Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 1:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:08 pm 

Randman wrote:
No.

These particular shocks are an off the shelf universal fitment. They are not designed to be used on the FL350 so Fox does not have base settings to go by. Myself and Nuke Em are playing Giunea Pigs as far as usage.

Remember, these shocks are 15.5 inches spacing eye to eye as compared to the 15.25 of the Showa or Works shocks so modifications for usage will be required. As far as the ride goes, these are Air shocks so the ride is totally adjustable. They come from the factory at 200 psi. The stacks inside the shocks are changeable so you can adjust rebound and dampening.

The bottom mounting is going to require the works bottom mounting system which consists of a bolt and spacers to take up the difference between the stock bolt v/s the 1/2 inch Fox eyelet.

Be patient I will let you know what is required for mounting and how well they work.

Rand

I bought my air shocks for my Pilot direct from FOX, not sure you can do this any more this was back in like 1999 I think?

The new shocks then came with a valving guarantee think all new shocks come with one still today you will have to ask, mine was a 30 day valving guarantee meaning you have 30 days to resolve any valving issues.

Mine were way off so I called FOX described what was wrong they said to ship them back they would be happy to change the valve stacks as many times as it takes to make them right, I then asked if they could just send me the valve stacks and I would change myself, save on time and shipping they agreed and sent valve stacks, I change then tested they were still not right called again they sent me more valve stacks got them right the second time, I kept all the valve stacks so have a great assortment of valve shims to play with in the future, I have adjusted my valve stacks a few times since then.

Bunch of my info here on FOX air shox http://www.pilotodyssey.com/fox-home.htm

Comprehensive air shock tuning found here http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-Airshox/index.html

All kinds of other info showing up you can read none of this was around when I bought mine
https://www.google.com/search?q=tuning+ ... =firefox-a

Notes from Cowboy 10/14/2003
If you order a 10 a 30 a 50 a 70 a 90 you will have all the shims to create any stack for 1 shock.
If you think you'll be between a 50 and a 70 just buy those stacks and you'll be able to adjust anywhere in between.This is per shock, rebound and compression.

In the rear I'm running 65 rebound wit 4 .078 bypass holes and it isn't enough rebound.

Hoser's recommendation of 90 is probably real close. I'm running 2 stacks for compression first shim is a 1.6x.008 then a .9x.008 then a regular 20 stack.

In front I have a 35 rebound with stock bleeds which is pretty good. For comp I have another dual stack 1.6x.012, 1.425x.012,.900x.008 and then a 50 stack. The dual stacks work nice because there is very little low speed dampening so when you land on all 4 wheels at the same time it's not too harsh.

The high speed part of the stack will soak up a 1 wheel landing and keep you from bottoming
that corner.

If you get your air pressure and compression ratio right you don't need alot of comp. dampening.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:19 am 

are these just an air shock. if so there shouldn't be any valving involved, just air pressure changes..the fox evol that i run on the front of my fl360 is all air pressure. you can set them up how ever you want with simple air adjustments

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:22 am 

I believe yours are Built a bit different

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:27 am 

yeah i think so, just went on to fox website and there is valving changes that you can make to these

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:46 am 

As I mentioned before, they are fully adjustable for compression and rebound, via NITROGEN pressure changes and valve stack changes.

I can say one thing for sure, these are a hell of a lot more stout that the Works shocks. I'm impressed with the workmanship and quality. The big thing about the works shocks I always found rather cheap was the lack of a top heim joint for the shock to pivot properly. Works uses a cheezy plastic friggin bushing. That's why when you buy a pair the jive you like six of them. I have very little time on my works shocks and the bushing is already showing signs of wear.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:03 am 

remember the shafts on the fox airs are hollow and if you break and axle you will most likely break the lower shock mount off of the shock

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:03 am 

shoubadaba wrote:
remember the shafts on the fox airs are hollow and if you break and axle you will most likely break the lower shock mount off of the shock

I would expect some sort of shock damage when you break the axle if their is no limit strap installed, I bet the parts for the FOX are cheaper than the works.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:58 am 

shoubadaba wrote:

Shoub,

I have limit straps on my Ody so hopefully that will help..... :shock:

One on the big reasons I am trying the Fox shocks is how cheap the Works shocks are made. When I snapped the bottom of the shock on my Ody I was moving at less than 5mph when the heim joint that attaches the rear swing arm to the frame split in half. When this happened, the rear wheel went out at an angle. When that happened, the threaded end of the shock just snapped. I was surprised it happened because there was no violent jolt or anything. The rear end just fell to the ground. :shock:

This area of the shock is probably 1/4" thick. There is absolutely no bend in the shaft of the shock itself, it just snapped due to a side load.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:07 pm 

I almost got these mounted last night but I purchased a mounting bolt that is too long so back to the hardware store I go.

