Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:16 pm 

I have seen a few pics and people selling short stack air filter, how do these work quality wise?

I have some tires to buy, fronts are still correct size of 21x7x10, rears are currently 22x11x10. I believe i read smaller back tires help in the turning radius of oddy, true/false? About all i can think of right now. This forum board has been a life saver with the manual and one of the best groups of people around fpr questions?

Thanks, Michael

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:36 pm 

Air filter: basically the stock one is best.
Tires: the oddy seems to turn best when it has a square foot print. That means stock rear rims and a wider offset front rim. that's what my brother and I have found anyways.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:54 pm 

so does that mean keep tires to original spec per manual? I do still have the original gold rims on oddy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:54 pm 

fuesselfc wrote:
I have seen a few pics and people selling short stack air filter, how do these work quality wise?

I have some tires to buy, fronts are still correct size of 21x7x10, rears are currently 22x11x10. I believe i read smaller back tires help in the turning radius of oddy, true/false? About all i can think of right now. This forum board has been a life saver with the manual and one of the best groups of people around fpr questions?

Thanks, Michael

Mike,

The stock air filter sitting inside the stock air box works best for filtration but not for performance. One plus of the stock air box is that it creates a pulse resonance that assists with stuffing the fuel charge back into the combustion chamber in the low to mid rpm range. If you are running flat out like in the dunes or fast fire roads then the air box is not really required. In a nut shell, it all depends on what type of terrain you are going to be riding. Another plus of the air box is that it keeps the air filter enclosed so it keeps cleaner for a longer period of time. If you are going to run one of the stack filters, make sure it has a coarse filter outer wrap and then a nylon wrap over the top of that.

As far as the rear tires thing I have ran both 22 and 24" tires and have experienced no difference in turning. The offset of the front wheels does make a difference in turning. The narrower the track the better it will turn.

But.....

That also has to do with what type of tire you are running also. As an example, Can Odd is running a front tire which is actually designed to be a rear tire but that's what works for him and his brother. I have always ran tires in the front which are pretty close to the design of the factory tire which has all of the lugs with a large side profile which affords a better bite for turning but are horrible in the braking department. Again, it all depends on what type of riding you will be doing.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:03 pm 

So for front tires I have seen with a more flat look, some with a more high arch in it. Does the more arched tire grip better for turning? I am in Texas and I have ten acres for main use, mainly grass then tracked to dirt, no sand riding. FYI

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:38 am 

I agree with Randman

Keep the Air box stock. Maybe look at a dual inlet mod see pic

The turning Radius of a Oddy is crap anyway, tires wont help

Tires. I have always looked for a matched set, proper Steer fronts with rears to match
But there are a Lot of options

I run 23x8-10 on the front instead of the stock 21x7-10 But I ride bush tracks / fire trails
so the extra tire height helps with ground clearance

Rear 24x11-10 stock size see pic

Also have raised the seat height but 1.5" to help with clearance.

But Each to there own. As every one has different spin on things

Read do your homework ask ?s.

Attachments:
Bear Claw EX Tyre Info .jpg
Bear Claw EX Tyre Info .jpg [ 53.31 KiB | Viewed 382 times ]
File comment: Duel Air Mod
IMAG3010.jpg
IMAG3010.jpg [ 44.84 KiB | Viewed 382 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:21 am 

Thanks wyeeoddy!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:43 am 

Mike,

Here is what I run on my Ody and they work great. They are the Kenda Dominator series.

Rand

Attachments:
Steering Tire.jpg
Steering Tire.jpg [ 35.63 KiB | Viewed 362 times ]
Drive Tire.jpg
Drive Tire.jpg [ 50.65 KiB | Viewed 362 times ]
 Profile E-mail