Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fl 350 slow to idel down
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:27 pm 

The last couple of times I was out ridding Iv noticed when I let off the throttel it takes a while to idel down and if Iam going down hill the RPM'S stay high until I one to a complet stop . Iam thinking it might be the clutch sticking I have a 102 comet clutch on it . Would that cause this problem

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:03 pm 

A air leak will also cause your idle to be higher than normal. Examine your Engine closely focusing on the base gasket. You may want to do a leak down test. Just my thoughts, and also my experience with my pilot.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:35 pm 

Ohhhhhhhhhh
What rmesser said

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:30 am 

That was the first thing I thought of when it started so I did a leak test on it and it held 7lb for over 12 hours . That's why I was wondering if it could be the clutch

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:03 pm 

Choke partially open or throttle cable hanging up?

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:24 pm 

Choke is closed and the throttle cable not hung up on any thing

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:45 pm 

Could the intake boot be cracked? Stick with me - I assume you plugged the intake when you did your leak down test. Could the plug have entered the boot enough to seal the crack? Just a thought.

Take the belt off and see if it changes the way the Engine returns to idle. Or try the magic marker line on the clutch face to see if it is shifting all the way. I can not see how the clutch would not let the Engine idle down unless you were rolling to an idle.

May be time for some video or photos. You have me thinking hard on this one.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:27 pm 

I never went over the intake boot real good ill take it off and check it out . What I was thinking with the clutch was if it was not disengage all the way then your movement would still have controll off the RPM's. but I will rule out any air leak in the intake boot before I move on

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:33 pm 

Also when I have it in neutral and rev it up it idles down fine it only does it when I'm moving

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:55 pm 

RJ1 wrote:
Also when I have it in neutral and rev it up it idles down fine it only does it when I'm moving

Based on this I also believe it could be a clutch not returning to normal position.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:22 pm 

The intake boot is not cracked after putting it back on I sprayed stater fluid all around it and there was no change in the idle. I'm a little lost at what you said about the clutch no returning to the Normal position it comes all the way back out . I sprayed some comet dry clutch lub on it carful not to get any on the belt our were the belt sit's . And I checked the pressure after putting the boot back on still holds 7lb without dropping

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:07 pm 

The driven clutch is normally closed. The drive clutch is normally open. As the RPMs of the Engine increase the drive begins to close and applies pressure to the belt, transferring power to the belt causing the driven to spin and open with rotation.

You mentioned that you only have the high idle when you are moving. This could indicate that one of the clutches is not returning to its normal state (driven closed and drive clutch open) to allow the belt to no longer be engaged. Thus transferring the power of rolling from the tires to the driveline and rotating the Engine giving a higher than normal idle. You said if it is in neutral the idle returns normally.

Think of it as downshifting a manual clutch driveline, using the lower gears as a Engine break. The RPMs or idle of the Engine increase as you roll, until you come to a stop.

As you know the variable speed clutches do all the shift for you, so you are always in the right gear. Power when you need it and speed when you need it. That is when the clutches are performing properly.

If it was me I would remove the belt covers and observe the clutches in action. Placing a black line on the clutch face will also tell you if the clutch is opening and closing properly as the mark will wear off. If only part of the line is wore off then this would indicate the clutch is not allowing full travel of the belt across the face of the clutch.

Again just my thoughts.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:11 pm 

Anyone else have any ideas what would cause slowness to return to idle only when the machine is rolling?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:27 pm 

rmesser wrote:
Anyone else have any ideas what would cause slowness to return to idle only when the machine is rolling?

Makes perfect sense, to me anyway.

Profile E-mail