Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:54 am 

Just got a hand me down yet FREE fl350. It's pretty rough so going through motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) first to test starting power. I noticed the choke cable was not connected to carb. I cleaned the carb and jets and need to know how or if I need the cable connected again? Currently there is a big bolt in choke hole to close off port. Help appreciated and will keep perusing the site for more details of help!

Michael

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:09 am 

Welcome to the madness!

Pictures of the carb please.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:24 am 

Welcome new guy.
I agree with Randman.
You need to post pictures so that we can all see what you got and give advice. Hard to do that when we can't see it. There are many things to check before you even start it, in my opinion. Would hate to see you blow it up and then have to spend a bunch of money on a free machine. First I would like to know how much mechanical ability you got ?? That would tell me a lot about the advice I would give you. When I post stuff here I am just azzuming you are a mechanic and know what you are doing. If I know you are new at it then I can adjust my advice.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:06 pm 

Thanks Randman and Can Oddy. Didn't think that through before adding post about pics and past experience. I will get some pics up tomorrow and post and we go from there.

I have little to moderate mechanical know how. I can read and follow YouTube vids, read schematics and manuals, -!: have actually maintained a hand me down ford 8n tractor. So I can do things, just have to figure it out. Thanks guys!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:17 pm 

fuesselfc wrote:
Thanks Randman and Can Oddy. Didn't think that through before adding post about pics and past experience. I will get some pics up tomorrow and post and we go from there.

I have little to moderate mechanical know how. I can read and follow YouTube vids, read schematics and manuals, -!: have actually maintained a hand me down ford 8n tractor. So I can do things, just have to figure it out. Thanks guys!

Well then based on what you have just said, here is a list to read. It is all the things you need to check before you even start it again. Trust me, I am not making this up out of thin air. I blew nine engines in a row before I figured it all out. Most of the time it did not run 100yrds and booooooom, honest. Others here will back me up. Check and fix ALL the things below and you are good.

Here is my list of things to check on an oddy when you are doing an Engine job or just purchased one.
1) Fuel - your fuel pump must put out about 4.5 oz/ten seconds and your fuel must meet at least the minimum octane rating in manual. I run straight avgas or you can mix it 50/50 with pump fuel.
2) Do the vent modification (optional but recommended) use the search box above.
3) Check your stock intake manifold - they're 30yrs old and crack just looking at them.
4) Check your reeds, they must seal or you could get low compression reading on your gauge. Make sure your gauge is accurate.
5) Engine MUST pass pressure and vacuum test - if it doesn't don't even start it, find the leak. I use 10psi max pressure and 10in vacuum in my tests and it must hold for half hour minimum.
6) Rebuild the starter, it is a big job after the Engine is in.
7) Gas tank - if it's rusty inside get it cleaned and coated at a rad shop. If you look inside with a flashlight and it looks like the pickup tubes are rusted I would tap the tank drain plug and draw fuel from there. Both my machines are like that now.
8) Original fuel pump and vacuum lines are junk now after 30yrs so replace them.
9) Remove the drive shafts and make sure the u joints are good.
10) Check the wheel bearings.
11) Over fill the transmission -- put two quarts of oil in it. It's a splash lube system and the driven shaft bearing don't get any lube unless you are driving so don't rev it in the driveway all day long
12) Adjust your brakes - I set them (F & R) so I can feel a bit of drag.
13) If doing an Engine rebuild do NOT use the paper base gasket as it blows out. Must use the metal one.

Using the search box above to find stuff:
The best way to find something here is to use the search box above.
In the search box type ONE word only and hit enter. If you don't you will get to many hits.
When the list of threads comes up there will be another search box there on the right.
In that box type ONE word only. Keep doing this as many times as you want until you have narrowed it down. Some common words will be ignored like "Engine" "Honda" etc.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:24 pm 

Many very knowledgeable and good people here on this site, Randman one of them. Most of us are middle aged and are mechanics or other highly qualified trades or business people. One of our members actually works for Honda but only shows up once in a while. We have people from all over the world here, French, Costa Rica, Aussie, Canadian, American. Lots of info on this site. Use the search box.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:36 pm 

holy crap Oddy, that's a lot of crap! I don't have a clue about the compression test or pressure stuff, never done any of that. inside gas tank look ok, and that's about all I can tell you. no idea how or what u joints do, so that will be a study up. Thanks for the heads up and I will keep you posted.

can I just add fuel, spark and battery to get it running, then go from there? as soon as I got it I did connect a battery to it and the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) does turn over, no gas in it though at time. I need new tires all around and I know the e brake is stuck in the "on" position by my terms. so going to that next, checking brakes as brake levers don't really pull in at all right now on the steering wheel.

I haven't look over site yet but I did see a all you want to know about oddy's post, and is there a odyssey newbie discussion or odyssey 101?

Thanks again for your help!!

