Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fl350r jetting help
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:11 pm 

I Live at 7,600 feet in Colorado , we have a family cabin in the mountains at 9,600 feet and I ride up to 12,500 . I just got this Odyssey and am not sure what jets are in it yet .I was told by previous owner he got it from Ca. northern I think . does anyone know what size Jet's for the altitude I will be riding at ? Stock pipe, Uni air filter, and I am doing the air box mod this weekend . No other mods that I can see . thanks for the site..

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Fl350r jetting help
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:24 pm 

Welcome new guy.
I seen your first post in the members profile section.
Read this post: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17445
Others may attack me here for saying this but pay particular attention to fuel flow and fuel octane. It's deadly to an oddy if it is wrong. Also setting your pilot jet seems important to the drivability of an oddy. I run Avgas and go from just above sea level to over 5000' in a single ride. No issues and no re-jetting.
I have blown 9 pistons in a row and many times it never went 100yrds before blowing up. It took a while to figure out the issues with my machines. Each machine has a personality -- honest. But rest assured if you get the above wrong you will find out they are evil. There are many posts on this site as proof.
Searching for info:
The best way to find something here is to use the search box above.
In the search box type ONE word ONLY and hit enter. If you don't you will get to many hits.
When the list of threads comes up there will be another search box there on the right.
In that box type ONE word ONLY. Keep doing this as many times as you want until you have narrowed it down. Some common words will be ignored like "Engine" "Honda" etc.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:36 pm 

As long as you run high fuel octane and have good fuel flow (4.5oz in 10sec approx) then you can get away with it if your jetting is not perfect. But in my opinion, if you are running crap pump gas your ded. If you want to run pump gas your Engine better be in very good condition and your jetting better be spot on.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:38 pm 

List of things to check:

Here is my list of things to check on an oddy when you are doing an Engine job or bought one.

1) Fuel - your fuel pump must put out about 4.5 oz/ten seconds approx and your fuel must meet minimum octane rating in manual. I run straight avgas or you can mix it 50/50 with pump fuel.
2) Do the vent modification - use the search box above.
3) Check your stock intake manifold - they're 30yrs old and crack just looking at them.
4) Check your reeds, they must seal or you could get low compression reading on your gauge. Make sure your gauge is accurate.
5) Engine must pass pressure AND vacuum test - if it doesn't don't even start it, find the leak. I use 10psi max pressure and 10in vacuum in my tests and it must hold for half hour minimum.
6) Rebuild the starter, it is a big job after the Engine is in the machine.
7) Gas tank - if it's rusty inside get it cleaned and coated at a rad shop. If you look inside with a flashlight and it looks like the pickup tubes are rusted I would tap the tank drain plug and draw fuel from there. Both my machines are like that now.
8) Original fuel pump and vacuum lines are junk now after 30yrs so replace them.
9) Remove the drive shafts and make sure the u joints are good.
10) Check the wheel bearings.
11) Over fill the transmission -- put two quarts of oil in it. It's a splash lube system and the driven shaft bearing don't get any lube unless you are driving so don't rev it in the driveway all day long
12) Adjust your brakes - I set them (F & R) so I can feel a bit of drag.
13) If doing an Engine rebuild do NOT use the paper base gasket as it blows out. Must use the metal one.
14) Must build shock savers. Use the search box above.
15) Replace the rear springs with 155lbs units. Stock ones are way to stiff.

Some good reading an info here: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=15392&hilit=danifold

And here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17468

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:06 pm 

I can only ride up to around 5200' max around here.
Below is a chart for altitude corrected jets.
It looks like you will be running a .90 correction approx and an extra turn on the air screw.

Attachments:
Jetting altitude correction.png
Jetting altitude correction.png [ 103.34 KiB | Viewed 633 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:47 pm 

Thank you all I mix 32: 1 and use 91 octane gas is this ok ??? I run 91 in my rzr and all chainsaws .I was told not to use anything lower than 89 octane with no ethanol ,hope im doing this right its been 23 years since ive run an odyssey. thank you all for the info and help ( P.S. ) does anyone know of a exhaust silencer that will quiet the 350r down a little bit ??????

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:49 pm 

Yes, 32 to 1 ratio with 91 octane fuel will work just fine as long as it's not jetted lean.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:33 pm 

Thank you both !! I have been reading a lot of the Information on this site. I think I will do a compression check pull the carb , check to see what jet's and settings its on . At the same time do the air box mod , and test the fuel pump flow rate. The previous owner said he had 50:1 mix in it .I have a new plug in it and fresh 32:1 91 octane gas in it . The old spark plug looked like it was running rich But also looked like a fairly new plug .

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:42 pm 

Threerivers wrote:
Thank you all I mix 32: 1 and use 91 octane gas is this ok ???

