Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FL400 Shock Options
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:44 pm 

There's been some discussion on this topic, but mostly with fl350s. Seems like there are lots of 350 owners on this board. I'd like to get some more discussion about pilots.

It seems like there a couple options that fit the stock arms (front and rear) of the fl400 without any modifications, such as moving the shock mount.

Basically:

1. Stock shocks (Older. More shocks wearing out over time)

2. Works shocks (Pricier. Some of this board have complained of a couple quality issues)

It seems fox air 2.0 shocks can work with the stock arms, but require the shock mounts to be adjusted/relocated.

Does anyone know of other options? Thoughts/opinions?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: FL400 Shock Options
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:28 pm 

I set of stock shocks are decent, works are much better ride and a direct bolt on with no mod, no experience with the fox shocks.

You can always go long travel and have a major difference:()

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:43 pm 

Are the works a better ride than stock because the stocks are worn out or is the spring and damping rate better?

Long travel is definitely popular. Too bad the added bumpsteer is such a major issue to fix. If anyone know of shocks used for common LT setups, go ahead and list them here.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:37 am 

Yes the ride on the works shocks is much better. There are various options you can get with the works, obviously more options means more money. Spring rate and dampening is much better, works shocks can have a dual rate or triple rate spring and you can also order them with reservoirs.

For a long travel setup, I have only had experience with axis shocks and they work great! Fox are another option, but I don't have any experience with them. FYI bumpsteer is fairly simple, not too sure what the major issue is to fix?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:20 am 

I've rode in a 400 lb buggy that had fox floats with 10-12 inches of travel. It rode pretty well, but some of the smaller hardware can be fragile.

What kind of LT do you run with those axis shocks? +2,+4?

As far as bumpsteer goes, it's a simple concept, but requires a somewhat complicated approach to get the steering corrected. Some seem to use idler arms. Most of the time, it involves welding in additional tubes to the frame.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:14 pm 

The issue with the front shock brackets for one...involves the tie rod hitting the frame.
If you lengthen the A arms you'll need to setup the steering to eliminate the bump steer which also takes care of the rod hitting/bending when it comes in contact with the frame.
I have plus 2 A arms on my Pilot with 2.0s and it makes a world of difference, unfortunately I have not addressed the bump steer yet and with increased speed it can be quite scary when the ground gets bumpy. I extended my top mounts in front maybe an inch.. I'd measure it but snow doesn't allow access, my tie rods just kiss the frame at both droop and bump.
Regards

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:20 pm 

go oddy wrote:
The issue with the front shock brackets for one...involves the tie rod hitting the frame.
If you lengthen the A arms you'll need to setup the steering to eliminate the bump steer which also takes care of the rod hitting/bending when it comes in contact with the frame.
I have plus 2 A arms on my Pilot with 2.0s and it makes a world of difference, unfortunately I have not addressed the bump steer yet and with increased speed it can be quite scary when the ground gets bumpy. I extended my top mounts in front maybe an inch.. I'd measure it but snow doesn't allow access, my tie rods just kiss the frame at both droop and bump.
Regards

I never knew about the tie rods hitting, but that does make sense with +2 arms and longer A-arms. That steering damper exists from ATV racing, but that just ups the overall required steering effort. Some have tried power steering, which definitely helps, but even that is only good to an extent.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:32 am 

go oddy wrote:
Regards

Damn, that takes some big balls to ride like that. I would be terrified of having something happen to the tie-rod and loosing steering control. Please be safe buddy:)

Profile E-mail