Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Crank Bearings?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:49 pm 

MPDano wrote:
Cool. Yeah, I just wanted to make sure as the service manual didn't mention any. I'm going to fully re-assemble tomorrow and post a video of it running, hopefully :shock:

Avgas

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:08 pm 

Got her all back together. Carb screw is 2 turns out. She sounds a little rich to me. What do you all think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdhjpgYACcQ&feature=youtu.be

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:01 am 

MPDano wrote:
Got her all back together. Carb screw is 2 turns out. She sounds a little rich to me. What do you all think?

Yes that thing smokes more than mine (NO smoke on mine) but I run a lot less oil mix than yours because mine is liquid cooled. It also seems the pilot circuit is not set correct. It sounds boggy and sputters.
Here is how I set my carbs: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17445&hilit=beginners+jetting
Right now I think the important part for you is the pilot circuit part of that thread, especially the last paragraph of it. The first part is blah blah but read it all and UNDERSTAND IT.
You MUST also have one of those induction tachs or a tach of some kind to see rpm change.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:09 am 

Just want to confirm how much oil mix you are using there -- what's your mix ratio ??
Most here run 35/1 for air cooled and I run 50/1 for my liquid cooled engines.
Depending on your oil you may need less. Modern oil is not the same as that 1970's stuff. Read the bottle. My guess for your machine will be 35/1 to 40/1 depending on the type and manufacturer of oil.
Some people think they seized their Engine because of the lack oil but that's not true. They seized it because the fuel was detonating and over heated the piston. Then ring lock happens or piston melts. No amount of oil will save that Engine. Why can I run 50/1 you may ask. Because liquid cooling keeps the temperatures down and that helps with detonation. Also I run high octane fuel that does not detonate like that pump gas crap. NO AMOUNT OF OIL will save an Engine that is detonating fuel. Somewhere on this site is a picture of the nine pistons I replaced on my brothers Engine and mine. On the top of the piston you will see some writing that says 20/1. I actually went to that thinking that was the issue. It wasn't.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:53 am 

canadian oddy wrote:
Just want to confirm how much oil mix you are using there -- what's your mix ratio ??
Most here run 35/1 for air cooled and I run 50/1 for my liquid cooled engines.
Depending on your oil you may need less. Modern oil is not the same as that 1970's stuff. Read the bottle. My guess for your machine will be 35/1 to 40/1 depending on the type and manufacturer of oil.
Some people think they seized their Engine because of the lack oil but that's not true. They seized it because the fuel was detonating and over heated the piston. Then ring lock happens or piston melts. No amount of oil will save that Engine. Why can I run 50/1 you may ask. Because liquid cooling keeps the temperatures down and that helps with detonation. Also I run high octane fuel that does not detonate like that pump gas crap. NO AMOUNT OF OIL will save an Engine that is detonating fuel. Somewhere on this site is a picture of the nine pistons I replaced on my brothers Engine and mine. On the top of the piston you will see some writing that says 20/1. I actually went to that thinking that was the issue. It wasn't.

Running 32:1 as recommended in my original thread (not this one). Will look at the link you sent me. At least it hooks up nice since you sent me the clutch parts. It used to take a lot of throttle to get it to catch.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:22 am 

Did some research and 145 is stock main and 45 is stock pilot. I need to pull my carb to see what is on mine. I bought a set of 10 mains to play with. According to some research since I am running a DG pipe, I should be running a 148 or next size up from a 145.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:11 am 

you should seal up the leak at the exhaust header. if there is smoke coming out, theres also air being sucked back in, and you could start to lean out.

i wouldn't start changing jet and stuff yet. do you heat cycles with it, and then take it for a quick ride, don't get crazy on the first trip, and make it a short trip. 10 mins. then start doing plug chops and setting the carb.

mine smokes like a banshee when i first start it up, i will smoke my self out of the garage. its a bit rich on the bottom end, but after its run for a bit it cleans up. mine is rich on the bottom and lean on the top end..just haven't spent the time to fix it yet

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:12 pm 

Thanks Fully. Here is a good link on air leaks, etc on 2 strokes.

http://www.klemmvintage.com/airleaks.htm

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:11 am 

Ok, just verified the jets are stock. 45 pilot and 145 main.

