Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Powerbloc VS Comet 94C
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 1:33 pm 

My power drive clutch is worn and I'm thinking to replace it, the comet 94C is my choice, I don't plan to race yet, it's cheaper especially if I plan to replace both unit ( drive & Driven) but the setting seem more complicated , on the other hand the Powerbloc seems better but from the price I have is twice the price.
So, what you guys recommend ????

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 5:46 pm 

What machine you working on?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 12:20 am 

Fl 350

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 5:58 am 

If your going to replace both the drive and driven I would go with the comet 94C and the
comet driven sledparts guy is usually selling them on ebay, seems to have the best price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... gory=43977

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:14 am 

you can get the comet 94c drive and driven as a combo package for a pretty decent price and i comes with the comet belt too.I purchased mine from Sara at EEE but if you contact sledparts guy i am sure he can do the same for you at a reasonable price.

Hoser do you realize you plugged livewire with that ebay link ?

I would reccomend doing a search for sledpartsguy on ebay,he has a store in michigan and you should be able to get his address and phone # and speak with him directly.
Or you could just talk to EEE,Sara can set you up quickly and she knows her fl350's.

sledpartsguy's shipping is hard to beat though depending on payment method.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:15 am 

hey i'm seeing stars whats up :shock:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:37 am 

here ya go
http://stores.ebay.com/Sledpartsguy-Sup ... eZL2QQtZkm

he is in wisconin,my mistake .

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:49 am 

wow sledparts guy has been hustling,he's hitting allmost 23,000 sales on ebay allready. good for him ,when i dealt with him he was fast and a great guy to deal with.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 3:07 pm 

But what about Powerbloc, are they as good or better ?
I just spoke with the factory, and they told me I will need a ALT 3413. The comet looks harder to play with and parts need to be bough to try or change any setting.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 5:53 pm 

bruno wrote:
But what about Powerbloc, are they as good or better ?
I just spoke with the factory, and they told me I will need a ALT 3413. The comet looks harder to play with and parts need to be bough to try or change any setting.

What factory did you talk to?

I suggested the Comet setup if your replacing them both to make the tuning easier they
should both come calibrated pretty close to what you will need.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 8:41 am 

The comet 94c clutch setup is ready out of the box for most applications.
Though i don't have any experience with the power block on my fl350,they are more involved in getting them dialed in .
The comet combo is a cheaper ready to go setup.
The comet drive comes with six friction pucs ,you can add three more if you like but they are not needed .The internal springs can be changed for a different rpm engagement but usually out of the box is great unless your going racing .
The driven can also be dialed in from spring changes but like the drive clutch out of the box is great too.
Less money ,less work and probably just as good of performance with the comet setup.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 11:11 am 

Thanks for the infos, that's what I needed to know.
You guys are great.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: clutches
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:53 pm 

I would go with the Comet 102c, I like the simple fact that you can rebuild the spider, weight bushings, shaft bushing and it has far less wear surfaces unlike the 94c and powerblock which are based purely on wieghts and friction. They can handle 100 hp( way more than what a fl350 makes ) and you can change weights and springs for different situations with ease.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: clutches
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 9:53 am 

cwwiedmaier wrote:
I would go with the Comet 102c, I like the simple fact that you can rebuild the spider, weight bushings, shaft bushing and it has far less wear surfaces unlike the 94c and powerblock which are based purely on wieghts and friction. They can handle 100 hp( way more than what a fl350 makes ) and you can change weights and springs for different situations with ease.

Cant speak for the 94C far as wear but the PB friction items are still in great shape
when the clutch faces are worn out, you don't have to lube them, I blow it out after
each ride trip with compressed air, you can adjust the 94C and PB by changing the
weight and spring like on the 102.

I have had a bunch of 102 clutches on sleds they don't fair well in high moisture environments,
each time the clutch is exposed to moisture for example high humidity the metal parts rust
slightly then when you use it again you wear the rust off, you find the rust dust that was
worn off (now an abrasive) all over the inside of the clutch, seen this happen to my sled
clutches after each ride a few days later you can look close at the metal comet lubed or
not and see rust, you also find fresh rust dust.

No doubt the 102 is the better clutch, actually the 108 is even better, I have seen 2 of them
locked up because they were exposed to sand, nutten like beating a $350.00 clutch with
a $20.00 framing hammer to free it up.

If dust dirt sand moisture was not a problem I would be running a 102 but after seeing
what happens to a clutch exposed to the elements we ride in cant suggest someone
buy one, the PB and 94C does the same thing for 1/2 the price and last longer.

If your willing to take your clutch apart after each ride to clean and lube it with the
comet clutch lube (20 bux a can?) then go with the 102 make sure to buy the can of
comet lube and lube it up right out of the box and before you install, look into any
special tools you need to hold the spider so you can take it apart might as well get
then whilst your placing your order you will need them, don't forget the hammer :- )

Think Ed at Triple E said the 94C was good for 65 hp Harold at HRD racing said the PB
was good for 100hp he claims a guy with a turbo buggy is putting 150 hp through one
and has not seen any problems, so far my 440 has not hurt my PB.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 4:39 pm 

Just for your knowledge, the 102 makes a ton of noise espec at idle.I have used the 94c on all my machines lately, it is basicly bolt on and works well with the stock bore, etc but also is a great for when you decide to upgrade in bore, carb, etc.The 102 is good as well,don't get my wrong here, but as described in these posts needs more maintenaince then the 94c and with proper springs the 94c can be just as good as the 102 and without the maintenance.I have purchased most of my clutches and driven as well from SLEDPARTSGUY and have found him to be a top notch seller,as for the other guys your on your own there, I don't mess with them anymore.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 11:08 am 

Ed at EEE told me the same thing ,the 94c is good for 65 hp or a little more and your not going to even get close to that unless it is modified big.
sledpartsguy or eee (sara) has the clutches or comet directly for that matter.
sledpartsguy has a super store on ebay for easy viewing of everything he has to offer.

Profile E-mail