Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:23 pm 

Hi all! I am looking at buying this odyssey https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/snw/ ... 77155.html .

Does anyone see anything wrong with it? I have talked to the guy about it and he says the only thing wrong with it is the starter.

I plan on looking at it soon, is there anything I should look for? Weak spots, compression check, etc? Any particular questions I should ask?

What do you guys think a fair price for this jalopy would be?

Thanks in advance! :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:10 pm 

It looks decent and does not appear to have been rolled. Top cage looks good. Fenders are intact which also could be an indication of not being rolled (if new ones weren't bought). I bet that frame is straight. Looks like original tires.
Here is my list:
1) He says starter no good. That's a first warning sign to me. It better start and run.
2) Take a compression test. I say 130 lbs. If less then you may be looking at a rebuild.
3) Take a close look at rear brake disk and ensure it is not all scared up or has cracks as that indicates brake issues back there. He may have run the pads to nothing and getting a new rear disk is not possible anymore. No one makes them so you will be making your own.
4) Face the oddy and ensure front tires are straight up and down and grab each wheel by hand and push/pull on it. If there is lots of play then the J arm bushings are shot
5) The rear suspension will be super stiff, even non existant. Honda boo boo on this. Spring rate on the back is way to high. You will need to buy 155 lb springs approx. Make sure they are not leaking. There is no after market replacements unless you buy the super expensive Works or Fox. I do rebuild mine but have had spotty results on them lasting before another re&re.
6) Look under machine for dents from rocks in the frame
7) Look at the frame around the Engine for cracks. Sometimes they crack in this area.
8) Jack it up and turn each wheel by hand. Feel for bad bearings. If the bearings on the rear have spun in the outer race that will require purchasing hard to find parts.
9) Feel and check the rear drive axels. They are real expensive to replace. You can get u-joints but you need a reamer, tools and skill to replace them.
10) Take a very close look at the intake manifold. Most of the originals are rock hard now and have cracks. This will cause a lean out condition and you WILL blow your Engine. It will almost certainly have to be replaced.
11) Ask him if he has ever done an Engine rebuild on it. If so ask what bore it is on. 82mm is the max and then you will be buying a new cylinder or getting it re-sleeved.
12) Ask him if he has ever pressure/vacuum test the Engine. If he says no then there is no way to be sure this Engine won't require a tear down when you get it home. If it don't pass the tests don't even run it again until it does.
13) The transmission should shift smooth from neutral to foreword and reverse. It will grind slightly when you put it in gear as this is normal for an oddy. If not going in gear I would seriously think about passing.
14) That bad boy is air cooled so you better run fkn AVGAS -- you have been warned.

Edit: You must also check the gas tank for rust. Many are rusted inside and the pickup tubes will be partially blocked or plugged.
Edit again: Do the brakes work ?? If not you will be buying a rebuild kits.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:23 pm 

On a side note here I hope you are expecting to spend money on your toy. Search this site and read the various threads. It will give you a good indication of the issues and costs associated with these machines. Nothing in life is free or trouble free, that includes a wife or girl friend, fishing, hunting or gambling.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:30 pm 

As for your question on price ------------ I would pay the 2G if it passes the above check list but if it don't then I would pay less. It's gona cost bucks even at the best, and even a hell of a lot more if you gota do an Engine job or if the transmission is no good. You can not get the AB gear or the needle bearing for it anymore. The no good starter is probably not an issue as you can get parts as long as it is not cooked, but that machine better start an run.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:35 pm 

Here is what I see you are going to have to do:
1) Seat belts -- those are fn shot now and if you value your life you will be buying new ones.
Liar liar pants on fire you say ?? Read this: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15887&hilit=crsah
Edit: here is another one (my brother): viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16961&hilit=another+big+crash
There's more but those were the two big ones that could have been fatal.
2) Engine will be pulled and the vent mod done.
3) Replace intake manifold.
4) Engine pressure/vacuum tested (Search this site using the search box).
5) Clean inside of the gas tank and make sure no rust in there.
6) Replace the old fuel pump. Just do it. Fuel pumps MUST pass 4.5 oz in ten seconds test.
7) RUN AVGAS OR AVGAS/PREMIUM MIX

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:01 pm 

Wow! That's a lot of info. Definitely will put it to use this weekend -- going to look at it on Saturday. I think I'll print off this all and be an Odyssey inspector for a day.

I think even though an Odyssey is expensive, it's definitely better to have something with a roll cage and some proper engineering behind it. I built a go kart over the course of about a year and it's more dangerous than a wooden roller coaster that's on fire, lol!

I'm glad you're still here, that was quite a wreck! Same with your brother. Just makes me want to get an Odyssey even more because I ride on trails like yours.

Thanks for typing all that out, I know you didn't have to and you don't get paid for it!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:05 pm 

The FL350 had a lot of issues and factory recalls.
You will need to fix some of them.
One of the issues is that the Engine is behind the seat and it is air cooled. Think about that for a moment.
They also seized a lot of engines. The Engine runs hot because of the above and this can cause detonation issues of the fuel in my opinion. This is one of the reasons I am constantly yapping about Avgas. The higher octane helps prevent detonation. It is a must in my opinion but others will challenge that. Your on your own if you want to run pump gas. Use the search box above and check out all the threads on melted engines.

