Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Fl350r jetting help
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:51 pm 

1) Piston looks good to me
2) Reeds I would try to flop over and then see what it looks like
3) As for the intake I would pressure test the Engine with the intake boot on after you got it all together. Spray soap water around it and check for any bubbles. If no bubbles your golden -- "for now"
4) With the center mount intake boot you will end up having to cut the Engine/transmission mount so that you have clearance for the carb float bowl. Instead of cutting the original I would make a new one out of a piece of flat bar

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:13 pm 

Thank you for the advice > on the Engine and reeds . is there a link to a leak down test for the 350r ? Ive never done one

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:23 pm 

Threerivers wrote:
Thank you for the advice > on the Engine and reeds . is there a link to a leak down test for the 350r ? Ive never done one

Attachments:
2 stroke pressure testing.pdf [314.03 KiB]
Downloaded 63 times
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:59 pm 

Thank you all for the help. I have a 138 main jet for it now as per manual for altitude above 5,000 feet .I decided to pull the slow jet. The manual says nothing on the slow jet in the high altitude page. The slow jet I pulled out is a 38 do I need to change this to a 45?? or some other number ?? thanks again for every ones time on this .

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:05 pm 

Threerivers wrote:
Thank you all for the help. I have a 138 main jet for it now as per manual for altitude above 5,000 feet .I decided to pull the slow jet. The manual says nothing on the slow jet in the high altitude page. The slow jet I pulled out is a 38 do I need to change this to a 45?? or some other number ?? thanks again for every ones time on this .

No you use the same slow jet but you just have to adjust your air screw. Depends on altitude but usually a turn more out.
The oddys are virtually un-driveable if your slow jet is wrong. It will spit or bog if it is wrong. Setting your slow jet is important. I do have a thread here on beginners jetting that explains the set up.

Edit: here ya go: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17445
I call it a pilot jet, but what ever, its the same thing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:40 pm 

What I just put back in is the 38 slow jet, 138 pilot jet, and put the needle jet E clip in the 3rd slot air fuel screw lightly seated turned out 2 full turns . Right now I'm at 7,083 feet , In the morning I am going to family cabin at 9,600 so I think I will have to do many plug chop's thank you all

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:09 pm 

Threerivers wrote:
What I just put back in is the 38 slow jet, 138 pilot jet, and put the needle jet E clip in the 3rd slot air fuel screw lightly seated turned out 2 full turns . Right now I'm at 7,083 feet , In the morning I am going to family cabin at 9,600 so I think I will have to do many plug chop's thank you all

I am a bit confused on the jet names here.
The 138 "pilot jet" as you call it is what I believe is your main jet.
The 38 "slow jet" as you call it is what I believe is your pilot jet.

At those high elevations (cabin at 9600) I believe you will have to go lower on the "main jet" and leave the "pilot jet". You will have to open your air screw one turn, check the altitude correction chart for the main jet. You will know if main jet is way off because it will be flat/boggy at full throttle.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:52 pm 

I thought the main jet was inside the little cup right under the drain plug .that is now a 138 it was a 125 . What I am calling the slow jet is in a recessed pocket in the carb body and can not be reached through the drain plug , you have to remove the float bowl to get to it . That jet is a 38 . the P.O. must have really tuned it it his or her altitude ,I think they changed every jet in there . sorry for no pics It fired up but now I got in a hurry and did not tighten the fuel bowl drain plug all the way .Thought I was flooding out. float needle stuck Patience !!!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:09 pm 

Threerivers wrote:
I thought the main jet was inside the little cup right under the drain plug .that is now a 138 it was a 125 . What I am calling the slow jet is in a recessed pocket in the carb body and can not be reached through the drain plug , you have to remove the float bowl to get to it . That jet is a 38 . the P.O. must have really tuned it it his or her altitude ,I think they changed every jet in there . sorry for no pics It fired up but now I got in a hurry and did not tighten the fuel bowl drain plug all the way .Thought I was flooding out. float needle stuck Patience !!!!!

Yup you are right now but you did call the #138 a "pilot jet" earlier and it confused me.

Edit: Those jets seem to be on the lean side to me. I am thinking 145 main and a 55 pilot. But you are riding up high and that is usually two main jet sizes down and one turn on air screw (same 55 pilot).
If your still air cooled you better be running good fuel. If not and your jetting a bit off, that would be recipe for disaster. Fuel flow is ??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:38 pm 

My bad on the other post. would these jets be ok if I make it a little rich ? I am going up tomorrow . I will stop in the Alamosa shop and pick up a few pleas give me your best guess at the jet sizes I will need to get . I will be up there 2 weeks . Unless this Odyssey wont run up there then I will come back for the Rzr .. thanks for your time on this ... CO .

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:51 pm 

Well I hate guessing because I don't want to see you blow it up.
But I will give you my best guess with no guarantees.
For pilot jets: 55, 50, 45
For main jets: 145, 140, 135 and your 138
You really need one of those small induction tachs to be able to set your pilot jet size, but guess is 50.
As for your main jet because you are riding up high I would say the 138 main jet.
Air screw open 2 1/2 turns.
These are my best GUESS.
I would also suggest very good fuel -- Avgas/pump gas mix or a race fuel/pump gas mix.
Oh god here it comes :-) :-)

Edit: the problem here is that it is a new machine to you and I did not see you comment if you had a chance to check all of the stuff I posted on the previous page. That means you and I have both got no clue what condition this Engine is in at this point. These things are sensitive to fuel octane, fuel flow rate, any air leaks and jetting. Get any one of those things wrong and your Engine is done. This is a dangerous endeavor at this point. If you got a woody and have to take it then I would strongly recommend the fuel mix above until you get a chance to check everything.
Amen.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:30 pm 

