Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 9:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:58 pm 

Fl250
new coil
new spark plug-NGK BR8ES

was working fine for a couple days, parked it one night, went to start it the next day and no spark. checked the on/off and its fine and all the other wires are tight
...i was thinking, i sprayed some silicone spray in the recoil starter cause it kept sticking (need a new one anyway) could this have gotten into the points?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:09 pm 

ok, looked today, and it sparks a little every one or two turns....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:24 pm 

Yes it could have gotten in there and stop the contact from being made, but i doubt it, it would have to be an extreme dose-ing. Most time with points they just need a good cleaning and the correct setting and all is good , sounds like you been thru all that.

The best way i found to trace out electrical problems is to first make sure there are no direct grounding of hot wires ( or the kill switch/ stator/coil wire) to the frame or Engine. then start removing things until it sparks again.

you can disconnect the wires from the stator and use a multimeter or even a 12v test light to insure you have power coming from stator, if not inspect stator and flywheel and then test with them connected, if you lose power disconnect possible faults until you get power. If you still have no juice something is wrong with the stator or rarely the flywheel

I never had an FL250 but most 2 strokes are the same, if there are 3 wires 2 should be hot ( had power to light a bulb) and one should be the ground. All a stator/flywheel is a little energy generating plant, points only tell it when to spark, coil just makes the 12 volt power spark like 110v, basically its that simple.

Seeing how i never had an FL250 I could be very wrong but i hope somebody would correct me .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:04 pm 

Hare wrote:
Yes it could have gotten in there and stop the contact from being made, but i doubt it, it would have to be an extreme dose-ing. Most time with points they just need a good cleaning and the correct setting and all is good , sounds like you been thru all that.

The best way i found to trace out electrical problems is to first make sure there are no direct grounding of hot wires ( or the kill switch/ stator/coil wire) to the frame or Engine. then start removing things until it sparks again.
you can disconnect the wires from the stator and use a multimeter or even a 12v test light to insure you have power coming from stator, if not inspect stator and flywheel and then test with them connected, if you lose power disconnect possible faults until you get power. If you still have no juice something is wrong with the stator or rarely the flywheel

I never had an FL250 but most 2 strokes are the same, if there are 3 wires 2 should be hot ( had power to light a bulb) and one should be the ground. All a stator/flywheel is a little energy generating plant, points only tell it when to spark, coil just makes the 12 volt power spark like 110v, basically its that simple.

Seeing how i never had an FL250 I could be very wrong but i hope somebody would correct me .

i don't know much about electrical systems, i have a manual...could you explain it a little more clearly....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:57 am 

Your on the right track, if it were mine I would buy a flywheel puller if
you don't already have one and pull the flywheel and inspect everything
including the points.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:49 pm 

ok thanks, i do have a flywheel pulled
got it from my neighbor cause he bought the wrong one...and it worked on my odyssey so he gave it to me :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:54 pm 

Cool, what did you find when you pulled it?

In the past I have always found metal from the recoil basket and dirt and dust from a
poor or failed gaskets and rubber boot.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:32 am 

havnt pulled it yet--it was raining outside and i stayed inside playing my psp :D