I got a new 45 pilot and will replace the main with a 148 and test.

Still waiting on my main jets to arrive though. At least I got a baseline.

I also ordered a new Mikuni pump. I don't like seeing tiny bubbles when the rebuilt one is pumping.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:57 pm 

Glad to see your getting there! :-)

BTW, baseline for the Ody main is a 142 at sea level and......

you are going to get bubbles with any pump you use.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:55 pm 

Randman wrote:
Glad to see your getting there! :-)

BTW, baseline for the Ody main is a 142 at sea level and......

you are going to get bubbles with any pump you use.

Rand

Good to know on the pump. Main reason was I was seeing a little bit of leakage film on the gas tank underneath the stock pump I rebuilt. I didn't feel comfortable with that.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:02 pm 

Ok all. Got the jets put in. 45 Pilot and 148 main. Sealed up all the exhaust leaks using 700 degree silicone and it seems to be holding up. Installed the new Mikuni pump and no more tiny bubbles.

Throttle on upper end, no more light feeling upon throttle up.

What do you guys think. Seems a little boggy on 1/4 throttle but I am ok with that as I know it's a rich jet. How does my top end sound with the bigger 148 jet (from a 145)? Oddy was nice and warm so smoke was a lot less.

https://youtu.be/a6kg_iAO9b4

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:50 pm 

That's a DF44-210 pump I see there. Did you do the flow test and what was the result ??
It does sound slightly boggy to me. You will have to be the judge when you take it for a spin.
An oddy is almost un-driveable when the pilot jet is wrong, in my opinion.

The way to set your pilot jet is to:
1) hook up one of those small induction tachs 2) warm up the machine 3) set your air screw to 1 1/2 turns out 4) set the idle so that it "just runs" without stalling 5) turn your air screw out 1/4 turn at a time while watching the tach. Give it a few seconds to settle the idle before you make the next turn on the screw. When you have turned the screw out to the point where the rpm's don't come up anymore then stop. If your air screw is out more/less than 1 1/2 turns at it's highest idle then you have to make a jet change. If it don't raise the rpm by turning screw out then start over and turn screw in. You will make you jet choice based on the above.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:11 am 

Running it on a pair of jack stand beside being dangerous, does not give the true test of the vehicle under load. The Engine probably still has raw fuel and oil pooling in the bottom end which will give a false indication of running too rich.

It has be be ridden to get the crap blown out of the bottom end, then you can start thinking about jetting.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:58 am 

Thanks for the input guys. Oddy off ground and in gear so I keep the gear oil splashing on the gears. I guess I'll have to give it a real test this weekend as we are heading to the desert. Hard for me to run tests on the ground in my neighborhood, the loud as hell DG pipe and silencer ya know. Plus, I have a buggy in the garage blocking me from getting it to the front yard. I move it just to get my toys out the backyard and into the Toy Hauler. I'll bring the jets with me to the desert if I need to continue jetting.

I'll keep you all informed.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:49 pm 

Please verify flow on that pump before you go.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:50 am 

Hey all. It's a Mikuni Pulse Pump DF44-211 14LPH Flow Rate

From what I am researching, this is the correct pump.

I couldn't find the stock pump flow rate. Thoughts?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:43 am 

MPDano wrote:

Yup.
The pump I run is from Polaris. Part #3085275. It puts out 30 Lph. Double your pump. It is also a Mikuni similar to the DF52-82 design.
You need 4.5 oz in 10 sec flow approx, measured with a stop watch.
I think the easy way to measure would be to remove the return line going to the tank and putting it into a measuring cup. Don't start the machine just crank with start. I don't do it this way as I remove the line to the carb, but I think the easy way (should work the same) is to remove the return.
Just my opinions.

