Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: fl450r
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:37 pm 

Got more done on this project tonight. Got the exhaust done and rad mounted and shifter done. Also got the clutch and throttle cables to hook up and work. However the throttle cable is very sticky. Is there some kind of cable lube that you can try and spray in them.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 79.04 KiB | Viewed 1178 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 82.43 KiB | Viewed 1178 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 84.38 KiB | Viewed 1178 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:30 pm 

I have seen people make trays to lay the cable out in and let them soak in gasoline to dissolve grit and dirt, then let hang dry and add your favorite lube (KY, Astroglide...LOL) most people either use WD-40 or PB Blaster or something like that. Let it hang and soak all the way down the cable.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:36 pm 

i was talking to a buddy and he suggested fluid film..it pretty good stuff, that cable moves but i has been sitting for a while iknow that. the spring in the carb is just not strong enough to pull it back right now. i will try cleaning it and grease it and see what happens

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:17 pm 

fully wrote:
i was talking to a buddy and he suggested fluid film..it pretty good stuff, that cable moves but i has been sitting for a while iknow that. the spring in the carb is just not strong enough to pull it back right now. i will try cleaning it and grease it and see what happens

i use this stuff. It works good. and that neat little tool alows you to inject the fuid through the cable.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/43/ ... Cable-Lube

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:18 pm 

Try a motion Pro Cable lubing tool.

Or....do an internet search and you will see there are a couple of places that sell these.

Here is how its used.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG6JO9f0Q6U" ."..

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:25 pm 

nitrosport_5 wrote:
fully wrote:

I have that same one but the big as$ can
Works great

i use this stuff. It works good. and that neat little tool alows you to inject the fuid through the cable.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/43/ ... Cable-Lube" .".." ."..

I use that same stuff Except I got the big as$ can of it

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:34 pm 

good job man :shock:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:10 pm 

Looking good

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:55 pm 

There is a liquid graphite stuff the Harley shop uses, but I don't remember the name -- have to ask my buddy. It was like $10/bottle but it was better than any "liquid" cable lubricant out there. And it would spread/soak over the cable fibers like CRAZY as soon as you applied it, and it would eventually spread over the whole cable. Crazy stuff.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:11 pm 

DMoneyAllstar wrote:
There is a liquid graphite stuff the Harley shop uses, but I don't remember the name -- have to ask my buddy. It was like $10/bottle but it was better than any "liquid" cable lubricant out there. And it would spread/soak over the cable fibers like CRAZY as soon as you applied it, and it would eventually spread over the whole cable. Crazy stuff.

This is the stuff...

http://www.jcwhitney.com/film-lubricants-dri-slide/p2017157.jcwx

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:19 am 

I thought that was the stuff you're talking about I bought like 15 cans for $10 dollars at a yard sale 6 years ago

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:51 am 

Any update?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:50 am 

nickRNR wrote:
I have seen people make trays to lay the cable out in and let them soak in gasoline to dissolve grit and dirt, then let hang dry and add your favorite lube (KY, Astroglide...LOL) most people either use WD-40 or PB Blaster or something like that. Let it hang and soak all the way down the cable.

Coil it up lay in the bottom of a bucket of gas.

Put a rubber hose over the end like 3/8 hose clamp it on blow out cable with compressed air, pour solvent in the hose force it through with compressed air.

Buy and use the cable lube, you can hang it up and spray it in the rubber hose let gravity work on it over night.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:11 pm 

Not much progress. Got headlight mounted lol. It's close to completion. Brakes, bump steer kit, mount gas tank and figure out an air intake. That's about it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:43 am 

Got it done yet?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:32 pm 

Not yet. Haven't have much time to devote to it lately. Not much left to do. Just need the time and little more cash to throw at it. Basically just brake lines and steering and intake. Have all the steering stuff made just need to shorten and thread the tie rods. Run braided brake lines and bleed them. Nukem sent me a rotor for the rear so I got it mounted along with the calipers. Also I guess I need to mount the gas tank.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:00 am 

got this thing out on the road yet?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:11 pm 

Haven't touched it in a while. Life has gotten crazy this summer. I can't see it getting finished this summer. Which really sucks. Just have to many things on the go

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:06 pm 

so currently i have rad mounted behind my head but i was wondering on your opinions of mounting it on the side of the oddy in this area. it would be nice to have the area behind the seat for my gas tank, as this Engine was gravity feed.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:18 pm 

Yu could always get a electric fuel pump

They make them specially for quads

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:44 pm 

never thought of that, might look into that before i start cutting off whats welded on right now. thinking of making a gas tank out of aluminium, brother in law is a welder so it shouldn't be to bad to fab up i can make everything out of cardboard first, then cut out and weld up..sounds easy right lol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:04 am 

don't the 4 strokes produce the same sort of pulse that would work a diaphragm style fuel pump? like if you drilled and tapped for a barbed fitting.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:23 am 

That looks like it is gona be fun. But it's a good thing ur a flat lander cause you would have trouble here in B.C with no reverse. Post video if you can when you get it going, looking forward to seeing it in action if you do post a vid. I'm in the middle of making a liquid cooled head out of my air cool. I cut the fins off today. Just need to find an 8" or 7" aluminum pipe to bubble gum on. Projects are never ending.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:07 am 

nitrosport_5 wrote:
don't the 4 strokes produce the same sort of pulse that would work a diaphragm style fuel pump? like if you drilled and tapped for a barbed fitting.

some do
i forget where you tapp it from the intake or the crank case pretty sure the intake track

canadian oddy wrote:
That looks like it is gona be fun. But it's a good thing ur a flat lander cause you would have trouble here in B.C with no reverse. Post video if you can when you get it going, looking forward to seeing it in action if you do post a vid. I'm in the middle of making a liquid cooled head out of my air cool. I cut the fins off today. Just need to find an 8" or 7" aluminum pipe to bubble gum on. Projects are never ending.

post it

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:31 am 

scratch that
nitrosport_5 wrote:

did a little research

your better going with a electric pump on a 450 some people complain about fuel starvation works good with 250's tho

Profile E-mail