Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:00 am 

I finally gathered up everything to reassemble my Dakart. I rebuilt the Engine about two years ago and did not do the valve guides when I had the head rebuilt and it turns out the we're so worn out they were hanging up my valves.
So last thanksgiving I pulled the head and started buying all the little things I needed ,being a car Engine parts are generally cheap most I got from rock auto for pennies on the dollar. My 35$ head gasket was 8$ a 300$ set of injectors was 100$ as an example.
So in keeping with my luck it turns out a gasket on my turbo failed and was making contact with my turbo impeller. Basically wore it down to nothing.I replaced the factory turbo when i rebuilt the Engine last time and went with one off of a Audi,brand new 85$ shipped as opposed to 1200$ for a factory one when u can find it. The suprising part is I still had tons of power and didn't realize there was an issue. My turbo would work loose and riquire frequent wrenching so I decided to attach it and the exhaust with vband clamps.
While gathering up my parts I came across a brand new drive clutch and figured I just bought a brand new driven clutch so I had to have it.
So whIle I'm having the valve guides replaced I decide to go to oversize valves, like I don't already have enough power but seemed like a waste to not do it. Will defiantly compliment my cam.
So after almost a year I have everything sitting here and once it cools off a little I can start reassembling it all.
That's about it, once I get going on it I will post more. I know none of this info dose not really apply to any of u guys but thought someone may enjoy the read.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:42 am 

You cheap azz. Pictures pal pictures !!
Most of us do like looking at blown up stuff. Pics of the head, valves and turbo would be nice. Pic of the car would do nicely as well.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:26 pm 

I hear ya. I will get some pics.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:20 pm 

Old turbo impeller

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 48.66 KiB | Viewed 825 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:24 pm 

New turbo impeller. Removed the hot side to have a friend of mine weld the V band clamps on

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 45.12 KiB | Viewed 825 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 58.19 KiB | Viewed 825 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:26 pm 

Purchased a coolant line kit for the turbo. I had one go out on me before and was a two hour trail repair. Not fun.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 77.01 KiB | Viewed 825 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:32 pm 

A baby turbo -- that's cute.
Looks like it poo'd it self too.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:39 pm 

And that's larger then the factory turbo. The smaller it is the faster it spools up which means turbo power hits at a lower rpm. When I punch it it comes on around 1500 rpm. Will spin the tires on asphalt.
Guess what I'm saying is its plenty for my little 3cly.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:35 pm 

Na this is a real turbo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKEIOsxjpjQ
I love rotaries :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:23 pm 

Bolted the block back in yesterday and got the head torqued down. My new intake gasket was cracked so will be a week before a new one arrives. Tomorrow I'll install the timing belt and adjust the valves. I also need to adjust the advance springs in my distributor.
My turbo manifold is getting welded up as I type this so I should have it back tomorrow.
Still need to notch my new clutch to accept my Heel Clicker weights.
Also need a battery. I'd like a Lipo but are just so expensive.
I'm by no means in a race to finish it,gonna take my time.
I'll get some pics tomorrow of my progress.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:07 pm 

Did a little more today. Installed the rocker assemblies ,the timing belt and timing belt cover also adjusted the valve lash.
Took a few pics to give a general idea.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 85.71 KiB | Viewed 757 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 93.34 KiB | Viewed 757 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 33.02 KiB | Viewed 757 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 76.08 KiB | Viewed 757 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:32 pm 

No offence and I am not bad mouthing your car, but those frame tubes look small. To me they look like they are no bigger than an oddy frame tube. But the difference is that you are running a turbo auto Engine :shock: . Is it just the pics ?? If not then where is the survivability in a crash ??
Did you cut those frame tubes off (across from clutch, second pic) with a sawzall ??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:10 pm 

Yep I took a Sawzall to it. Figured I dI'd not need that bothersome frame getting in my way.
Sorry I couldn't resist.
I don't know the tube size off hand. I suffer from self induced short term memory loss. Guess I could get off the couch and measure it.
No the frame is not cut. As u may recall I did reinforce the roof after my roll over/ endoand cross braced the top of the nose and each side as well as front shock mount area.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:13 pm 

They had to design the frame so u can remove the Engine as well as have access to the clutch. As it is now I have to pull the head if I want to remove the cam as well as to remove the Engine. Has to be installed block first then bolt on the head.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:14 pm 

FloridaEdd wrote:
Yep I took a Sawzall to it. Figured I dI'd not need that bothersome frame getting in my way.
Sorry I couldn't resist.
I don't know the tube size off hand. I suffer from self induced short term memory loss. Guess I could get off the couch and measure it.
No the frame is not cut. As u may recall I did reinforce the roof after my roll over/ endoand cross braced the top of the nose and each side as well as front shock mount area.

