Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:19 am 

believe i saw something on this a while back but has anyone looked into putting this cylinder on a pilot?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:07 pm 

sorry about the double post . nobody has any info on this

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:00 pm 

I think to do this you'll need to change the studs in the cases. Do a search for it here.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:29 pm 

contacted cp about the 500 cylinder said they are about 4 to 6 weeks out from having a complete bolt on kit with adaptor plate(no case welding required) the complete kit with everything but pipe and carb was 1900 . also contacted shearer custom pipes about building a pipe for the liger cylinder and he said he would be willing to take the project on . looks like this is the route i will be going with the wifes pilot as soon as my big bore 250r is done . anybody else have any input or experience with these cylinders on a pilot . lastly for what its worth shearer said with the right carb and pipe it could be a 90hp combo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:07 pm 

wodiesel04 wrote:
contacted cp about the 500 cylinder said they are about 4 to 6 weeks out from having a complete bolt on kit with adaptor plate(no case welding required) the complete kit with everything but pipe and carb was 1900 . also contacted shearer custom pipes about building a pipe for the liger cylinder and he said he would be willing to take the project on . looks like this is the route i will be going with the wifes pilot as soon as my big bore 250r is done . anybody else have any input or experience with these cylinders on a pilot . lastly for what its worth shearer said with the right carb and pipe it could be a 90hp combo

don't think anybody has tried one on a Pilot yet, talk to Calvin he will tell you how many of these cylinders are in the wild and what kinds of HP numbers they are getting, think it was suppose to be about 100 HP at 9000 RPM at least that was the projected goal and everybody seem to think it was achievable.

I would think Calvin could help you with the numbers, dimensions and design for the pipe too.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:54 pm 

wonder if the exhaust port is the same size as a oem cr500 jug?
I already have a pipe for the 500 conversion

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:19 am 

stoneman from what cp and shearer told me its a different size takes a different exhaust flance and its a triple exhaust port like the ct and esr 250r cylinders . hoser if you don't mind would you mind sending me a pm with a contact number and i good time to call you i would like to discuss some of the details and concerns i have with this build and see what your professional opinion is on the matter. thanks for the intrest on this would like to keep the subject going stock cylinders seam to be getting kinda scarce and this seems like a way better option than the atv cr 500 kit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:58 am 

wodiesel04 wrote:
stoneman from what cp and shearer told me its a different size takes a different exhaust flance and its a triple exhaust port like the ct and esr 250r cylinders . hoser if you don't mind would you mind sending me a pm with a contact number and i good time to call you i would like to discuss some of the details and concerns i have with this build and see what your professional opinion is on the matter. thanks for the intrest on this would like to keep the subject going stock cylinders seam to be getting kinda scarce and this seems like a way better option than the atv cr 500 kit

I think the CP kit would be cheaper than having ATVR modify your cases, last time I added up the ATVR setup it was over 3k but that also included the pipe and carb.

What are you plans for the the 500 Engine, play or race?

You should freshen up the bottom end at the time of the 500 mod it would also be a good time to blend the adapter to the cases if it needs any.

Always a concern with the Pilot Engine is the clutch side crank bearing its weak, Honda used the same bearing on the clutch side of the FL250 Engine and they had bearing problems with the 250's when modified for racing the cure was to put a double bearing on the clutch side, first their was a cast bearing holder that was welded to the stock cases then machined later came better crank cases like the Super Cases, Calvin even made crank cases for the 250's back in the day.

