Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Another Pilot problem
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:10 am 

I have a question for you gurus out there. Been riding for a week straight now at the Oregon Dunes. I have a Pilot that used to run like a scalded dog. Still runs great but after a couple tanks of gas, (once a day) I have to change the spark plug. It's running rich. I took the carb apart and found a 138 main jet, 52 pilot jet, and needle on 2nd clip. I didn't change anything because this is an 89 and it's already one size smaller on the main than factory specs. This thing hasn't gone through a plug in 2 years and nothing has been changed. Clean air filter. Didn't check compression. Could that be the problem? Thanks!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:35 am 

Dave,

Compression is probably not the issue.

There could be a small grain of sand in one of the air passages. Get a can of carb cleaner and spray out every passage within the carb, put it back together and try again.

Check to make sure the choke cable is smooth sliding and working properly allowing the choke plunger to close completely. Another culprit might be the choke plunger itself. If the rubber stopper in the base of it is worn out, the choke circuit might be just ever so slightly open causing a rich condition.

Another issue is that the float valve could be worn causing gas to flow by the valve under high RPM's. Double check the float level.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:56 am 

Randman wrote:
Dave,

Compression is probably not the issue.

There could be a small grain of sand in one of the air passages. Get a can of carb cleaner and spray out every passage within the carb, put it back together and try again.

Check to make sure the choke cable is smooth sliding and working properly allowing the choke plunger to close completely. Another culprit might be the choke plunger itself. If the rubber stopper in the base of it is worn out, the choke circuit might be just ever so slightly open causing a rich condition.

Another issue is that the float valve could be worn causing gas to flow by the valve under high RPM's. Double check the float level.

Rand

I completely cleaned the carb. Bought new pilot jet holder, (broke the one in it) . I'll check the choke. circuit. Or it'll wait until you get here!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:48 pm 

Balancer oil level ??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:32 pm 

canadian oddy wrote:
Balancer oil level ??

How would balancer oil level affect it running rich?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:04 pm 

Duneit wrote:
canadian oddy wrote:
Balancer oil level ??

How would balancer oil level affect it running rich?

The oil would contaminate the plug real fast.
It's just something that could happen if you lost a seal.
But my money is with Randman right now.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:21 pm 

Lifted the air box lid by setting the two rear lid clips under lid and now runs like a raped ape again with no plug fouling.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:40 pm 

Thanks for letting us know.
Now I am interested in the compression because you said you had a clean air filter.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:05 pm 

Duneit wrote:
Lifted the air box lid by setting the two rear lid clips under lid and now runs like a raped ape again with no plug fouling.

http://www.pilotodyssey.com/intake-mod.htm

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:39 pm 

I have 5 uni air box little circle filters cut into air box also.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:40 am 

Dave,

If it's already jetted with a smaller than normal jet at sea level and opening the air box makes it run better, then putting more air through the Engine by removing the lid is masking the issue that the carb is delivering more fuel than is required. I'm still betting it's choke related.

I'll look at it when I come up that way! LOL

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:56 am 

Any update on this ??
What was the issue causing it ??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:36 am 

canadian oddy wrote:
Any update on this ??
What was the issue causing it ??

No. CO, It's my vacation home where all my toys are. I get there every couple months or so. Won't be back until next month. I did buy a complete replacement carburetor I plan on installing though. Thanks for all your help.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:30 am 

Duneit wrote:

Those little filters DO NOTHING to they are like drilling Five 1/4" holes in your air box by time you factor in all the restrictions like the foam, filter oil, support plastic to keep the filter in place etc. add 40 of them filters to your air box you might see some benefits . Air takes the least opposition to flow the air sucks through the large open factory opening long before considering flowing through those little restrictive Uni filters the factory hole flow also LOWERS the negative pressure inside the air box compounding the problem because of the less negative static pressure at the location of the Uni filters.

Remove the lid off the air box (not recommended other than testing) or do the PROVEN air box mod where you double the intake openings.

I would remove the uni filters and seal the holes water tight before you end up sucking water into your Engine $$$$ I have seen that water sucking act on other ATV's in the past guys that "never ride water" blasting through water after the unexpected freak rain storms during ride trips. No location on the Pilot air box is safe for those type filters.

What prompted you to replace the carb, what are you replacing it with?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:25 pm 

Those little air box filters actually made a difference in a couple of my Pilots.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:25 pm 

hoser wrote:
Duneit wrote:

Those little filters DO NOTHING to they are like drilling Five 1/4" holes in your air box by time you factor in all the restrictions like the foam, filter oil, support plastic to keep the filter in place etc. add 40 of them filters to your air box you might see some benefits . Air takes the least opposition to flow the air sucks through the large open factory opening long before considering flowing through those little restrictive Uni filters the factory hole flow also LOWERS the negative pressure inside the air box compounding the problem because of the less negative static pressure at the location of the Uni filters.

Remove the lid off the air box (not recommended other than testing) or do the PROVEN air box mod where you double the intake openings.

I would remove the uni filters and seal the holes water tight before you end up sucking water into your Engine $$$$ I have seen that water sucking act on other ATV's in the past guys that "never ride water" blasting through water after the unexpected freak rain storms during ride trips. No location on the Pilot air box is safe for those type filters.

What prompted you to replace the carb, what are you replacing it with?

The Pilot used to run incredible. Still does when air box is lifted in rear. I bought a stock carb from member here. It's easier to have the parts on hand in case I need them while on vacation. I accidentally broke the pilot jet holder in the carb while cleaning it and it cost me over $50 to overnight a $12 part. I am realizing that I need parts on hand or else riding is done. I contemplate selling them but then I ride them and there's no way I want to sell!!! There just isn't anything that compares. :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Profile E-mail