Yup I do remember that post.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:21 pm 

1.5" measured the rear down tube.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:40 pm 

Scary.
I think in a real crash it's gona fold up like a cheap Chinese lawn chair.
I think the oddy's with the sled engines are sketchy too.
Feel that way because of my big crash two years ago. I hit that washout at highway speed (about 55 mph). Destroyed the buggy. Hate to see what happens when you are doing some real speed.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:44 am 

Well it rolled a few times and did an endo at least once but if I lost it doing one of my 80 mph runs and smack a tree I don't think more metal is gonna help me.
How much more metal would have protected u ? I don't think it makes much difference after a certain point.

But u are sort of correct it is more of a lawn ornament now. Not quite a lawn chair but if I climbed in there it could be.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:08 pm 

FloridaEdd wrote:
Well it rolled a few times and did an endo at least once but if I lost it doing one of my 80 mph runs and smack a tree I don't think more metal is gonna help me.
How much more metal would have protected u ? I don't think it makes much difference after a certain point.

You have a point.
I basically hydraulic'd my spine and crushed the L1 vertebrae.
No amount of metal or even no metal at all will stop that kind of physics.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:21 am 

Gonna set up my new clutch today. I have to notch it it fit my clutch weights. I've done a few others but it is a time consuming job as they all have to match as close as possible as to not affect the clutches balance.
I make a templet so my pilot holes are placed exactly the same. Then I use a large drill bit which removes a majority of the material and the rest I do by hand with a file.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 59.61 KiB | Viewed 702 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 50.35 KiB | Viewed 702 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:12 am 

Ready to be trimmed then filed

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 48.95 KiB | Viewed 699 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:09 am 

Getting there

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 51.02 KiB | Viewed 694 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 35.47 KiB | Viewed 694 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 88.69 KiB | Viewed 694 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 38.05 KiB | Viewed 694 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:28 pm 

Done. Looks pretty good.
Had to order some new weight bushings as mine had more play then I would like.
Will post a pic latter.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:58 am 

Edd, I am following along and paying close attention on your removal/installation as I think I will be removing my own Geo Engine soon also. After many many trouble free miles, I was having a little too much fun at Silver Lake recently and didn't notice it was overheating until I saw some white smoke in the mirrors.

Elementary question.. It looks like you just leave the FNR box completely in place and remove the head, then the block separately?

Mine is the non-turbo. I am wondering about either rebuilding this Engine or maybe finding a used turbo Engine and do the rebuild on that.

Regarding your heel clicker mod. Does heel clicker provide you with measurements for the reliefs made in the clutch case or are you just working from experience here? Any worry of thinning the aluminum casting too much there? What specific performance gain will the heel clicker provide with the Geo powerplant? Any extra thoughts on this appreciated.

Best of luck on your assembly.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:31 am 

At least u were having fun.
Yes the Trans can stay in place. Removing the lt rear upper shock bolt will let the shock swing out of the way.
I'm willing to bet u can get away with a rebuilt head. Have to pull it first so might as well at least consider that depending on what u find.
I'm a big fan of this Engine 1987 Chevy sprint turbo. It was ahead of its time with aluminum block, multi port fuel injection ect.
I've seen complete pull out engines for 500 to 800$ complete rebuild head ect will run less then 200 on parts plus any machine work. The stock turbo is expensive. There is a company that makes tube headers that u can then use a easily sourced turbo. I think these headers are about 250$ I made my own.
If doing all this I'd upgrade ur cam. There is a company that regrinds the stock cam. They have different profiles depending on how much power u are looking for.
You can also get a cam for you're Geo Engine from the same company.
I'd be more then happy to help u any way I can which ever way you go.
They do have a template but I never had one. I tape over the area right next to the weights so I do not damage that surface.
The 9 tower clutch is very strong and notching has no effect on strength.
I went with the heel clicker weights because it gives extra belt grab on takeoff but the weight is on the heel which cancels out once the weight reaches a specific point.
Also being adjustable I can tune it without having a lot of different weights laying around.
There is a forum I go to for my Engine which would be a good source for info and a Engine. I'll send u the forum info.
Any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Profile E-mail