Thought Calvin had a Pilot Engine he was using to model the spacer adapter? If so maybe he can look at making a cast part that can be welded to the Honda crank case so another bearing can be added and or making a whole new left crank case that will incorporate bigger or more bearings?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:14 pm 

the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) will be pretty much for duning and play ,and a hill race here an there , from what cp told me they did have a pilot there to mock up the kit on and that the had it running , do you think i would have any issues with a powerblock clutch holding the power of a big bore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:22 pm 

wodiesel04 wrote:
the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) will be pretty much for duning and play ,and a hill race here an there , from what cp told me they did have a pilot there to mock up the kit on and that the had it running , do you think i would have any issues with a powerblock clutch holding the power of a big bore

I have no idea what the limits of the Power Bloc are I have heard a lot of claims over the years but mostly from people selling them I don't recall seeing any failures related to too much power if I already owned one I would not hesitate to use it on a 150hp Engine just to see what happen.

The majority of the problems I have seen with the Power Bloc are related to the outer cover, on the clutches that use the "D" washer its usually the owner installing the cover and not being 100% sure its fitting correctly when they tighten the bolt, I have seen a few of the HRD design covers fail but its a mfg tolerance problem, the cover is stamped and low quality this allows the cover to rock slightly as the pucks cycle eventually it work hardens the metal at the bolt and washer until it cracks then breaks going back to the ALT cover cures this problem.

Comet clutches offer more tuning options but don't live long in a off road environment, too many moving parts that rust soon as exposed to moisture like high humidity, its bare steel on a bushing material like brass or some sort of plastic, when not in use the steel parts rust then when in use the bushings wear the rust off, rust is a great abrasive its a oxide like they use on sand paper, I call it a death cycle, if you get a comet get the dust cover like Nukem runs and keep it clean and well lubed with the comet lube, most happy owners of the comet clutches barley use them or think burning 20 gallons of gas a year is "riding" so like anything else when getting feed back ask about use.

The one thing I like about the Power Bloc is when the clutch faces are worn out the rest of the clutch is still in great condition, they sell rebuild kits for the comet for a reason :shock:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:37 pm 

that's good to know about the clutch do you think the honda trans or cv axles would have any problems . also hoser what kinda of port timing have you seen on the cr 500 jugs and what do you port the stock 400 jugs to the reason i ask is i may have issues with the as cast port timing being to high for the cvt style clutch and may have to address this with cp

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:24 pm 

Calvin has all of my stuff for mock up. They aren't done yet as he is still working on the adapter plate.

Chomping at the bit for this one!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:34 pm 

dabeechman wrote:
Calvin has all of my stuff for mock up. They aren't done yet as he is still working on the adapter plate.

Chomping at the bit for this one!

Any idea how long before the adapter is done, I would think he could hand make one in a pretty short order then cast or CNC the future adapters for production?

I will assume his priority will be the items that has the chance for the highest production sales and biggest market.

Can you expand on the "cast port timing being to high for the cvt style clutch" comment I am not sure I follow you, the beauty about a CVT is you can tune it to be in the right gear all the time and tune out any ill affects the Engine might throw at you.

All the CR500's I have run across they made minimal changes to the cylinders, if your going to run one of Calvins I would listen to him and not worry about any other specs he designs and develops his products from the ground up.

Cant wait to see yours running.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:59 pm 

Calvin is a great guy, and I've known him on a personal level for nearly a decade. He is easily the most influential figure in aftermarket performance. That said, he builds cylinders for mx, atv, snowmobiles and like you said, he has to build what is making him money. Right now he has to stick with his bread and butter and I kind of pushed the FL400 project onto him. So he kind of works on it when he has a spare minute. I'll give him a call tomorrow and see how things are progressing on it though if I can remember.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:57 am 

dabeechman wrote:
Calvin is a great guy, and I've known him on a personal level for nearly a decade. He is easily the most influential figure in aftermarket performance. That said, he builds cylinders for mx, atv, snowmobiles and like you said, he has to build what is making him money. Right now he has to stick with his bread and butter and I kind of pushed the FL400 project onto him. So he kind of works on it when he has a spare minute. I'll give him a call tomorrow and see how things are progressing on it though if I can remember.

Calvin has made some incredible stuff over the years he is one of my hero's.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:44 pm 

Any updates?

Profile E-mail