Edit: Where do we get this required flow rate from you might ask ?? It's in the Pilot manual. I don't think there is a reference to it in the FL350 manual. The pilot is 400cc and the oddy is 350cc but it don't matter in my opinion. They will both use about the same fuel load.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:10 pm 

canadian oddy wrote:
MPDano wrote:

Yup.
The pump I run is from Polaris. Part #3085275. It puts out 30 Lph. Double your pump. It is also a Mikuni similar to the DF52-82 design.
I think the easy way to measure would be to remove the return line going to the tank and putting it into a measuring cup. Don't start the machine just crank with start. I don't do it this way as I remove the line to the carb, but I think the easy way (should work the same) is to remove the return.
Just my opinions.

Edit: Where do we get this required flow rate from you might ask ?? It's in the Pilot manual. I don't think there is a reference to it in the FL350 manual. The pilot is 400cc and the oddy is 350cc but it don't matter in my opinion. They will both use about the same fuel load.

I guess I am trying to find out the "stock" pump lph. Would be good to know for future users. Example, 30lph is a lot if the stock is 15lph. Not saying 30 is bad in your set up.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:54 pm 

MPDano wrote:
canadian oddy wrote:
MPDano wrote:

Yup.
Just my opinions.

I guess I am trying to find out the "stock" pump lph. Would be good to know for future users. Example, 30lph is a lot if the stock is 15lph. Not saying 30 is bad in your set up.

Well I do know exactly what an oddy uses when you are giving hell or just putt puttin around.
If your really giviner or under high load like at the dunes, an oddy gets 10 mpg. Randman says at the dunes you can get less. I believe him. When you are just puttin around and oddy gets 16.5 mpg. I know this because to the back end of Sowaqua valley and back out is 41 miles and each oddy used exactly 2.5 gals. Top speed of an oddy is 63 mph (I know). So if you do the math and just use a speed of 60 mph, that would mean 1 mile in 1 minute. That works out to 10 minutes per gallon at high speed. That's 128 oz in ten minutes or 12.8 oz in one minute. That works out to 2.13 oz in 10 sec. Remember that some of these are rounded numbers (an oddy goes faster than 60 mph and how much does it use under high load ??) so you want a safety margin. The 2.13 oz in 10 sec would be the full useage. Not good. I think you could JUST get away with 3 oz in 10 sec flow. I hope my math is correct.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:44 pm 

Well, I am all loaded up and ready to head out to the desert in about 2 hours. Yup, that's my 1986 Honda Fat Cat I restored last year and the first time I am taking her out. The Odyssey is just too big to fit my Bombardier DS650 Quad.

Did a round the block run to load up my toys in the Toy Hauler and the Odyssey is def bogging on top end. I'm going to try and smaller main when I get out there and see the difference.

Attachment:
ocotillo-2017.jpg
ocotillo-2017.jpg [ 84.7 KiB | Viewed 266 times ]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:54 pm 

Have fun.
Watch out for snakes and any deep ditches :-)
Make sure to post the trip.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:36 pm 

canadian oddy wrote:
Have fun.
Watch out for snakes and any deep ditches :-)
Make sure to post the trip.

For sure. We're not going to far from camp.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:11 pm 

Just rebuilt my fl400 and it seemed a little sluggish on the top end too. Ran it hard for a bit and it seems to have worked itself out. Just a suggestion but maybe you run it a bit and see how it does. If after an hour or so still bogging down, then drop down one size and see how it does. Always safer to be a little rich rather than lean.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:23 pm 

At the end of the day I bet you will be within two jet sizes of the recommended stock size, pipe or no pipe and regardless of any other mod. The reason I believe this is because the engineers who design carbs probably do this for a life time and therefore are not stupid chimps. They do this for a living and know how much air flows through that hole and how much fuel it needs to get the correct 14.7 to 1 ratio. The only thing they can't determine is what the air density will be at the time you're riding.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next