Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: REAR SHOCKS!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:06 pm 

Ok, I'm not spending $699 on the base works ones. I might end up selling it but need one rear one after blowing an axle 15 or so years ago. There is a guy on another board that says he got polaris snowmobile shocks too work but of course doesn't say what model or year or front/back etc... Anyone know the units I'm talking about? I can probably find 20 sets around here or the whole sled for less than the works units.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: REAR SHOCKS!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:14 pm 

bnokle wrote:
Ok, I'm not spending $699 on the base works ones. I might end up selling it but need one rear one after blowing an axle 15 or so years ago. There is a guy on another board that says he got polaris snowmobile shocks too work but of course doesn't say what model or year or front/back etc... Anyone know the units I'm talking about? I can probably find 20 sets around here or the whole sled for less than the works units.

You have just found a unicorn if you can find shocks off another machine that fits.
Many here have tried to find the unicorn.
I personally feel you can run a shock 1/4" longer but it WILL require some modification. I do not want to comment on what I mean by that because I have not done it yet, but am certain it will work. I believe Randman has done something but he had to run the rear wheels at a steep camber.
The FL350 oddy shocks can not be more than 15.25" or you will get u-joint bind.
I fixed a shock that was bent like a horseshoe for a guy. Put it in a press and some V blocks. Its a lot of fooling around but it can be done. Works shocks is out of business. Try ebay or amazon or fix yours.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:17 pm 

That's why you must build shock savers for the FL350 oddy.
Pictures please.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:42 pm 

I haven't messed with the thing for so long I don't know what you are talking about but assume they are straps too keep wheel in and not bend the shock?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:14 am 

Here is the link to the ones I made for our machines: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15745&hilit=shock+saver+chain

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:43 am 

Unicorn indeed! lol

Go too short and you lose travel.

Go too long and you bind the axle u-joints.

Works knows this, hence charges a boatload for custom-spec shocks.

You can always move the rear shock's upper mounts up (esp. if you're not running rear fenders) to permit running taller shocks. But then you need to make sure the shock has the right spring & valving. You can always change your upper mounts, get some fox 2.0 shocks setup for the weight of your rig/rider, and run bump-stops & shock-savers.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:32 pm 

Just purchase a set of the Fox Air 2.0's. They work great.

I used an installation kit from works for the bottom mount and the top mount was a smaller 1/2" diameter bolt. Because of this, you need to put a copper tube to take up the space in the upper shock mount.

To alleviate the problem of the bottom mount all that is needed is a reducer bushing for the bottom mount.

I'll elaborate more when I have more time.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:58 am 

Here are some tidbits from my Fox shock installation.....

1.) The Fox Air 2.0"s are adjustable for valving and nitrogen pressure. I ran mine at 275 psi which worked for me but were "too stiff" for my Son in Law who weighed in at 160 pounds. There are high pressure hand pumps for sale that you can use to adjust the shock pressure to your liking. I believe they come off the shelf at around 130 psi.

2.) The length of the Fox Air 2.0 shock is 15.29" so adjustment may or may not be necessary. Of course this would be dependent upon each individual Ody so one must check the U-Joint clearance. My tires were not be at a steep camber as Can Odd mentioned.

3.) The upper and lower eyelets on the Fox 2.0's are 1/2" so the Ody hardware is a no go. Both top and bottom mounts will require the use of bushings to compensate for the size difference. The bottom will require two bushings placed into the swing arm just as required with the works shocks. The bottom of the shock will also require spacers placed against the swing arm to allow for its arc type travel, just like the Works shock do. I actually used the works lower mounting kit to mount my Fox shocks.

4.) The top mounting bolt was also a 1/2" bolt and I used a piece of copper tubing inside the upper shock mounting through hole to compensate for the smaller 1/2 mounting bolt. This bolt was also held on with a flange nut just like the Works chock except that you don't have to leave it loose because the upper shock has a Heim joint unlike the Works or Showa shock. Note that this requires a spacer on the inside and outside of the Heim joint to allow for shock movement.

Here is a video of my Ody with the Fox shocks installed with my fat ass in it. I you look at around 1:23 you can see the Ody's rear tires actually have no negative camber. At around 1:40, I do a small jump so you can see the rebound characteristics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gfIWksuRUo

Rand

Attachments:
U Joint Clearance.JPG
U Joint Clearance.JPG [ 32.78 KiB | Viewed 472 times ]
Upper Shock Mount.JPG
Upper Shock Mount.JPG [ 47.71 KiB | Viewed 472 times ]
Linkage adjustment.JPG
Linkage adjustment.JPG [ 38.42 KiB | Viewed 472 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:58 am 

I'm going to try and make a set of shocks off a 2008-2013 arctic cat thunder cat 650-700-1000 fit. Supposed to be 15.5 so I'll see. I can move a mount if I have too. I have two welders but I'm lazy and really I'd be happy just able to roll it around. I boght them on ebay for $35. I'll buy better ones when and if these can be made to work.

Profile E-mail