Lol no body's fault but mine . If it blows ,winter project I'm stuck on workmans comp for another 8 months or more . I started it kept it running with the throttle. For 10 or 12 min blue smoke like a nitro RC car out of the pipe. got Idle set ran down the ally and back .Let it idle for at least another 5 min pulled the plug looked good so far. Will do it again for longer in the morning . and post pic's of the plug

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:58 pm 

Threerivers wrote:
Lol no body's fault but mine . If it blows ,winter project I'm stuck on workmans comp for another 8 months or more . I started it kept it running with the throttle. For 10 or 12 min blue smoke like a nitro RC car out of the pipe. got Idle set ran down the ally and back .Let it idle for at least another 5 min pulled the plug looked good so far. Will do it again for longer in the morning . and post pic's of the plug

Well based on the above statements I am happy to hear you are expecting to do a rebuild LOL.
"kept it running with the throttle" -- well how much riding fun do you expect to have with that ??
"blue smoke like a nitro RC car" -- how well do you think it is gona run ??
If it blows up then it's gona be 500 bucks for piston and parts but on a positive you will have a "winter project".
I just feel that is an unnecessary cost for what is going to be a shitty riding experience. Just my opinion.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:00 am 

I really don't want to blow it up ! I have good compression . have not done the fuel pump test. I will when i get to cabin leak down was done with 8 psi and was good. I will not ride hard while up there its mainly a shakedown for this machine. it is set per manual with 138 main, the manual says 45 slow so. I will pick one up on the way to the cabin. and the needle (E ) clip is in the 3rd notch , I am just looking to see what works best for high altitude riding. what other use at elevations over 5,600n feet that won't blow up my machine. I was really hoping someone has a high altitude jet set up that works for a good starting place to tune. I will be easy and let you know what happens thanks so much for the help CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:18 am 

Threerivers wrote:
I really don't want to blow it up ! I have good compression . have not done the fuel pump test. I will when i get to cabin leak down was done with 8 psi and was good. I will not ride hard while up there its mainly a shakedown for this machine. it is set per manual with 138 main, the manual says 45 slow so. I will pick one up on the way to the cabin. and the needle (E ) clip is in the 3rd notch , I am just looking to see what works best for high altitude riding. what other use at elevations over 5,600n feet that won't blow up my machine. I was really hoping someone has a high altitude jet set up that works for a good starting place to tune. I will be easy and let you know what happens thanks so much for the help CO

"have not done the fuel pump test" -- OH MY
"I was really hoping someone has a high altitude jet set up that works" -- Machines are as individual as people. They have a personality. What works for my machine won't work on yours. Some can run pump gas and others can not. One Engine may have a small air leak and other does not.

Basically what I have found is the "high altitude" set up is two main jet sizes smaller and an extra turn on the air screw from the stock setting in the manual. But I only ride from sea level to just over 5000'.
I am more concerned with fuel octane and pump flow rate. Gets these wrong and it's over. The high octane will cover you if something is not right -- up to a point. Check out the photos below. My brother and I both blew the base gaskets and no poofkaboom. Look at the pistons. I didn't even notice until we got home except they ran shitty, they were on Avgas at the time.

Attachments:
File comment: My machine
20140907_222042.jpg
20140907_222042.jpg [ 33.22 KiB | Viewed 280 times ]
File comment: mine
20140908_172711.jpg
20140908_172711.jpg [ 31.79 KiB | Viewed 280 times ]
File comment: My brothers machine
20140909_124835.jpg
20140909_124835.jpg [ 44.49 KiB | Viewed 280 times ]
20140909_134847.jpg
20140909_134847.jpg [ 36.6 KiB | Viewed 280 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:50 am 

Well I got to the cabin and changed the jets all around . I must say I am pretty good at pulling the carb off this machine now. I did a fuel pump test but I am not sure I was doing it right. When doing the fuel pump test do you just let it idle or do you give it gas? I tested it at idle and came up short just under 4 oz. I will do a rebuild on the pump. I ran 2 tanks of gas through it. I ended up with the 125 main jet and 38 slow. needle jet clip on the 3rd notch . with the air screw 1 .3/4 out. Ran good has plenty of power plugs were light brown . I will post some plug pics and more info tonight. Thank you all for the help

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:23 pm 

Threerivers wrote:
Well I got to the cabin and changed the jets all around . I must say I am pretty good at pulling the carb off this machine now. I did a fuel pump test but I am not sure I was doing it right. When doing the fuel pump test do you just let it idle or do you give it gas? I tested it at idle and came up short just under 4 oz. I will do a rebuild on the pump. I ran 2 tanks of gas through it. I ended up with the 125 main jet and 38 slow. needle jet clip on the 3rd notch . with the air screw 1 .3/4 out. Ran good has plenty of power plugs were light brown . I will post some plug pics and more info tonight. Thank you all for the help

When I test my pump I do not run the Engine.
I remove the line from the carb and then crank it over with the starter.
The Pilot manual I believe says to run it but then you would have to use the return line to the tank as a supply for your measurement. But that's not what I do because I don't like the potential fire hazard. Also I want to know the supply at the carb not the return, also I have a steady rpm using the starter. I feel my way is more accurate. Have had no problems doing it my way but both will probably work.
Quote: "came up short just under 4oz" ---- see what I mean by steady rpm ??
That tells me your pump "may" be on the way out but it could also be the way the test was done.
I want 4.5 oz in ten seconds measured with a stop watch.
Your "just under 4oz" is probably still ok but needs to be kept in the back of your mine for the future, but I still don't like it.
Just my opinion.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:30 pm 

Threerivers wrote:

What kind of fuel were you running ??
If Avgas then the light brown sounds good to me.

Profile E-mail