Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:52 pm 

Two- and four-stroke recreational vehicles, hand-held power equipment, small engines and construction and farm equipment are commonly operated seasonally or infrequently, then stored for long periods of time. During these periods of inactivity, and as a result of fluctuations in ambient temperatures, water vapor can form condensate within the Engine. When this condensate comes into direct contact with steel and iron components, it forms surface corrosion on cylinder liners, piston rings, anti-friction bearings and steel/iron contact surfaces on rotational seals. Long periods of storage can also dry out cylinders, often resulting in permanent damage when the equipment is taken out of storage and dry-started.

Most two- and four-stroke motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) oils are formulated to have an affinity to Engine component surfaces, acting as a barrier that keeps condensate from contacting Engine components and forming corrosion. However, the effectiveness of motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) oil in this area diminishes with time.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:31 pm 

canadian oddy wrote:
If it was mine I would run some oil down the sparkplug hole and a bit of extra oil in the gas for the first run. The cylinder/bearings will rust with that water on it but I doubt the water was on it long enough to do any real damage. With a drained fuel tank I would put about 1 liter of fuel in it with extra oil and run it. Then fill your tank. Just my opinion.

Well its already had its first run but it did start with some premix with extra oil down plug hole.I will check compression again and post results.
Thanks everyone for the help :-)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:52 pm 

Just some after thoughts here. It is obvious that your air box mod is questionable since it let the rain fill your crankcase with water. So maybe re&re it ?? Another thing that struck me here is how did the water get past the reeds ?? I bet money that your reeds are gapped. The next time you have the carb off for any reason I would be checking for gapped reeds. I'm not sure if new reeds would keep standing water out as I haven't done any experimenting on this, but it is something to think about.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:44 am 

canadian oddy wrote:
Just some after thoughts here. It is obvious that your air box mod is questionable since it let the rain fill your crankcase with water. So maybe re&re it ?? Another thing that struck me here is how did the water get past the reeds ?? I bet money that your reeds are gapped. The next time you have the carb off for any reason I would be checking for gapped reeds. I'm not sure if new reeds would keep standing water out as I haven't done any experimenting on this, but it is something to think about.

I admit the airbox is not the greatest setup but I don't see it as a problem unless I get hurt again. Pilot doesnt sit outside but it has been through rainstorms before but I had prefilter covered with plastic bag and It hasn't been a problem.I could make another one and just eliminate the pre filter. Thanks for advice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:22 pm 

Checked compression tonight,it came down some but still high.It was at 195 tonight compared to pegging dial past 200 the other night.While I had spark plug out I went ahead and stuck some more premix{mostly oil}down the hole,put plug back in and turned it over a few times without starting it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:38 pm 

I may have missed it reading through all of the post but have you pulled the carb and gone through and cleaned it, pull the jets etc?
if so, then ck your fuel pump, if it starts on with a small shot of stating fluid id say you're not getting a fuel supply.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:53 pm 

redskinman wrote:
Checked compression tonight,it came down some but still high.It was at 195 tonight compared to pegging dial past 200 the other night.While I had spark plug out I went ahead and stuck some more premix{mostly oil}down the hole,put plug back in and turned it over a few times without starting it.

Not sure but something smells here, 195psi is real high.
Start up your air compressor and hook the compression tester to it. I wonder if your compression tester is crap. I have two testers and the USA one was good and the Chinamen one was out 20lbs.
Just a thought.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:03 pm 

canadian oddy wrote:
redskinman wrote:

Start up your air compressor and hook the compression tester to it. I wonder if your compression tester is crap. I have two testers and the USA one was good and the Chinamen one was out 20lbs.
Just a thought.

Yeah I don't know if it's the tester or not, like a posted earlier I was getting 175 with this tester before. I noticed the needle is not going all way back to zero but it's only going back to 10 so I wonder if it's testing 10 pounds high?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:18 pm 

redskinman wrote:
canadian oddy wrote:
redskinman wrote:

Just a thought.

Yeah I don't know if it's the tester or not, like a posted earlier I was getting 175 with this tester before. I noticed the needle is not going all way back to zero but it's only going back to 10 so I wonder if it's testing 10 pounds high?

You spiked that gauge when the crankcase was full of water. No idea what kind of reading you are going to get now. With it already not returning to zero there is now way to tell how far the calibration is out.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:53 am 

canadian oddy wrote:
redskinman wrote:
canadian oddy wrote:
redskinman wrote:

Just a thought.

You spiked that gauge when the crankcase was full of water. No idea what kind of reading you are going to get now. With it already not returning to zero there is now way to tell how far the calibration is out.

Yeah you're probably right.This one was considered pretty good gauge and recommended by other members but probably out of whack now
http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/pa ... ER91-29287

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:06 am 

redskinman wrote:
canadian oddy wrote:
redskinman wrote:
canadian oddy wrote:
redskinman wrote:

Just a thought.

Yeah you're probably right.This one was considered pretty good gauge and recommended by other members but probably out of whack now

I recommended it to you dummy lol.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:56 am 

stix wrote:
redskinman wrote:
canadian oddy wrote:
redskinman wrote:
canadian oddy wrote:
redskinman wrote:

Just a thought.

I recommended it to you dummy lol.

That's not how I remember it! lol
But I looked up the old thread and it was you{and MAS Racing} :-)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:18 pm 

Yeah well I think that snakebite scrambled your brain :shock:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:28 pm 

WOW snakes are lethal :shock:
By the way I hope you are healing well.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:54 pm 

Got a new compression tester in the mail today and did another test,according to new tester it was 176,which was what the old tester tested before I blew the bejesus out of it with that 200+ compression test :shock: :-)