Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 350 vs 400
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:14 am 

I have two 350's. I have modified both 350's, they both have long travel suspension on the front, and also that kit converted the front brakes to disc brakes. The suspension and braking on them is now really outstanding! But I'm always am wondering if a fl400 is that much better? Is it faster, is it a bit bigger, is the water cooled Engine that much more reliable?

I would love to get someone's expert opinion if I should replace the 350's with 400's? Is it really worth it? I have the chance to look at 3 pilots in the next week or so and don't want to pass up the opportunity if they are really that much better?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: 350 vs 400
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:29 am 

I had 3 fl350s. Now have 5 Pilots. I'd say with the mods you've done and the investment you've made in the 350's I'd keep them. The Pilots are much more expensive to buy parts for and with the mods you have yours are probably better than a stock Pilot

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:14 am 

It would be interesting to see a poll on this?!?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:02 pm 

Don't dive a FL400 pilot unless you want to buy one...

Yes they are that much better than most FL350's

The stock rear suspension on the FL350's are horrible!!!!
Most are pogo machines and although you addressed the front the rear will hold you back.

I personally think Honda screwed up making the drive shaft a supporting requirement of the rear end.

If you ever loose a driveshaft you will know exactly what I mean.

Otherwise the FL350 is a great machine...

Just my .02
Dennis

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:17 pm 

I'm with Duneit here. Keep the 350's.

The weak point in the 350 is really the suspension. With the modified front end and a pair of Works or Fox Air 2.0's on the rear, the Ody rides better than a stock pilot. Yes I have ridden both.

As far as power goes, the Pilot has a bit more torque on the bottom end. Now this can be remedied on the 350 with clutching.

As far as water cooling, the bore will last longer on the 400 and you can drive it like you stole it continually. In order for the Fl350 to have longevity, it needs to have cool down periods after being flogged hard.

As far as top speed, I believe they are pretty much the same.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:45 pm 

You guys are awesome, and really do appreciate the insight! One ody also has works performance on the rear, and stock on the second until I can find another pair for the 2nd one. I didn't realize fox shocks can fit on the rear? Does someone have instructions on that modification, or do they fit the stock mounts? Are there specs for those shocks?

How about the clutching comment, are the comet clutches the way to go to get more torque? Is the modification a big project, or fairly straightforward?

Thanks again
Mike

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:43 pm 

Just my .02

I have owned both and there is NO comparison between the two, Pilots do everything better. -::

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:58 pm 

MGurgone40 wrote:
You guys are awesome, and really do appreciate the insight! One ody also has works performance on the rear, and stock on the second until I can find another pair for the 2nd one. I didn't realize fox shocks can fit on the rear? Does someone have instructions on that modification, or do they fit the stock mounts? Are there specs for those shocks?

How about the clutching comment, are the comet clutches the way to go to get more torque? Is the modification a big project, or fairly straightforward?

Thanks again
Mike

Mike,

The clutch change is fairly easy to do, you just need a clutch puller and an impact wrench. You just need to decide whether you want mild or wild.

94c = Mild
102c = Wild

I will say the 102 takes a little but getting used to and if you are dong a lot of tight woods type riding then you don't want the 102c. The 102c is for duneing and hauling ass!

You already received my PM on the Fox 2.0's.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:51 pm 

i will give the pilot guys that the pilot rides so much nicer from what ive seen. fl350s ride bumpy and terrible. but ive seen some of these 400cc modded fl350 engines romp 500cc atv racing pilots. so like anything, both pros and cons. sounds like youve put in serious work on your 350s, my 0.2, don't trade them off for a plain pilot, get one with some goodies if you decide to go that route.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:24 pm 

Randman wrote:

The weak point in the 350 is really the suspension. With the modified front end and a pair of Works or Fox Air 2.0's on the rear, the Ody rides better than a stock pilot. Yes I have ridden both.

As far as power goes, the Pilot has a bit more torque on the bottom end. Now this can be remedied on the 350 with clutching.

As far as water cooling, the bore will last longer on the 400 and you can drive it like you stole it continually. In order for the Fl350 to have longevity, it needs to have cool down periods after being flogged hard.

Rand

What fox shocks? are they cheaper than the works?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:37 pm 

Elitespecialkid thanks for the input! As far as the fox shocks see randman's message in the above string. And yes they are a bit cheaper than then the works shocks. I haven't used them though, reach out to randman he was very knowledgeable about them, the fitment, specs.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:45 am 

mcali2 wrote:
Randman wrote:

Rand

What fox shocks? are they cheaper than the works?

Mike,

The Fox shocks are Fox Air 2.0 Part number 980-02-013

They require an adapter bushing on both top and bottom of the shock because the mounting eyelets in the Fox shocks both top and bottom are 1/2" diameter. I used the Works lower mounting kit for my Ody and I sleeved the top by using a copper tube.

The price is around 100 dollars cheaper for the Fox Air 2.0's. They are fully adjustable by changing the pressure in the shocks. Fox actually sells a small pump you can use to change pressures. I ran mine at around 275 psi.

Rand

Profile E-mail