Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 7:10 pm 
1981 FL250 that I salvaged from a field, has new weisco .020 over, new carb overhaul, new UNI air filter...I hope it runs good with a 200# man in the seat! compression is at 135psi, how well do you think it will run? I rode it before the wristpin circlip came loose and it was fun, but it was worn out pretty good.
I should be able to ride it for the first time tomorrow...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 10:07 am 

Well how does it run?

"salvaged from a field" could mean a bunch of problems related to rust, anything
that moves like the clutches and cables could be affected.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: initial ride, bogs badly
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 1:15 pm 
Hey hoser, it runs like crap right now, guess I need to make some more carb adjustments after it cools down. It fires right up and idles great, just doesn't seem to have any power yet. Of course I was running a lot of oil in the gas for the initial test and that is about to get remixed. It has a noise that I think is the clutch, kind of a rapping noise under load.

Oh, one more thing that will get under your skin, I STILL don't have the right coil! Hope I can find the right one this morning, I am sure that will help- since I cannot get a real good connection to the plug wire.
The manual says 3/4 turn is optimum for the air/fuel mixture screw and that didn't run well, so out another 1/2 and try it again!

Any suggestions?
This was the first ride, I have had it running and got it warm, I rode it at about 1/4-1/2 throttle and got it warm again and it is cooling off right now.

I did notice a very small piece left over in my carb kit, not sure what it is but I didn't take anything like it out and it is not in the service manual diagram anywhere either. not sure how to describe it other than it is only slightly larger than a broken off pice of pencil lead, brass, threaded, small hole like a pilot jet or something???? I figured it was something to make the kit fit other applications and didn't fret over it.

Post subject: Extra part?
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 2:01 pm 

Probably #31 in the attached pic, it's in the carb bowl.

Attachments:
carburetor_inlet_pipe.jpg
carburetor_inlet_pipe.jpg [ 70.71 KiB | Viewed 538 times ]

Post subject: no response
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 10:11 am 
Yes, that was it! Thank you!

This thing is not in the least bit impressive for me to ride, it is just like a big go'kart that takes off rather slowly. I am not experienced in 2-cycle stuff but find my way around pretty easliy since I have been a mechanic all my life.....but there has GOT to be a way to make this thing more responsive off idle, can someone PLEASE tell me how to adjust the carb for optimum response?
It has the stock keihn carb, rebuilt with a good kit after being soaked in Tyme cleaner over night. So it is very clean, new parts and I have the idle speed screw set at about 1/2 turn out right now and the air/fuel screw at about 2 turns with the jet needle set at the lowest setting ( the e-clip is on the furthest notch down).
Any recommendations?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 12:16 pm 

stock carb with .020 piston ?
your main jet sounds way to large,stock should be a #120 with the primary(slow jet) being a #58.
The midrange should be set near the center with your clip,give or take one slot.
The clip at the setting you have is way rich,up on the clip is lean ,down is rich -start at the center or third from the top initially.
The 0.20 piston is not going to bring your main jet up muchif any ,unless it is piped and even then the 200 is way big for the 250 motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )).
Recheck your float level too,it should be 0.79in. to the top of the float from the base of the carb.
You may be close on the air/mixture but initial setting is a turn and a half and work from there.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 12:21 pm 

Start doing plug chops and reading your plug, adjust your jetting as required.

Wonder if he is having the same problem that Mike123 and Oldmanody had ?
http://pilotodyssey.com/PO/viewtopic.php?t=909

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 12:29 pm 
I had it set midway (jet needle clip) and it fell on its face horribly at mid throttle, way to lean. I started at 1.5 turns and a little tweak here and there while riding it left me at about 2 turns out. It is completely stock aside from the .020 and mild (clean up) port work.

I believe my problem lies in the electrical system as my voltage reading varies from day to day from the trigger coil. I think maybe the trigger coil is breaking down????

I just rode it again and got a misfire under load out the exhaust and after having electrical problems all along, what do you all think???

Like I said, I salvaged it from a field, got it running, fixed the cables and brakes, repainted it, new seat belt, Kenda dirt dog rear tires (they where cheap!) new belt and headlight and now the Engine. 2 years and about $400 later, I have a running (ha) odyssey.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 2:20 pm 
the new jet is marked with a 'D96' while the original was marked with a 271004.
I got the kit here... http://www.dratv.com/allflsoddyseys.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 2:45 pm 

is it a 12 volt points or CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) ignition ?
have you double checked the keyway (flywheel) for tightness ?
The 200 main jet still sounds too fat for the stock setup even with mild porting,especially with the stock pipe.
Call Sara at EEE or randy at odyssey salvage for a proper coil.
you may also have a bare wire in the ignition or coming out the Engine case causing problems.
The ignition wires coming from the stator assembly that wrap underneath may be pinched or rubbing causing a bare spot and intermittent problems.
Also check the wires coming from the Engine case,if the grommet is worn badly it may be grounding one of them.
The exciter and or lighting coils have to be sent out to be rewound or get another set of good ones .

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 3:40 pm 
How is it you think I have a 200 main jet? the wires are all good I have been working and replacing them. I have a green wire and a Bl/y wire comeing from the trigger coil, yesterday I had approx. 10 VAC with a yank on the recoil, today I have about 2 VAC. It is a CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) ignition. I will go out and disconnect all the wires except for the bare requirements for ignition and let you know what I am getting today...

gimme 2 minutes...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 3:52 pm 
if I hook up my voltmeter with the black lead to the green wire and the red lead to the Bl/y wire and give it a big yank with no plug in it I can get approx. 3 volts AC. Yesterday I was getting anywhere from 8-10 volts AC. These are the wires coming directly from the trigger coil that would go into the CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) box.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 4:08 pm 

sorry i was thinking your 200# man was a typo,as in a 200 main jet.my screw up.
It sure does sound like the exciter is bad,doesnt take much for them ,a nick or debris is all it takes.
stator assemblies are no longer available from honda.
though individual parts for that model i am not sure of.some have had them rewound by local electrical shops or you could probably get one from someone on one of the boards or eee,oddyssey salvage.Barkley's may also have one ,socalgii may have one too.

Profile E-mail