Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Drive belt question
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:28 pm 

I have a 102 comet clutch on my FL350 I bought a new comet belt just to have an extra one . I measured the belt that is on it now its 26.2mm the new one I just bought is 28.7mm I looked at the Manuel and the belt for a stock clutch is 30.2mm service limit 27mm.does anyone know what the service limit is for a comet belt

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Drive belt question
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:46 am 

RJ1 wrote:
I have a 102 comet clutch on my FL350 I bought a new comet belt just to have an extra one . I measured the belt that is on it now its 26.2mm the new one I just bought is 28.7mm I looked at the Manuel and the belt for a stock clutch is 30.2mm service limit 27mm.does anyone know what the service limit is for a comet belt

Sorry but I am old school. Had to convert some of this.
The belt you bought is 1 1/8" and the one on the machine now is worn to 1".
The 30mm is a 1 3/16" wide belt. That is stock size I believe.
If you are running a smaller belt on the 102c comet then are you sure you bought the right clutch for the FL350 ?? The distance between the fixed and moveable faces determines which belt you need for that clutch. These can be taken apart and shims removed or added to the main tube for different belt widths. That's how the 94c is adjusted anyway, and probably the same for the 102c. The key here is to make sure you are using as close to stock belt as possible so that the driven (rear shiv) has the correct belt driving it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 4:17 am 

Something doesn't pass the smell test here.
You either bought:
A) the wrong belt right from the start B) the wrong clutch.
Measure the gap on the clutch. Get a pair of dividers and measure the distance between the two faces. If you don't have dividers then cut a piece of paper and measure it. What is it ??
I believe the correct part number for the 102 is #213999A. Check your bill of sale.
http://www.mfgsupply.com/213999a.html

That 1"belt is a cooking fuse. It could go off at anytime in my opinion.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:23 pm 

The 102 comet clutch was on the oddy when I bought it and the belt that is on it . I bought the new belt from ODD ATV and I told him Ii was running the 102 comet clutch he said this is the belt for it I never gave him the belt numbers but there both the same numbers

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:54 pm 

RJ1 wrote:
The 102 comet clutch was on the oddy when I bought it and the belt that is on it . I bought the new belt from ODD ATV and I told him Ii was running the 102 comet clutch he said this is the belt for it I never gave him the belt numbers but there both the same numbers

I think you need to do some research on what you really got. Just my opinion.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 5:15 pm 

You need to be running a 1 3/16" belt for that rear driven clutch to work as intended.
That worn belt is going to roll over soon I bet.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:34 am 

While doing reasearch on clutches and belts for my Drakart I spent lots of time on snowmobile forums and one thing I learned is many drive belts are sold new already close to the manufacturers minimum tolerances. Not all belts are the same width no matter what the specs for them show. I run an arctic cat clutch and there are two solutions for my clutch to compensate for belt width.
1 is shimming but it's not a fun job on my clutch.
2 is they make a mounting bolt for the clutch that has a adjustable collar and allows the clutch to belt tolerances to be easily adjusted to compensate for belt wear.

I know this really doesn't help much in this situation just thought it was good food for thought.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 1:59 pm 

After doing some reasearch I found I have a 102C John Deere comet clutch on it part # 208306A the one I should have is the 213999A and the belts I have go with that one . But what I don't understand is that the new belt is just shy of the rear drive clutch limet . Would it be a problem if I just go with a stock belt it would be the same length and the wright width for the rear drive clutch . I'm wondering now to if this could be my problem with it not idling down after I let off the gas .

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 3:14 pm 

RJ1 wrote:
After doing some reasearch I found I have a 102C John Deere comet clutch on it part # 208306A the one I should have is the 213999A and the belts I have go with that one . But what I don't understand is that the new belt is just shy of the rear drive clutch limet . Would it be a problem if I just go with a stock belt it would be the same length and the wright width for the rear drive clutch . I'm wondering now to if this could be my problem with it not idling down after I let off the gas .

Like I said above -- measure your current drive clutch gap between the faces. Is it 1 3/16" ??
If not you may have to run that skinny belt but it is to narrow for the driven. That worn out 1" belt might be causing your issues. Not sure what to suggest to you. You may be able to shim that 102 for the wider belt but I have never had to take mine apart yet, so not sure what to tell you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 3:27 pm 

This is what I am talking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CSa1BT4d3Q

Edit: In your case you may not be able to remove enough shims because I am not sure how many shims there actually are to remove.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 4:07 pm 

I will have to pull the clutch and check how many shimes are there . What should the proper gap be between the belt and sheaves just by looking it looks like 1/4 inch now I will check it to make sure

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 4:12 pm 

RJ1 wrote:
I will have to pull the clutch and check how many shimes are there . What should the proper gap be between the belt and sheaves just by looking it looks like 1/4 inch now I will check it to make sure

If you already have a 1/4" gap between that worn belt and the shiv then your good. Buy the wider 1 3/16" belt.
I hope you got the specialized tools you need for that job because I know I don't.
Sounds to me like you just bought the wrong belts.

Edit: Take some pics and post so we can see what you see.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 6:19 pm 

C.O your wright about the belt being the wrong one I'm trying to track down the belt for the clutch I have . I will take some pic in the morning to show you what I see .thanks for the help.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 7:55 pm 

RJ1 wrote:
C.O your wright about the belt being the wrong one I'm trying to track down the belt for the clutch I have . I will take some pic in the morning to show you what I see .thanks for the help.

The belt my brother and I run is a Dayco HP3004
It's a bit longer than the stock one but it works for us. It will look real loose. But it works. I have a 102c on my machine and my brother has a 94c. There is another advantage to running this belt that I have not shared yet. It is loose enough that it does not spin the gearbox when you are idling so you won't grind the box when you put it in gear. Also your Engine is spun up before you get moving and it seems to go good for us. Others can chime in here and tell you what they run.

EDIT: Here are some specs:
Honda #704148 Length: 43.33” (43 21/64”)OC Width: 1.13” (1 1/8”)
Dayco HP3004 Length: 44.125” (44-1/8") Width: 1.187” (1-3/16")

The Dayco is about 3/4" longer and 1/16" wider but it works for us.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 8:02 pm 

By the way always buy two. The second one (spare) gets tie wrapped to the rear down tube.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:57 pm 

Any update on this ??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:43 pm 

The gap between the belt and the side is 5/16 so I think I'm good there I put the new belt on which is 1 1/8 in width still over the limit of 1 1/16 . I'm looking to buy a wider belt 1 3/16 . What should the gap be between the belt and side of the clutch be . You don't get much wear on a belt before its limit about an 1/8 of an inch

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:48 pm 

RJ1 wrote:
The gap between the belt and the side is 5/16 so I think I'm good there I put the new belt on which is 1 1/8 in width still over the limit of 1 1/16 . I'm looking to buy a wider belt 1 3/16 . What should the gap be between the belt and side of the clutch be . You don't get much wear on a belt before its limit about an 1/8 of an inch

You want about a .030 gap. Any gap is good as long as it is not tight on the belt in my opinion.
Yeah get the 1 3/16" because that's what you need.

Profile E-mail