Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Steering rods
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:38 pm 

A while back I bought a left hand die on Amazon so that I could make my own steering rods for the oddy. The die came from China. Unfortunately for me it would not cut. I could run it over an existing rod to chase the threads so I knew it was a correct left hand die, however it would not cut new threads. So last night I decided to modify the die. I got out the dremel tool and had to re-shape the top thread. It worked well. Sad -- they can't even make a FN die nut, unbelievable. Anyways it worked out and I made a couple of new rods using some 9/16" cold roll. Turned down the ends in my lathe to .390 and made two rods. Gota make two more for my machine. I did make them slightly longer than stock because there really isn't that much engagement in the rod ends on the stock rods and I wanted more.
Edit: yes I did F up the first rod when I did not start the RH die nut square. Threads are suspect. Will have to make another one.

Attachments:
20171018_152159.jpg
20171018_152159.jpg [ 40.54 KiB | Viewed 306 times ]
20171018_152243.jpg
20171018_152243.jpg [ 41.08 KiB | Viewed 306 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Steering rods
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:55 pm 

You gotta love Chinese Junk! Grrrrrrrr!

I bought an atomizer from China the other day that was such poor quality that I just threw it in the trash can! It wasn't even worth trying to fix.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:03 pm 

Randman wrote:
You gotta love Chinese Junk! Grrrrrrrr!

I bought an atomizer from China the other day that was such poor quality that I just threw it in the trash can! It wasn't even worth trying to fix.

Rand

I see everything that is busted as a challenge. I love fixing stuff. But I do feel your pain -- sometimes you just want to get the job done without any hassles. Anything in my trash can is un-repairable that's for sure.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:26 pm 

Same here, I love to tinker but some things aren't worth the effort or just can't be fixed. Believe me, I spent way too much time trying to get the atomizer to work and then when the tiny little screws that hold the coils in it striped out, in the trash can it went. Of course being the pack rat I am I saved what I could and tossed out what couldn't be saved.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:10 pm 

is it a common thread, or does honda use a off thread..just thinking for ball joints might be easier to get a common thread ball joint if your making your own. i cheaped out and just bought left hand nuts and welded them on

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:36 pm 

fully wrote:
is it a common thread, or does honda use a off thread..just thinking for ball joints might be easier to get a common thread ball joint if your making your own. i cheaped out and just bought left hand nuts and welded them on

Honda steering rods are 10mm x 1.25 pitch.
There are several ways to do this but I just decided to make some from scratch.
You could get a left hand threaded metric bolt and weld it on a rod but I think that is dangerous if it snaps off. You could "Hoserize" your stock rods. You could swag a tube and tap it and use a long threaded bolt and cut the head off. The easiest is the way in my opinion is to make them from scratch IF you have the tooling.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:02 am 

looks good

But I would not have gone with a square cut where you have stepped it down
I would of tapered it as that has become a weak spot.

But then again was that the plan ??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:28 pm 

Nice. Looks good.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:48 pm 

wyeeoddy wrote:
looks good

But I would not have gone with a square cut where you have stepped it down
I would of tapered it as that has become a weak spot.

But then again was that the plan ??

I agree with you here but I could put them back in the lathe and taper it back. It's just a pain in the arse setting it up to cut the taper.

Thanks FloridaEdd

Profile E-mail