My personal opinion and personal bias -- NO. Others disagree. It's your machine and we all make our own choices. I have had bad experience with pump gas but it may have been the engines I have and their setup. Just my opinion.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:54 pm 

You do have me interested though -- you said previous owner ran 50/1. Is that still an air cooled machine ??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:58 pm 

I finally figured it out..... :-)

Can Odd has to run aviation fuel... his wheels are never on the ground! Being an ex racer he probably drives his a lot harder than most do. This being the case and the fact he always complains about crappy Canadian fuel he has no choice, he has to run aviation fuel. Only a couple of people here on the forum use it. If you don't drive like you are constantly qualifying, you don't need av gas.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:21 am 

Randman wrote:

Can Odd has to run aviation fuel... his wheels are never on the ground! Being an ex racer he probably drives his a lot harder than most do. This being the case and the fact he always complains about crappy Canadian fuel he has no choice, he has to run aviation fuel. Only a couple of people here on the forum use it. If you don't drive like you are constantly qualifying, you don't need av gas.

Rand

:-)
Well after that crash that broke my back, I had 8 days in hospital to think about it. I have now slowed down a lot so maybe I can run that crap pump fuel now, just like all you also ran's.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:47 am 

This is an old thread but has some really good info and arguments regarding Avgas or pump fuel: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9418&hilit=Avgas
Edit: Read the part by pilotscott about a third of the way down. The whole thread is a good one in my opinion, so if you got time read it all.

At the end of the day the Avgas cured my melted piston problems. I don't know why. I don't care. All I would like to add is if anyone is having holed piston or melted piston problems then run some Avgas and at that point make up your mind.
It's possible you could have a girl machine.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:49 am 

canadian oddy wrote:
Randman wrote:

Rand

:-)
Well after that crash that broke my back, I had 8 days in hospital to think about it. I have now slowed down a lot so maybe I can run that crap pump fuel now, just like all you also ran's.

I'm gonna have to go with CO on this one. I do drive the machine hard - WOT (Wide Open Throttle) every chance I get and slam on the brakes into turns only to WOT (Wide Open Throttle) out of them - and after installing 5 pistons, i switched to av fuel. My "girl machine" is now on her third tank and running better than she ever has. Starts on the first turn over, every time. Oh, and av fuel is cheaper than a top end rebuild. Smells better too.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:44 am 

Thank you all for the . Yes it is still air cooled I will be going to water cooled head in the .I have no problem running airplane fuel most towns have a small airport mine is no different they have fuel there . the Oddy seems to run good but I am in town and have not got the chance to really ride it. I have installed new plug and will be trying to tune. I am looking for an exhaust temp gauge now, any advice on where to tap it into the pipe?? ( P.S. ) sorry to hear about your back C.O. I have had 3 surgeries on my right wrist, and can only ride with the thumb throttle now, wrist will not work a standard motorcycle throttle , having a hard time with it my Harley just sits... thank you all for the help and info

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:29 pm 

Threerivers wrote:
Thank you all for the . Yes it is still air cooled I will be going to water cooled head in the .I have no problem running airplane fuel most towns have a small airport mine is no different they have fuel there . the Oddy seems to run good but I am in town and have not got the chance to really ride it. I have installed new plug and will be trying to tune. I am looking for an exhaust temp gauge now, any advice on where to tap it into the pipe?? ( P.S. ) sorry to hear about your back C.O. I have had 3 surgeries on my right wrist, and can only ride with the thumb throttle now, wrist will not work a standard motorcycle throttle , having a hard time with it my Harley just sits... thank you all for the help and info

This next statement will really stir up the pot and cause some arguments here. Probably highjack your post.
I found the exhaust temp gauge virtually useless.

You can't use it to jet your Engine. Your Engine must be ready to go. Then you watch your gauge and when the temp gauge goes up you back off before you melt a piston. Well buddy if you are watching gauges then you are not watching the road. Your about to have a real big wreck. What are the chances you will be looking at a gauge just before it blows ?? I found that in my race car I only had time to look at the gauge on the straight. In fact we hooked up our water temp and oil pressure to a relay that killed our Engine if it reached a certain temp or pressure. I just had no time to look at them. Another reason I feel the gauge is useless is because of all the engines I blew up on the oddy's. My brother told me his gauge never went over 1100'F and yet we had a hole in the piston. We installed the gauge because at the time we were having issues keeping engines together. He was watching the gauge when it blew a hole in the piston. Gauge is FN useless so don't waste your money. Both our gauges are now sitting in a parts box under my workshop bench.
Just in case you still have a woody to put some bling on your machine -- probe goes 2 3/4" from the head. Pic below.

Attachments:
Photo0626.jpg
Photo0626.jpg [ 44.82 KiB | Viewed 559 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:04 pm 

I agree with Can Odd. Don't waste your money.

Learn to jet it properly and you'll be able to beat it like a runaway step child!

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:20 pm 

Back to the fuel thing for a moment.
I am not telling you that you must run Avgas. That's not true. Randman and others run pump gas successfully. I can't. Each machine has a personality. Yours may or may not run on it. But if you blow a hole or melt the skirts on a piston then it's over, run high octane fuel. I used to mix 50/50 Avgas/Premium. I now run straight Avgas, because of the hassle of mixing.