Factory recalls and issues:
1) head recall - original had straight fins on it - replaced with angled fins
2) piston recall - they went smaller
3) side air scoops - they made them bigger
4) transmission - they put a mod in so you couldn't go rev fast and slam it in foreword to do wheelies - I think
5) oil in starter - they just told everyone to run a lower oil level in the counter balancer - this is one of the reasons to do the vent mod so you don't destroy the starter
6) Rear suspension - no recall but it is non existant - spring rate wrong - buy new springs

Note also that they only made these FL350 for one year -- what does that tell you ??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:46 pm 

Just looked at it, and it won't run. Guy says the carb needs to be cleaned and that's it. He doesn't know if it's been rebuilt or not. I'm worried about getting it because I have no way of knowing if the transmission is working or not, but it seemed to shift smooth with the Engine off. Probably doesn't mean anything. Brakes wouldn't return and need to be bled. Other than it not running, which is very concerning, it seems to be in good order.

Any thoughts on this? Should I just let it pass and wait for another one to roll around?

Thanks in advance :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:09 pm 

tg_s wrote:
Just looked at it, and it won't run. Guy says the carb needs to be cleaned and that's it. He doesn't know if it's been rebuilt or not. I'm worried about getting it because I have no way of knowing if the transmission is working or not, but it seemed to shift smooth with the Engine off. Probably doesn't mean anything. Brakes wouldn't return and need to be bled. Other than it not running, which is very concerning, it seems to be in good order.

Any thoughts on this? Should I just let it pass and wait for another one to roll around?

Thanks in advance :-)

Guy says "the carb needs to be cleaned" ------ Baahahahahaahhahahahahaahha
Ok that's your first warning sign. Strike one.
Brakes wouldn't return -- "need to be bled" ----- Strike two
but it seemed to shift smooth with the Engine off ---- Foul ball

It's almost a strike out at this point.

I would make an offer of no more than $1000. If he don't take it I would walk. But that's just me. There is nothing to indicate this thing is good. At this point you are looking at an Engine rebuild, starter rebuild, complete master cylinder rebuild, rear caliper rebuild, and possible front slave cylinder rebuilds, at the very least. Possible E-brake cable could be shot as well.

Edit: Did you do a compression check using the pull start rope ??
That would give you an indication if he blew a hole in the piston or what compression is in that cylinder.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:19 pm 

On a positive note here, the fenders appear to be in good shape in those pictures but the foot tub is broken where the bolt goes through (right in front of the seat on left side). Edit: sorry right side.
Wrist restraints faded which tells me it was outside but the rear fenders are not drooping, so it was probably not out in the desert sun.
Fenders are very expensive and I would sell them on Egay to get some money back. You don't need them and you can do what I have done to my machines.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:24 pm 

I think I'm gonna pass on it. Pulled the cord and it had good compression. Guy won't take less than $1800. I don't think I have time or the money to dive deep into this thing right now. College drains your wallet!

Any other thoughts on this?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:27 pm 

tg_s wrote:
I think I'm gonna pass on it. Pulled the cord and it had good compression. Guy won't take less than $1800. I don't think I have time or the money to dive deep into this thing right now. College drains your wallet!

Any other thoughts on this?

Well sorry to say if you don't have the money then it is a pass.
These things cost money and time. Tires alone are over $400 bucks a set.
This hobby ain't cheap, but then again neither is a wife. When you get your paycheque --- think half.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:03 pm 

CO, thank you so much for helping me with this. I have the bug for toys like this, but it looks like I need to be patient.

Again thank you so much for helping me with this -- I probably would've gotten it and then realized what I'd done lol :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:24 pm 

tg_s wrote:
CO, thank you so much for helping me with this. I have the bug for toys like this, but it looks like I need to be patient.

Again thank you so much for helping me with this -- I probably would've gotten it and then realized what I'd done lol :-)

Your welcome.
I now want you to look at the very first statement you made in this thread.
You said: "I have talked to the guy about it and he says the only thing wrong with it is the starter."

Wellllllll -- now it seems all it needs is the carb cleaned and its good to go -- :shock: -- really :shock:
Oh and yeah the brakes stick :shock: -- really :shock:

You just saved yourself a lot of headaches.
If you have to ask "how much ?" then you can't afford it.
Just my opinions.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:32 pm 

On a positive note here, you are smart enough to have figured it out by looking at your wallet.
Most guys are dreamers. They just can't see the reality weather it be a new girl, new car, new boat or new anything. We usually talk ourselves right into it. Something like "oh baby your so hot" -- and BAM your suddenly broke.
I suggest you hang around this site and just browse. Lots of smart people here. Something may happen for you soon so that you can afford it, and if not you gain knowledge. It's free and you can Bullsyt.

Profile E-mail