Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FL 400 pulsar coil
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:39 am 

Engine cutting out at high rpm. Pulls great until almost wide open. Cleaned carb tried rejetting no difference carb is good. Checked ohms like said in shop manual on main coil good. Checked ohms at 4p connector not reading anything. Could this be problem? gotta pull crankcase cover to replace. When these go out no fire or just weak fire?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: FL 400 pulsar coil
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:49 am 

I have never heard of it failing. I guess it could be. Have you gone over your fuel pump and tank? Could the gas cap be plugged and not letting air in - creating a vacuum? Is the pulse line old and leaking air not working the pump properly? is the fuel filter plugged? Do a flow test on your fuel pump. What I'm sayings is I would go over the easy stuff first before I dig into the pule coil.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:12 am 

So you are reading nothing between the Bu/Y and G wires with 4P white connector unplugged?

Is your meter set correctly? Are you making good connections?

If you read nothing then I would think it would not run at all. Indicating an open state.

Attachments:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 40.27 KiB | Viewed 771 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:45 pm 

Have checked filter lines and did fuel pump flow test all are OK. New lines and clamps. Beginning to get really frustrated runs great except full throttle. Trimmed plug wire also. Can't seem to figure it out. Not getting anything when I do that pulsar coil test though. Stator checked good ignition coil checked good. Maybe bad connection somewhere?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:45 pm 

I'd install a new NGK plug, make sure it is gapped correctly.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:24 pm 

OK got new plug gapped still the same. Any thoughts? Been working on and off over a year trying to get running right. When I got pilot guy had coolant line hooked to balancer vent. Needless to say milkshake in this area and radiator. Took off cover replaced crank seal and oil seal cleaned checked stator all good. Also had to take radiator out and flush out as well. Been riding just can't open it all the way up. Any possibility antifreeze damaged pickup on pulsar coil? Runs excellent other than WOT (Wide Open Throttle).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:18 am 

Got new multimeter ran all checks per service manual. Guess meter was bad got good readings on all components. Now which direction. Recheck fuel delivery?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:40 am 

ridgerun wrote:
Engine cutting out at high rpm. Pulls great until almost wide open. Cleaned carb tried rejetting no difference carb is good.

That just says fuel to me.
I had my oddy act up this way and it turned out that the fuel pump didn't put out enough at full throttle. Yes I know you checked it but do you or can you get a hold of another one just for a test ?? Try to run on the reserve line to see if it makes any difference as your main line screen may be plugged in the tank. Can you see the screens in the tank with a flashlight ??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:07 am 

Can see screens they look like new. Tank is very clean inside no rust at all. Gonna try fuel pump test again. Think possibly any blockage in fuel valve? Anyone ever seen one partially clogged?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:03 am 

Could you have a clutch problem and revving out hitting limits? Try the simple test by putting a line on the clutch face using a black Sharpe. Drive it and see if the clutch is closing al the way allowing the bet to wear off the black line.

I would confirm the fuel flow again for sure. Sounds like the fuel system is clean. I hope the flap/check vales in the fuel pump are sealing properly.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:28 am 

Have you looked close at your intake manifold? Could it have a small crack?

Did you set you float to proper spec when you rebuilt the carb?

Just brain storming.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:52 pm 

Could be clutch issue have another factory was gonna put on this weekend but need to know bolt size and thread and pusher rod length. I know for a fact it isn't shifting all the way out. Here's pic

Attachments:
IMG_20170210_170752932.jpg
IMG_20170210_170752932.jpg [ 23.55 KiB | Viewed 704 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:04 pm 

ridgerun wrote:
Could be clutch issue have another factory was gonna put on this weekend but need to know bolt size and thread and pusher rod length. I know for a fact it isn't shifting all the way out. Here's pic

I am confused when I read this thread. You said the issue was the Engine cutting out at higher rpm. I don't think the clutch would cause that.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:18 pm 

Just out of curiosity, have you checked the the air filter? The only time I have had the issue of the Engine cutting out at high rpm's was when my air filter needed to be cleaned and oiled........seems like you have eliminated the spark and the fuel...

One of the easier things to check.......

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:20 pm 

canadian oddy wrote:
ridgerun wrote:

I am confused when I read this thread. You said the issue was the Engine cutting out at higher rpm. I don't think the clutch would cause that.

I guess I look at it this way. If you were driving a car and it was stuck in 3rd gear. You would never reach top speed. The Engine would be revving at high rpm and if you had a CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) with rev limit you may hit that limit and cut out.

I would change the clutch and see it it helps. I agree with cleaning the air filter. That should be regular maintenance.

I'm still confused on you meter readings. There must be something wrong there. Either you are not reading it right or there is something wrong with the connections. Since you are running I do not think it has much to do with your issue.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:20 pm 

I thought fl400 had rev limiter. Am I wrong on this what rpm does it cut out at. Anyone ever had a drive clutch not shifting right and hit rev limiter?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:33 pm 

Yes the Fl400 does have a rev limit. I don't know at what rpm it kicks in, but there is a good thread on here giving detailed steps to eliminate the rev limit. Was it Bill that sold a kit years ago with a new plastic housing and the 2 part epoxy to seal the CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) back up? I think I bought one. Never did mod my CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition).

I guess you could also mod. Your CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition), but you still need to get your clutch working to open your pilot up.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:36 pm 

Found it.....

viewtopic.php?f=109&t=1628&hilit=Bill+limit

Hoser states in this thread that the mod will let the Engine run after 7400 rpm.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:44 pm 

Yeah I don't want to do the mod. When you rev in neutral it's revs hard which makes me think could be hitting rev limiter. Just don't have factory clutch puller or bolt size. I have another good factory clutch. Just not a puller.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:08 pm 

Ridge - read this.....

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17253&p=165768&hilit=Clutch+puller#p165768

All I did was search clutch puller and reviewed the list until I found it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:11 pm 

Thanks!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:37 pm 

Any update on the problem you are/were having?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:46 pm 

Haven't swapped out clutch yet. Hopefully this weekend. Don't have a float gauge but don't think it's carb related as I took carb off my great running pilot no difference. Will know more on Sat. Next week will be finishing up bottom end on another one. Totally off topic but what is good rpm for my fl350 clutch to engage with leckich setup? This thing pegs out my Honda tach at 10000!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:21 pm 

ridgerun wrote:
Totally off topic but what is good rpm for my fl350 clutch to engage with leckich setup? This thing pegs out my Honda tach at 10000!

That depends on the pwr curve. Do you know where it is? ? If you don't then you will be experimenting with springs.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:30 am 

ridgerun wrote:
Haven't swapped out clutch yet. Hopefully this weekend. Don't have a float gauge but don't think it's carb related as I took carb off my great running pilot no difference. Will know more on Sat. Next week will be finishing up bottom end on another one. Totally off topic but what is good rpm for my fl350 clutch to engage with leckich setup? This thing pegs out my Honda tach at 10000!

Your engagement will be a personal preference and dependent on what type of riding you do.

If you are doing a lot of tight turns and slow riding then you'll want your clutch to engage right around 2800 which I believe is the stock clutch engagement rpm. Now if you're doing dunes or wide open fire roads where you want a hard launch, then go to around 3800 rpm.

Rand

Profile E-mail