As mentioned before, the lower mount requires the Works lower shock mounting kit. The upper mount requires something to take up the space in the mounting hole due to the .100" difference in diameter. The shocks also come with 4, half inch spacers to allow both upper and lower Heim joints to have plenty of rotation.

This weekend, I will finish the mounting. Hopefully, I will be able to go take her out for a quick test ride. I have the strange suspicion the nitrogen charge will need to be bumped up a little from the base line of 200psi.

Also with the top Heim, this should allow for a little more swing in the shock should a U joint break possibly saving the shock from severe damage.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:12 pm 

Well I got the shocks mounted and there is great news and not so great news.

1st the great news.....these shocks are 15.29 eye to eye so no modifications for mounting and no U joint binding.

The not so great news is that at 200 psi out of the box, they do not have enough of a charge. The stock charge is 200psi. These will need to be bumped up to at least 300psi.

When I step down on the back of the Ody I can compress the shocks all the way down to their stops. When Released the shocks only travel back to about 3/4 travel.

Rand

Attachments:
File comment: U joint gap at zero camber and full shock extension. Probably .020" clearance.
DSCF1047.JPG
DSCF1047.JPG [ 32.78 KiB | Viewed 1463 times ]
File comment: Standard adjustment for upper link.
DSCF1054.JPG
DSCF1054.JPG [ 38.42 KiB | Viewed 1463 times ]
File comment: Shock at Full extension
DSCF1060.JPG
DSCF1060.JPG [ 57.25 KiB | Viewed 1463 times ]
File comment: Shock after compression not fully rebounding on its own.
DSCF1061.JPG
DSCF1061.JPG [ 52.98 KiB | Viewed 1463 times ]
File comment: Upper mount view
DSCF1050.JPG
DSCF1050.JPG [ 47.71 KiB | Viewed 1463 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:33 am 

so what did you use on the top bolt to make up the difference

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:05 am 

A piece of copper tubing.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:11 pm 

Can I asked where you bought these? Private sale or dealer?
Shubey

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:29 pm 

NO! They're super Duper Top Secret! Ha Ha :-)

Off Road Warehouse. When I got them they were running a Halloween day discount so my cost was $380 shipped. Right now they're going for 211.50 each.

Here's a link to the Off Road Warehouse web site where I purchased them.

http://www.offroadwarehouse.com/product ... ctID/56201

BEWARE.......... I haven't had the chance to get the pressure bumped up to be able to know how well they're going to work.......... so buy at your own risk.

I will say that the quality is superior to the Works shock. These bad boys are heavy duty!

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:19 am 

can you show a better pix of the strap and how you attached it i still need to put one on so i don't trash my shocks thanks

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:20 pm 

bow2091 wrote:
can you show a better pix of the strap and how you attached it i still need to put one on so i don't trash my shocks thanks

I'll post pictures this weekend.

First off......I you are running in the woods where you are subject to branches poking up through the trail, then be prepared to replace them on a regular basis. These straps hang low and are prone to catching on rocks and or branches.

You will want to get a very heavy duty material such as a heavy duty nylon type tie down to use as the strap. Do not use old crappy tie downs because they become dry rotted and are prone to tearing easily. I use an eyelet kit to make the through holes in the strap. Also when making the holes for the eyelets, try to burn through the nylon so it makes the holes a lot stronger and they don't rip as easily.

The strap is merely bolted to the bottom of the bearing carrier and the opposite end is wrapped around the frame, not the skid plate bars. Once the strap is installed, you need to make sure that the swing arm has full motion so the strap doesn't limit upward suspension travel.

Rand

Attachments:
File comment: Harbor freight Eyelet Repair Kit
Harbor Freight Eyelet Repair Kit.jpg
Harbor Freight Eyelet Repair Kit.jpg [ 52.21 KiB | Viewed 1415 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:00 pm 

So high pressure nitrogen replaces the spring?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:11 pm 

Yes.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:53 pm 

The fox I bought for the Pilot came in a 200 psi too if I remember correctly and I thought that was too stiff for the Pilot? So Im a little surprised you need to add more?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:43 pm 

Front or Rear?

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:53 pm 

Randman wrote:
Front or Rear?

Rand

rear

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:07 pm 

Any more on these randman have you tested them out ?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:31 pm 

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!

I still haven't got around to having the pressure bumped up. I've been busy with other projects.

I will have to make time this week and take off 1/2 day to get it done.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:03 pm 

redskinman wrote:
The fox I bought for the Pilot came in a 200 psi too if I remember correctly and I thought that was too stiff for the Pilot? So Im a little surprised you need to add more?

Take a look at the difference in shock angle from a pilot vs. ody. Pilot is more straight up and down, the ody is layed way forward. This changes the lever ratio and requires the ody shock to be stiffer. That is my understanding of it anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:09 pm 

I was wondering why the pressure differential myself......the angle of the dangle makes sense!

Rand

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next