Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: fl350 needs new Engine
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:39 am 

I decided to make a new post on this one. I have an fl350 all stock. The Engine was running lean which seized up the piston and caused some other damages. I took it to a bike shop and they tore it apart to give me an estimate on rebuilding. For a new piston kit, hone or bore, bearings, crank turned or new crank, boyseen reeds, carb rebuild/jets, (basically a top and bottom rebuild) the parts are $532 and labor is $703.
My first question is: is this price reasonable or fair?

Second, if I had a manual and I have basic Engine knowledge, could I rebuild this on my own and save more money?

third, Is there anybody around that is reputable for rebuilding these engines and doesnt charge an arm and leg? I'm in Kansas.

I cannot afford 1300 dollars after just spending 2600 for the odyssey. Its very frustrating. I've rebuild car engines and know how to work with tolerance gauges and other Engine building tools. But this Engine is different and requires more 2 stroke knowledge than I have.
I don't know that I even trust the motorcycle shop since the odyssey Engine is a little different and I cant afford for them to make the mistakes learning on mine.

For any of you interested in making money,.....come out with a video of rebuilding and maintaining odysseys and pilots. It doesnt even have to be top quality hollywood camera angles, just to where you can see whats going on. I'd be the first on your list for buying. I learn so much more from a video than a book since its not picture framed but rolling video of every step involved.

I'm just at a loss right now, I only had it for 3 weeks and rode it for about 5 hours total before it blew. And having to save up for months to even buy one....my, my, my.

Please help fellow people, sorry for no pictures, gotta save up for a digital camera too.
Thanks, Stephen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:21 am 

You talk to Randy at http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16721 or Ed at Triple E
1-800-763-3762 http://www.expresspages.com/t/triplee
dunno if they would be any cheaper but they have plenty of experience with
the 350 Engine.

As far as doing it yourself go through the manual a few times and study it they
give step by step instructions, no matter who rebuilds it they will most likely
be using the same manual during the rebuild or they better be heh

I havent looked in the manual but their might be special tools required
depending on what it is you can probably make most of them I did for
the Pilot bottom end.

What was the "other damage" that was caused when it went poofkaboom?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Rebuild
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:47 am 

I had the works done on mine from Randy and it was around 1500, with water cooled head, porting,reeds, reed spacer and everything new or rebuilt. His customer service is great to. Second to none as far as anyone I have dealt with. Just pull it and put it in a container about 50 to ship it.

Post subject: lol
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:49 am 

and Randy is in Kansas. Boy that woulda been nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:52 am 

Sorry for your misfortune but I think I can help you some. First, I am heading back out hunting for a week later this morning so I can not reply until then.

OK, I had Steve (Odyknuck) (cyclefab)rebuild my bottom end(new "Hot Rod" crank, bearings, gaskets and seals) for about $350-$400 about 3 years back. You need a jig to properly align the crank halves. Are you sure your crank is bad? or is the dealer telling you that? Someone here can tell you what to check for to be sure( rod slop on the crank) by the book. I am betting you just need seals and maybe crank bearings($75 max).

Next, a top end rebuild is easy. $100 for an Ebay Wiesco piston kit, $50 for the bore job and $30 for head, base and intake gaskets. $$$$ are rough estimates plus beer! LOL

I can talk you thru everything if you want but it will be a week or so before I am back. Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:24 am 

Last I checked hillside had FL350 Wiseco Piston kit $81.38
Hill Side Honda 707-263-9000 Tell them your with the Pilot-Odyssey group and want the "good guy" discount.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:30 am 

If you have worked on car engines you can work on these. I had never really done a complete rebuild on a 2 stroke until I bought my first pilot, only cars and bigger stuff. A 2 stroke has a lot less parts to deal with so its much easier to assemble. The hardest part of the whole thing is finding a good machine shop to follow the instructions you give them. My first word of advise is to obtain a manual and read it a few times like Hoser said. Take the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) apart and inspect all the parts to see what you need.....you may have to ask questions and that's why the board is here. Once you do it the first time it becomes very easy to rebuild motors. Another thing you will need is some descent measuring tools.....a bore mic. (or telescoping gages), maybe some Vernier calipers and some feeler gages. There are some special tools you will need to borrow or buy, but nothing that will break the bank and something you will have for future rebuilds.

