Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:30 pm 

Well I guess I'm at the point where I just need to link a video of me killing it.. I am totally bum'd cause I was hopping to have my bushings back from the heat treaters today. Anyway everything is together. Once I get the bushings back I can install the axles and have at it. Here are some pics.
Attachment:
20160422_194354.jpg
20160422_194354.jpg [ 72.42 KiB | Viewed 1972 times ]

Attachment:
20160422_194614.jpg
20160422_194614.jpg [ 58.11 KiB | Viewed 1972 times ]

Attachment:
20160422_194629.jpg
20160422_194629.jpg [ 70.61 KiB | Viewed 1972 times ]

Attachment:
20160422_194654.jpg
20160422_194654.jpg [ 58.86 KiB | Viewed 1972 times ]

Attachment:
20160422_194607.jpg
20160422_194607.jpg [ 67.22 KiB | Viewed 1972 times ]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:47 am 

I'm diggin' it! :-)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:49 am 

Wow, very nice work!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 9:50 pm 

Well, I had a chance to take the beast for a ride tonight. I had my wife make a short video. I didn't really do any editing, I just wanted to capture the first ride. In the northeast we have had rain for like the last 10 days and the ground is soaked. I didn't want to ripe up my yard so I took it kinda easy. I will get other videos up including gopro of the suspension itself. Watch the video, remember I finally got to ride it. All in all it rides AMAZING!

https://youtu.be/pKUeaRZiLBo

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:33 pm 

Congrats dude! Nice first ride.

As soon as you pulled down the drive, I saw that dip by the tree/driveway and said to myself, I see a jump! Then you hit it on the way back!

I can see the front tire rolling over on the slightest turn!

That's a nice compound you have there!

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 6:54 am 

bullnerd wrote:
Congrats dude! Nice first ride.

Thanks! I was very excited lastnight to just drive the buggy again. I've watched the video several times myself and can clearly see what the front end is doing.. I'm going to do some work on that this weekend and if the rain ever stops, take if for a longer more aggressive ride. I want to get the gopro mounted and set on the rear setup so I can get an image of what's going on in the rear...

Hopefully I can offer insight to others working on similar builds. Again, I need to say thanks to all those before me who gave freely of their information and research...THANKS!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 9:41 am 

I'm glad to see its up and running. Looks very professional!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 4:11 pm 

Good stuff, man!! :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 6:11 pm 

THANKS DMONEY! I truly appreciate all the work you actually did on this up front setting the stage for me to make it happen.

jknarfal wrote:
I'm glad to see its up and running. Looks very professional!

Jknarfal, I appreciate your work also, and all the questions I ask and all the ideas I throw your way..

The rain here in PA just won't stop....for the love of god! I want to put some hours on this and get some go pro footage. It will happen...Patience I guess..

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 4:33 pm 

I had a chance to raise hell today. I made a short video of a jump. The suspension so far is amazing. As I indicated before I need to start the new front suspension, but Im bound and determined to see if there is a week link in the rear. Enjoy!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 6:31 pm 

Yeah, finally stopped raining here too.

Looks and sounds sweet!

The problem with good suspension is the little stuff you use to be able to jump will now just be absorbed.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:09 am 

What is your overall viewpoint on the fox shocks obviously it hasn't been put to a full test of riding a full day but otherwise any viewpoints?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:48 am 

That looks incredible, nice work! I just bought a frame to try my hand at a-arm front suspension utilizing an old Yamaha Warrior front end I have lying around, so I will be paying close attention to your front end build! I have zero fabrication experience or suspension geometry knowledge, so post a ton of pictures, if you don't mind!

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:55 am 

Hell yes! Nothing like some air time. That thing sounds great, too.

:::

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:21 am 

Hard to tell. But does the rear tire touch the fender at all. I know stock it comes awfully close.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:03 pm 

Mudbogger wrote:
What is your overall viewpoint on the fox shocks obviously it hasn't been put to a full test of riding a full day but otherwise any viewpoints?

Well, I guess I should say I'm still in the learning curve. Coilovers they are not...however that's not a bad thing. I started with 170 psi in the shocks...seemed a little to soft. bumped them to 180 psi...better....but still, went to 200 psi , now we are talking. The feel of the buggy ...as my son puts it, it's like riding on air. I have to agree with him. Like Bullnerd said, "stuff I used to be able to jump gets absorbed. ABSOLUTELY. there are a few areas on the compound I love to hit (the video shows 1/3 of my property) and it used to be the buggy would bounce out of control. Now, I feel like keeping it full throttle and rolling throw everything...

mikewb2 wrote:
That looks incredible, nice work! I just bought a frame to try my hand at a-arm front suspension utilizing an old Yamaha Warrior front end I have lying around, so I will be paying close attention to your front end build! I have zero fabrication experience or suspension geometry knowledge, so post a ton of pictures, if you don't mind!

I plan on posting a front suspension build. I am not aiming for a bolt on set-up, rather a full build that is reminiscent of the rear. I will try to explain my thoughts on this just as I have on the rear...I'm sure there are plenty of folks on here who will school me on the front build...Which is good cause I love learning...

fully wrote:
Hard to tell. But does the rear tire touch the fender at all. I know stock it comes awfully close.