Michael

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:44 pm 

Remember that your Engine is lubricated by the oil mixed with your fuel. If the Engine leans out due to air leak or faulty fuel filter it is not getting lubed properly and that is not good. Can't think of it like a four stroke Engine with oil in the crankcase. Make sure you use a good quality premix 2 cycle oil. None of that cheep weed eater oil. I run golden spectrum. I buy high octane fuel. Most gas stations call it premium.

Take your time and ask any question you have.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:05 pm 

fuesselfc wrote:
holy crap Oddy, that's a lot of crap! I don't have a clue about the compression test or pressure stuff, never done any of that. inside gas tank look ok, and that's about all I can tell you. no idea how or what u joints do, so that will be a study up. Thanks for the heads up and I will keep you posted.

can I just add fuel, spark and battery to get it running, then go from there? as soon as I got it I did connect a battery to it and the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) does turn over, no gas in it though at time. I need new tires all around and I know the e brake is stuck in the "on" position by my terms. so going to that next, checking brakes as brake levers don't really pull in at all right now on the steering wheel.

I haven't look over site yet but I did see a all you want to know about oddy's post, and is there a odyssey newbie discussion or odyssey 101?

Thanks again for your help!!

Michael

LOL, this is what i thought eight years ago when I got into the Pilot Odyssey 2 stroke Engine hobby. I wanted to just put gas in and go, but i soon learned these guys know what they are talking about and the 2 stroke Engine really need the TLC before getting in and running it like you stole it. Good luck with the new machine!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:56 pm 

fuesselfc wrote:
can I just add fuel, spark and battery to get it running, then go from there?

NO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:27 am 

Well turns out I have everything I need! The cable nut was packed with mud, so cleaned mud out and that is where the cable would go in then covered with the rubber boot.

Attachments:
File comment: Top view
IMG_4134.JPG
IMG_4134.JPG [ 57.08 KiB | Viewed 599 times ]
File comment: Side view
IMG_4135.JPG
IMG_4135.JPG [ 46.13 KiB | Viewed 599 times ]
File comment: Carb choke
IMG_4136.JPG
IMG_4136.JPG [ 59.99 KiB | Viewed 599 times ]
File comment: Choke cable
IMG_4137.JPG
IMG_4137.JPG [ 79.52 KiB | Viewed 599 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:03 pm 

I STRONGLY advise that you tear that carb down and soak it in a good quality cleaner for a few hours before going any farther. It's probably full of crap and it will give you fits when you try to get the Ody running properly.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:31 am 

I did learn and watch vids about cleaning carb and performed a good cleaning, didn't soak it as I didn't want to spend $27 for a gallon of cleaner I might use once! Honey looking crap all in the bottom of carb and jets were stopped solid. New fuel filters and spark plug and fires right up in a few starts. Did not have any intent of going anywhere with it, but just to start it. When I did pop it in gear forwards backwards it's didn't budge. Next thing is brakes and go one step at a time. I know the front brake handle doesn't move a bit, and the e brake cable doesn't move at all and the brake is in engaged mode.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:52 am 

I don't know if you got a manual for it but you can get a FREE pdf here: http://oddatv.com/fl250-fl350-factory-manuals/

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:26 am 

fuesselfc wrote:
I did learn and watch vids about cleaning carb and performed a good cleaning, didn't soak it as I didn't want to spend $27 for a gallon of cleaner I might use once! Honey looking crap all in the bottom of carb and jets were stopped solid. New fuel filters and spark plug and fires right up in a few starts. Did not have any intent of going anywhere with it, but just to start it. When I did pop it in gear forwards backwards it's didn't budge. Next thing is brakes and go one step at a time. I know the front brake handle doesn't move a bit, and the e brake cable doesn't move at all and the brake is in engaged mode.

Good ol fashioned Pine Sol is cheap and cleans the carb parts amazingly

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:34 am 

canadian oddy wrote:
I don't know if you got a manual for it but you can get a FREE pdf here: http://oddatv.com/fl250-fl350-factory-manuals/

Thanks oddy, have turned to that many times already

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:49 am 

Here is the pdf of the parts book with part numbers.
Keep in mind that a lot of that stuff you can't get anymore but it is available online at various places.
Note: don't order anything from Hondapartshouse if you can help it. Those guys are fkn clowns.

Attachments:
fl350 parts book.pdf [2.35 MiB]
Downloaded 77 times
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:37 pm 

Post a few pics of your machine from all sides and we can tell you what we see is wrong. That's what we do here. It is not that we are being nasty, its just so that you can fix what we see is wrong -- or not, up to you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:43 pm 

Any particular shots in recommended? Wheels on/off for. Takes, u joint pics? Well if I am questioning these I may just show you anyway. Best thread to post them on?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:04 pm 

Post the pics here. What ever you want to show.
You can only load 6 pics (I think) at a time. Then you have to go out, then you can load six more.

Profile E-mail