Moregoodlier (Dan)

Post subject: fl350 Engine
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:29 pm 

If you can sacrifice a couple of hours on the road you can drop by and I can tell you how bad the damage is. I can show you some tricks on power and cooling it. Before you drop $1500 on it maybe you should have a second opinion. I am only 20 minutes east of Manhattan.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: The place to be for help
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:14 pm 

Kingjason- I've heard of randy and that he was nearby. $1500 actually sounds like you got a good deal for having watercooled heads, port/polish, etc. I would estimate a stock rebuild around half that more or less. Was it totally worth it over stock? Any wheelies? Soon as I get the ody back home and get a chance to look at it myself, I'll probably consider him. Just depends if I want to tackle it myself. I'm not looking for anything off the wall break your neck, stock is still fun, it all just depends on the money I have at the time. Thankyou for your reply.

Nuke Em- Yeah I'm pretty sure the crank is bad because with the head off, I was able to move the piston with a twisting motion. don't hold me to that just yet, I need to pull the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) and actually look at the crank to make sure its not just the rod or something. I'm sure once I get the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) apart then I will have several questions for you. thanks.

Moregoodlier- Do you think you could give me a list or specify what *special* tools you think I will have to use. I have calipers, micrometers, bore mic, and feeler guages. I'd rather just spend some dough getting the right tools I will need for the job before I start otherwise I am sure to forget things or will try using pliers in place of a socket or somthing like that. right now the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) is in the ody, I know I can get it out, then I'm sure after I break open the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) will I require special tools. I am going to buy a book and read it like Hoser said. I have to read several times anyway before I pick it all up. Thanks.

cwwiedmaier- I'm about 10 minutes east of wichita. I could definately use all the advice I can get and to be able to get first hand knowledge and advice from a fellow ody owner would surpass any motorcycle shops judgement. Let me get the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) out and take it apart. Then I'll see where I'm at and I'll email you so we might be able to set a time. I don't mind driving if its for a good cause. Odysseys are a good cause! Thanks.

Thanks for your replies. I will take your advices. It probably wont be till the weekend or sometime next week before I tackle it. I will keep everyone informed on the progress and questions. Maybe even I'll have a camera to take some pics.
Thanks, Stephen

Post subject: TTT
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:50 pm 

Yeah I had him pre run it and do all sorts of stuff. The buggy screamed until I had a fuel delivery problem and seized the rings. My problem was doing way to many mods at once and either not enough mid range jetting and I had a fuel pump issue. It ran hands down better but my motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) was wore out I am sure. I think just a good solid rebuild from him is half that and if I had to do it all over agin would probably go that route with a little porting. I think a little mild port, pipe and clutch and you would be impressed. Plus my opinion varies on weather water cooling is worth the extra money and hassle. These things have been around and running for years without it. I like mine though and am not complaining. But on a budget a good rebuild woulda been fine too.

Post subject: Re: TTT
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:29 pm 

kingjason wrote:
Yeah I had him pre run it and do all sorts of stuff. The buggy screamed until I had a fuel delivery problem and seized the rings. My problem was doing way to many mods at once and either not enough mid range jetting and I had a fuel pump issue. It ran hands down better but my motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) was wore out I am sure. I think just a good solid rebuild from him is half that and if I had to do it all over agin would probably go that route with a little porting. I think a little mild port, pipe and clutch and you would be impressed. Plus my opinion varies on weather water cooling is worth the extra money and hassle. These things have been around and running for years without it. I like mine though and am not complaining. But on a budget a good rebuild woulda been fine too.

You ever take pics of your bad parts?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:53 pm 

Tools are pretty easy.......you will need a puller to get the clutch off, another different one to get the flywheel off, a case splitter (which you can make easy enough, but denniskirk has them) a jug base wrench is nice but not totally required and finally a way to pull off the crank bearings and put new ones on. If you are good with a cut off wheel you can cut the old bearings off. Then you will need a puller to pull the cases with bearings back on to the crank (there are examples of this on someones website that slips my mind right now). Is sounds like a lot, but with a well planned trip to a descent hardware store and a couple hours you can make all the tools that are more than 20 bucks to buy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:55 pm 

I have the jug bolt wrench, the stock and aftermarket pullers for the clutch that you'll need, your welcome to them as long as you send them back, let me know where to send them to ---

Profile E-mail