Guys,

Took the Odyssey FL350 for a spin around the block as I wanted to store it in my Toy Hauler. Idles fine, but when you give half throttle to get it to catch, I could feel the throttle get very light. I can let off and it comes down just fine, but when I opened it up to get some speed as my neighborhood is a little hilly, it went WOT (Wide Open Throttle). Kill switch was the only way to get it to stop.

My intake seemed fine and didn't see any cracks. Any thoughts on this guys?

Thanks,
Leo

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:53 pm 

That does sound like an air leak.
I would pressure test that Engine. Just my opinion.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:03 pm 

canadian oddy wrote:

Can you give me more info on why to pressure test? Crankcase Seal leakage?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:29 pm 

MPDano wrote:
canadian oddy wrote:

Can you give me more info on why to pressure test? Crankcase Seal leakage?

Yup I believe you have lost a crank seal or possibly a cylinder base gasket.
Is the carb tight in the intake boot ?? Don't laugh that happened to me.

Edit: I would do a fuel pump flow test first to rule out that it may not be delivering enough fuel and then the Engine leans out.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:43 am 

Ok, did a little research on leak down testing. I can get a leak down tester tool or use compressed air direct, but make sure I remove the schrader valve from the hose connecting to the spark plug hole. Put on TDC (Top Dead Center) and listen for air.

Does this sound right for 2-stroke engines?

Leo

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:21 am 

Oops, just saw a 2 stroke leak down test and totally different. No more than 10 psi on these.

At least I am learning both ways as I own both 2 and 4 strokes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:30 pm 

Yeah careful what you do here. To much pressure and you will blow the seals out.
1) Remove the exhaust pipe and cap the hole with a plate and rubber seal (use an old inner tube).
In this plate I have a fitting for a low pressure gauge and a fitting to pump air in.
2) Remove the carb and plug that hole -- various items can be used. I made a plastic plug.
3) Plug vacuum hose coming from crankcase for the fuel pump.
4) Make sure piston is near bottom so it is not covering the ports and sparkplug is tight.
5) Put in 10 psi MAXIMUM !!!!
6) If you start losing pressure then spray soap water around to see if you can get bubbles to find a leak.

If I find the post with my test rig I will post it here.

Edit: here are some pics of my test rig. They are old ones and you will also note that I have the fittings on the intake and on the exhaust plate. I prefer the exhaust plate because you can't do the vacuum test properly on the intake side because of the reeds.

Attachments:
2 stroke pressure testing.pdf [314.03 KiB]
Downloaded 54 times
Photo0590.jpg
Photo0590.jpg [ 71.88 KiB | Viewed 361 times ]
Photo0588.jpg
Photo0588.jpg [ 46.94 KiB | Viewed 361 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:36 pm 

canadian oddy wrote:
Yeah careful what you do here. To much pressure and you will blow the seals out.
1) Remove the exhaust pipe and cap the hole with a plate and rubber seal (use an old inner tube).
In this plate I have a fitting for a low pressure gauge and a fitting to pump air in.
2) Remove the carb and plug that hole -- various items can be used. I made a plastic plug.
3) Plug vacuum hose coming from crankcase for the fuel pump.
4) Make sure piston is near bottom so it is not covering the ports and sparkplug is tight.
5) Put in 10 psi MAXIMUM !!!!
6) If you start losing pressure then spray soap water around to see if you can get bubbles to find a leak.

If I find the post with my test rig I will post it here.

Edit: here are some pics of my test rig. They are old ones and you will also note that I have the fittings on the intake and on the exhaust plate. I prefer the exhaust plate because you can't do the vacuum test properly on the intake side because of the reeds.

Ok, removed the air filter assembly and pulled the carb. Pretty sure I know the source of the air leak. The little screw with a blade in the end that guides the carb piston fell out and a nice big hole for an air leak once throttle is pulled.

Going to tap it out and put a larger screw and grind the end so the piston has a guide, then jb weld it in place. If this doesn't resolve it, then it's a leak test for sure.

Leo

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:39 pm 

Oh my.
Are you sure it didn't fall inside ??
Why not do a leak down test anyways, they're fun, and then you will know the condition of your Engine.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:12 am 

canadian oddy wrote:
Oh my.
Are you sure it didn't fall inside ??
Why not do a leak down test anyways, they're fun, and then you will know the condition of your Engine.

Very sure it didn't fall into the carb. I remember it being loose so I put some silicone on the screw head, apparently didn't hold.
Yeah, gonna source the pieces I need to make my own leak tester as well.

Leo

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:55 am 

MPDano wrote:

Leo

Good to hear. You shouldn't even fire a 2-poke Engine until you've leak tested it. Not that the leak test would've known your carb screw was going to eventually fall out, lol. But the "death rev" didn't get it's name for nothing. And the kill switch won't always "kill" a diesel'ing Engine. Run-away 2-stroke CVT buggies are not fun.

I cannot believe what people charge for a 2-stroke leak test kit on fleaBay. You can easily replicate a $100 tester for under $20.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:14 am 

DMoneyAllstar wrote:
MPDano wrote:

Leo

Good to hear. You shouldn't even fire a 2-poke Engine until you've leak tested it. Not that the leak test would've known your carb screw was going to eventually fall out, lol. But the "death rev" didn't get it's name for nothing. And the kill switch won't always "kill" a diesel'ing Engine. Run-away 2-stroke CVT buggies are not fun.

I cannot believe what people charge for a 2-stroke leak test kit on fleaBay. You can easily replicate a $100 tester for under $20.

Yeah, I did the repair to the screw. Put it all together, no more death rev but I still feel the throttle get very light on high rev. To me, sounds like it is still leaning. Do you have a list of pieces to make my own leak tester? I did see a video but parts weren't listed out.

I saw a seal kit for 2 seals on ebay. Is this correct?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/151748410951

Leo

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:16 am 

Carb screw repair

Attachment:
20171018_060536.jpg
20171018_060536.jpg [ 36.47 KiB | Viewed 291 times ]

Attachment:
20171018_060604.jpg
20171018_060604.jpg [ 44.26 KiB | Viewed 291 times ]

Profile E-mail