Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:19 am 

I would notices while I would ride my front wheels shaking and when my son took it out yesterday I could really see them shaking . I jacked it up and was feeling what kind of play I had and they felt loose. The wheel bearings feel tight but there is a little play in the upper J arms not much just a little . I checked all the bolts on the front end to make sure they were tight they were all good

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:19 pm 

RJ1 wrote:
I would notices while I would ride my front wheels shaking and when my son took it out yesterday I could really see them shaking . I jacked it up and was feeling what kind of play I had and they felt loose. The wheel bearings feel tight but there is a little play in the upper J arms not much just a little . I checked all the bolts on the front end to make sure they were tight they were all good

Yup --- J arms must be snug. It's amazing how little play in the bushing causes a lot of wheel movement.
Also if a steering rod end is not tight on the wheel side will cause a lot of movement. I would check all rod ends on the steering and the bearing fit in the drum. Sometimes these get pounded out. A bent rim causes a big issue with wheel movement as well. How do I know ?? :-) Ran into all of those issues.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:27 pm 

The first thing I would do is jack the machine up at the front and slowly turn the front wheel. Can you see any wobble ?? You are looking for a bent wheel here. Set up a jack stand in front of the wheel with a piece of rod on it. That way it is easier to see a deviation.
My money says it's a bent rim or bushings pounded out on the J arms.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:14 pm 

Lets not forget the "non replaceable" ball joints and the slop that can come from those when they are loose.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:31 pm 

Also check rims for any stuck on dirt/clay on the rim which creates bad wheel balance issues.
First time I noticed this was racing At Northam Speedway.The ground there is heavy clay,when overwatered the turns were a quogmire,very sticky and clumps like dog bog on axmister.
Start the race and everythings fine,slow straight here,a few turns here and there all fine.THEN accelerating down the straight I thought my wheels were gonna exit like Brexit! :shock:
My steering yoke was shaking like a shaggin' dog!
Also braking at the straight's end would make the clay clumps slide around the rim and dam up around the air valve.
I then made up some PolyCarb mud covers to keep out the dogbog clay,no more Elvis in my yoke,and no more shaggin' dogs...Woof! :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:39 pm 

Randman wrote:
Lets not forget the "non replaceable" ball joints and the slop that can come from those when they are loose.

Rand

They are "non replaceable" but they are repairable.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:42 pm 

What Randman and others are saying is, you have to check everything because it all adds up to a lot of movement.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:02 pm 

canadian oddy wrote:
Randman wrote:

Rand

Unless I am wrong, I have never read a post which was finished with a definitive repair for FL350 ball joints. I have read that a certain ATV place in Arizona used to do replacements but currently I don't know of any repairs. CanOddy, if you know of a method to repair ball joints, please share.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:52 pm 

Randman wrote:
canadian oddy wrote:
Randman wrote:

Rand

Unless I am wrong, I have never read a post which was finished with a definitive repair for FL350 ball joints. I have read that a certain ATV place in Arizona used to do replacements but currently I don't know of any repairs. CanOddy, if you know of a method to repair ball joints, please share.

Rand

I did the repair and I did share, but I don't remember the post right now. Here are a few pics of it.
I hope we didn't highjack this thread.

Attachments:
20141211_003020.jpg
20141211_003020.jpg [ 39.56 KiB | Viewed 628 times ]
20141211_003037.jpg
20141211_003037.jpg [ 48.93 KiB | Viewed 628 times ]
20141214_230549.jpg
20141214_230549.jpg [ 38.76 KiB | Viewed 628 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:40 pm 

Also look for a build up of mud / dirt on the inside of the rim

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:09 am 

No keep going C.O the more information the better this is my first time working on the front end . I tighten up my right upper J arm now there's know movement in that wheel but my left still has a little play in it. I'm stuck through how do I get the arm off the knuckle the Manuel shows a tool and I need to get that off to change the bushing

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:00 am 

Can Odd,

That was the repair for the bent ball joint when your brother crashed, any idea of what to do for one that is just plain worn out?

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:46 pm 

We're is a good places to get the bushings I was looking on e-bay all that is on there is the J arms and that would be a waste because I would not know if those bushings were any good

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:28 pm 

RJ1 wrote:
We're is a good places to get the bushings I was looking on e-bay all that is on there is the J arms and that would be a waste because I would not know if those bushings were any good

speedchaser makes bushings. Should be a post on fleabay for them. I would pm him here and ask.
You will have to fab something up then to get your J arm off. Must be a ridge worn in the bushing and the journal. I'm a hack n whack guy and use a hammer.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:31 pm 

Randman wrote:
Can Odd,

That was the repair for the bent ball joint when your brother crashed, any idea of what to do for one that is just plain worn out?

Rand

Damn I wish I could remember that post.
If it is completely worn out you use babbit to replace the plastic sleeve inside.
I have not had to do this yet but I have the babbit ready. I am azzuming that's what you mean by worn out.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:42 pm 

canadian oddy wrote:
Randman wrote:
Can Odd,

Rand

Damn I wish I could remember that post.
If it is completely worn out you use babbit to replace the plastic sleeve inside.
I have not had to do this yet but I have the babbit ready. I am azzuming that's what you mean by worn out.

Well I guess you right Rand ---- this is all I could find on it -- viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14905&hilit=babbit
Wow I read that post and there was some prewarning in there by hondaharry about the crash that broke my back a year later. Freaky.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:59 pm 

That is freaky.....

Do, do, do, do,
Do, do, do, do.... (Imagine the Twilight Zone Theme while reading to DO's)!

The next stop, The Can Odd Crash Zone! :shock:

Let's hope you're riding a little slower these days! :-)

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:26 pm 

I was checking the bearings in the wheels again and the bearings seem fine but on the left side the distance collar has a lot of play in it will that throw me off also there was no bushings our collars on the bottom of the front shocks a lot of play in them . I just ordered the bushings and collars for the shocks but I can't find the distance collar anywhere any ideas

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:45 pm 

RJ1 wrote:
I was checking the bearings in the wheels again and the bearings seem fine but on the left side the distance collar has a lot of play in it will that throw me off also there was no bushings our collars on the bottom of the front shocks a lot of play in them . I just ordered the bushings and collars for the shocks but I can't find the distance collar anywhere any ideas

In the pics below please specify which item you are talking about.
Yeah no bushings in the shock wont help LOL.

Attachments:
front_brake.jpg
front_brake.jpg [ 79.9 KiB | Viewed 565 times ]
rear_swingarm.jpg
rear_swingarm.jpg [ 87.69 KiB | Viewed 565 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:23 pm 

Part number 7

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:24 pm 

On the first diagram

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:29 pm 

Part #7 is just a spacer. Don't think it will be an issue for you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:57 pm 

Good to know thank you

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:41 pm 

If your front end is wobbling Its most likely the J-arm bushings
grab the front tire on the top and try to move it in and out
look at the j-arm where it bolts to the frame if you see it move there the J-arms bushing are bad

You Can try to tighten them up by shimming them tighter
By putting A shim between item 3 and 13

shim size is 1-1/4 ID x 1-3/4 OD
you can buy them here http://www.mcmaster.com/mv1469047918/#catalog/3088a218/=13hbk5j

Or get a beer or pop can cut out your own

then start shimming in tell you have a little drag when tight
this should help

SpeedChaser

Attachments:
J-arm.jpg
J-arm.jpg [ 40.79 KiB | Viewed 546 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:42 pm 

I most likely be making more J-arm bushings this fall

Thanks Speed