On a side note here, you said it is an air cooled machine and the guy you bought it from ran 50/1 mix. Wow. Everyone needs to make note of this in my opinion. Someone with and air cooled should be a test pig and try it. I run 50/1 but my machines have homemade liquid cooled heads and cylinders. My machines don't smoke at all and run good.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:29 pm 

Thank you both !! I just pulled the air box and could tell right away the rubber intake is cracked. So I stopped there and am looking for a new intake anyone know where to get one? . Besides.. the bay or what other machines that might have one that will work??? thanks for the info on the Egt gauge . save me some money

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:39 am 

What ever you do, don't buy one from Aftersucksmotrsperts.
Don't want to get into it again here but see pic below.
You will also note that it is a center mount and the original oddy is offset to one side.

Attachments:
20140619_013805.jpg
20140619_013805.jpg [ 45.08 KiB | Viewed 535 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:46 pm 

I have seen the afterthought motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) sports in threads on here .I will stay away Dmoney said hed give a good word for Pilot oddy people to the guy selling Dani-folds on evl bay. In doing research on here I see you can use a 1988 cr250 reed cage will the intake boot fit the stock 32mm carb? Also I pulled my carb the main jet is 125 ?? the needle clip was on the 5th position . Manual says for over 5000 feet 140 and 4th pos. zero to 22 deg F and 138 main needle on 3rd pos. at 22 deg F to 104 deg F . Do I need to mess with the slow jet or the needle jet ???? Also the needle number is 3 bc ?? is this the stock needlethanks for the help

Attachments:
20170817_160221.jpg
20170817_160221.jpg [ 75.03 KiB | Viewed 516 times ]
20170817_160201.jpg
20170817_160201.jpg [ 69.25 KiB | Viewed 516 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:36 pm 

Threerivers wrote:
I have seen the afterthought motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) sports in threads on here .I will stay away Dmoney said hed give a good word for Pilot oddy people to the guy selling Dani-folds on evl bay. In doing research on here I see you can use a 1988 cr250 reed cage will the intake boot fit the stock Klein carb? Also I pulled my carb the main jet is 125 ?? the needle clip was on the 4th position . Manual says for over 5000 feet 140 and 4th pos. zero to 22 deg F and 138 main needle on 3rd pos. at 22 deg F to 104 deg F . Do I need to mess with the slow jet or the needle jet ???? thanks for the help

In my opinion, the guy selling intake boots on Ebay is price gouging and no amount of talking will get him to lower his prices. I hope that this statement is incorrect!

I have a brand spanking new 1988 CR250 manifold in my possession and I can tell you, yes the intake boot will fit the stock Keihin carb. However.... there are some major problems.

1.) Unlike the FL350 manifold, the CR250 manifold mounting rubber boot is centered so there will be an alignment problem with the intake elbow.

2.) When using the CR250 manifold, the left side upper Engine mount will interfere with the carburetor bowl.

3.) The CR250 intake is also shorter so it doesn't properly mate with the elbow which attaches to the lower air box.

As far as jetting goes, unless your Ody has porting, or other modifications such as reeds, a larger carb or an aftermarket exhaust pipe, follow Honda's recommendations to the letter for jetting which means no changes to the slow jet or the needle itself. On the other hand, you may have a girl Ody and may require a different than factory setup!

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:47 pm 

LOL that what i was thinking for sure Rand.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:49 pm 

Well I pulled the reed cage and intake boot. Bonus , I thought with the reeds they look like aftermarket to me. the rubber in the intake boot has hairline cracks on one side no where else. on the inside its shows slick surface. So I am going to run with it and save up for a new one. I have a question about the reeds now . When holding the cage up to the light in the center reed . I can see a few specks of light through it , only the center reed and only on one side . I am guessing they need replaced ??

Attachments:
20170817_175627.jpg
20170817_175627.jpg [ 63.6 KiB | Viewed 510 times ]
20170817_175733.jpg
20170817_175733.jpg [ 50.6 KiB | Viewed 510 times ]
20170817_175744.jpg
20170817_175744.jpg [ 53.42 KiB | Viewed 510 times ]
20170817_175548.jpg
20170817_175548.jpg [ 79.18 KiB | Viewed 510 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:31 pm 

Does anyone see any reason not to run this after a compression check the previous owner ran 50: 1 mix but said he only put 20 hours or so on it in 8 years. Sorry the best I could do for pics .

Attachments:
20170817_185801(1).jpg
20170817_185801(1).jpg [ 31.04 KiB | Viewed 509 times ]
20170817_185914(1).jpg
20170817_185914(1).jpg [ 31 KiB | Viewed 509 times ]
20170817_185457.jpg
20170817_185457.jpg [ 59.37 KiB | Viewed 509 times ]
20170817_185646.jpg
20170817_185646.jpg [ 52.32 KiB | Viewed 509 times ]
20170817_185849.jpg
20170817_185849.jpg [ 44.13 KiB | Viewed 509 times ]
 Profile E-mail