Well, I've watched the video a couple..ok way to many times. As best I can tell by stopping the video over and over...the tire stays about 6" away from the fender. That was with 180 psi nitrogen. I bumped it to 200. I will bring my go pro mount home from work and take another ride....err...jump...and see what the video says.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 1:55 pm 

For the front suspension, I envisioned something with a bulkhead out in front of the frame's nose to support the forward mounts. Then trail the lower mounts to a plate/tube on the frame, with the upper trail link adjustable. It'll help keep the width down plus include some adjustability. Steering was the tough part since the tie rods were out front, but might be okay if converting to a P/S rack.

Bolting on quad arms, bolt-on kits....they're all so dang wide it seems. ANd you inherit all the (bad) geometry from a smaller lighter vehicle.

Stock j-arms are really limited by their ball joints. The shock mounts can be moved, but the balljoints can only go so far.

Here's what I had sketched up...but left it on the B/B. Needed to add a bend to the upper link out near the knuckle to clear the wheel ID.
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/viewtopic.php?f=104&t=9421&start=100

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 3:48 pm 

MIND BLOWN!

Different, Designed, Purposeful... I need to read your post several times to take it all in.

I love it!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:42 am 

What are you asking for a rear kit?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 6:50 am 

halorising wrote:

That's an interesting question. I didn't really set out to do this build to make money. I do understand though that there are plenty of FL350 owners that would enjoy this set up. The challenges in supplying a kit, versus having me do a build, is the fabrication that is still required. I've given it thought and still don't have a complete answer. I have been asked by a few for a kit, and I am working through details, but there are things to work out.

If a kit were available, buyers would absolutely need to realize that the finished suspension would depend on having all the mounts properly installed and correctly welded. I do realize there is a lot of technical skill and mechanical ability on this site. That said, I also realize that 1 improperly executed installation can start a shit storm of negative comments. I can't foresee a true bolt on kit as being the answer.

I am in the middle of building a couple of these set-ups for people. Once the next buggy is complete I should have enough hands on to collect my thoughts.

Question: Is this something a couple individuals would want as a kit, and assume the full responsibility for the installation. I'm open to consider.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:21 am 

methodical wrote:
halorising wrote:

That's an interesting question. I didn't really set out to do this build to make money. I do understand though that there are plenty of FL350 owners that would enjoy this set up. The challenges in supplying a kit, versus having me do a build, is the fabrication that is still required. I've given it thought and still don't have a complete answer. I have been asked by a few for a kit, and I am working through details, but there are things to work out.

If a kit were available, buyers would absolutely need to realize that the finished suspension would depend on having all the mounts properly installed and correctly welded. I do realize there is a lot of technical skill and mechanical ability on this site. That said, I also realize that 1 improperly executed installation can start a shit storm of negative comments. I can't foresee a true bolt on kit as being the answer.

I am in the middle of building a couple of these set-ups for people. Once the next buggy is complete I should have enough hands on to collect my thoughts.

Question: Is this something a couple individuals would want as a kit, and assume the full responsibility for the installation. I'm open to consider.

I would assume the full responsibility for a kit.
It would only make sense.
In the long run your stating that the kit is needing finished welding and good fab skills. How can anyone put negative impact on an item. If the end result is covered in bubble gum and dog dicks, caused by the end users inability to set up their welders, and understand all those cute lol lines of a tape measure.
LOL

I'm in!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 10:03 am 

Bolt on , sell it as metal sculpture so you don't get sued.....because you will.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 10:37 am 

I would love to do this as well. But I can see what will happen and I don't want to see another Dave-Co thing happen. In order for this to be done properly you almost have to install it yourself on everyone's machine. I say that because nobody has a perfectly straight 350. A little tweet here and bend there will throw everything out of wack. But I could use a good rear suspension to match my front.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:18 am 

Here's the thing with me, I'm not a fab guy. I'm a great mechanic I build street rods and all kinds of cool stuff with my cars. Funny thing is I'm even a general contractor and a plumbing contractor and I can't weld for s***. So I have to rely on people like Dave Co and other people to do my fab work on my pilot. The whole davco thing happened when he built something that was just plain messed up. I was at Dave's house when he was building my rear arms and he said one of the rear heim joints was just a little bit out of place. He said it won't affect the ride at all. But upon closer inspection the whole thing was out of whack the ball joints were locked down and back nothing was straight the arms don't match each other and it does affect the ride a lot. And that was on something that he built and installed. In another people stuff he just didn't do what he said. Looking at this kit for the 350 it looks really nice. From the axles to the links to the rear hubs the whole deal just looks really nice. I have a friend who owns a Fab shop all he does. It's called Jones fabrication in Upland California. Look him up he does great work one of the best fab guys I know out here. He fixed the whole upper cage on my pilot and did a great job. Welding this kid together and putting the tabs on would be a piece of cake for him. I have my 350 that has the Farr Offroad 500 Engine in it. It really needs better rear suspension. I'm waiting for my Farr Offroad front suspension still but I think with that and this rear end it would be a really nice riding 350

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:23 am 

N let's not start a hole davco bashing thread here. Not everything Dave did was bad he did a really good job on my frame in Upper roll cage. All of the suspension mounts everything was perfect. It was just the rear upper arms that were messed up. That whole thing with Dave got blown way out of proportion I didn't start that thread to bash on Dave I started it to show another rebuild on my pilot. That's all water under the bridge I have moved on.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next