Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: fl450r
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:06 am 

the only pumps i am finding is the in tank style. and they not cheap. couple hundred. is that the way i should be going or is there and external style that would be better

ok i found this one..would something like this work
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELECTRIC-FUEL-P ... 5541793%26" ."..

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Universal-Electr ... a32&_uhb=1

i am thinking i will need some kind of t fitting to return fuel back to the tank like the stock set up has so it doesn't try and flood the carb when its full.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:24 pm 

nitrosport_5 wrote:
don't the 4 strokes produce the same sort of pulse that would work a diaphragm style fuel pump? like if you drilled and tapped for a barbed fitting.

I never figured that one out, I know they use the pulse type pumps on the 4 strokes just not sure where they take the pulse from, I never took the time to trace one out, find a application that uses them then trace out the pulse line and or look on the parts diagram where its routed too?

I would also like to know I had one on my old Kawisucki 200cc 3 wheeler, I have seen them on garden tractors they work good.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:05 pm 

well i think i am going to go with the gravity feed, and move the rad. it the only way i am going to get a descent size gas tank. so this is what i have mocked up so far, the cardboard will be the gas tank, i can lower it a little more but not too much as i need access to the spark plug. i can drop it down on the one side but i might look goofy, so i might just do something like what is shown.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 89.39 KiB | Viewed 919 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 82.66 KiB | Viewed 918 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:43 pm 

Whats wrong with behind the seat?

I'd put the rad where you have the cardboard ,but on the back down tubes, as low as you can get it, inside the tubes.

How big of tank do you need?

How about on the right side of the Engine? Kinda next to/along the cylinder for the tank?

Whats in the stock tank location?

I looked back at your pics, looks like plenty of room in front of the Engine down low? Maybe even use the stock Motorengine mounts?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:56 pm 

well i got a little more done tonight, got the valves set, they were way out, so glad i took care of that, also took the stock tie rods put them in my drill and used it like a lathe, tied the trigger back and used my grinder to slowly make the diameter smaller to i could thread them to the length i needed, that was for the inner tie rods, the outer just need to be cut down and threaded but i don't have a 12x 1.25 die. so will have to find one tomorrow. need to make a couple more brackets for the steering and i can weld it all in. i think it will be stronger, than on my 360, so far it looks alot better and beefier.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 74.85 KiB | Viewed 908 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 66.08 KiB | Viewed 908 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:07 am 

bullnerd wrote:
Whats wrong with behind the seat?

I'd put the rad where you have the cardboard ,but on the back down tubes, as low as you can get it, inside the tubes.

How big of tank do you need?

How about on the right side of the Engine? Kinda next to/along the cylinder for the tank?

Whats in the stock tank location?

I looked back at your pics, looks like plenty of room in front of the Engine down low? Maybe even use the stock Motorengine mounts?

1) i thought about it but just didnt seem right. might try again and take pic and see what it looks like
2) bigger the better, would be nice to ride 40+ miles on a tank, that's what the average rally is up here.
3) kind of thought about a saddle tank that would come down on both sides, just need to keep the spark plug in mind.
4) electronics and battery tray
5) thought about that as well. it would require a electric pump for sure, and the way the exhaust worked out its kind of in the middle, so i would have to redo the exhaust, i am also going to dump this seat and go with a high back plastic seat like in my other oddy, you sit up alittle straighter and gain a little leg room as well, going to need all i can get with having a clutch in down there

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:01 am 

Sounds good, I was just trying to throw some ideas out.

For me, a gas tank above/behind my head would be out of the question!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:26 am 

yeah, its probably not ideal to have it mounted up high, but looking at all those spun aluminum tanks, they sit pretty high and extend out of the side of the cage. not really sure what i am doing yet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:30 pm 

How about something like this, In the same spot as a pilot?

http://www.jegs.com/i/JAZ+Products/547/ ... 1/10002/-1

They make a 5 gal. too.

Take some meas.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:54 pm 

that's nice but 3 gal, i am hoping i get can bigger than that. for cheaper lol...if i were to redo the exhaust i could do a couple things different..just not sure i want to go with a electric fuel pump. not sure on how reliable they are. i am sure they are probably ok. the rad is the only thing that looks out of place. i didn't get around to moving it around today, i finished makin the bump steer kit instead.

i do appreciate the suggestions, making me think harder about what to do

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:48 am 

fully wrote:
that's nice but 3 gal, i am hoping i get can bigger than that. for cheaper lol...if i were to redo the exhaust i could do a couple things different..just not sure i want to go with a electric fuel pump. not sure on how reliable they are. i am sure they are probably ok. the rad is the only thing that looks out of place. i didn't get around to moving it around today, i finished makin the bump steer kit instead.

i do appreciate the suggestions, making me think harder about what to do

Get a fuel pump off of a 88 trx 350

That will work

$130 for oem Honda or $70 for aftermarket

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:27 pm 

I think I am going to redo the exhaust and put rad behind the seat. Still have the tank up top and might bring it down the side like a little sump. This thing is so close to completion. Gas tank rad hoses and location. Front brake lines. Fluids might be forgetting something.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 83.77 KiB | Viewed 862 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:51 pm 

Put it all the way to the right for better cooling.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:08 am 

shoubadaba wrote:
Put it all the way to the right for better cooling.

i am going to see if i can use the factory air scoops, i have wired in the factory temp light so if it does start running hot i will know right away.

got the steering completed tonight. looks like it will work pretty good with very little bump steer. i like it better than on my black oddy. now i might have to redo it lol

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:21 am 

Looking good! Cant wait to see it in person next year. I may have to make one for myself. lol

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:51 pm 

its getting closer to being finished. got it to fire up today, but couldn't get it to start with the electric start, had charger on battery to keep it full and just wouldn't fire on electric start, so i put the kicker on and it fire right up in a few kicks. its to bad that i have to leave tomorrow for work again, so it will be two weeks before i get back to it.

i guess it should be called the fl490 seeing as it has the 490 big bore, stage 1 hot cam, bub exhaust. i need some new hard ware for it, i broke one of the valve cover bolts and the three mounting bolts. if theres to much movement in the Engine i will have to build an upper Engine mount.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:17 am 

Wheres the vid of you kickin it? :-)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:24 pm 

Hey fully did you ever finish this? I'd love to see a video of it

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:09 am 

Still slowly working away on it. It's pretty close to being done. But just haven't put the time in lately to finish it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:06 am 

fully wrote:
Still slowly working away on it. It's pretty close to being done. But just haven't put the time in lately to finish it.

Hey fully do you think you can get me some good pics of the carrier so i can get an idea for my project

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:37 am 

did a little work on this ole girl today..got the dirt bike master cylinders mounted, but now i need an adapter to go from the factory hard line fitting which i believe is 10x1. and the dirt bike master is 10x1.25, i can't seem to find any adapters, the other option would be to just cut the line and put on a new fitting an flare it to fit the dirt bike masters..

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:27 am 

fully wrote:
did a little work on this ole girl today..got the dirt bike master cylinders mounted, but now i need an adapter to go from the factory hard line fitting which i believe is 10x1. and the dirt bike master is 10x1.25, i can't seem to find any adapters, the other option would be to just cut the line and put on a new fitting an flare it to fit the dirt bike masters..

I am thinking you may be better off cutting and flaring a 10x1.25 on the line if it is long enough.
I bet finding adapters is gona be a job.

Can you get a couple of taps and dies and make something ??
That's what I would try first.

Profile E-mail