Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FL250 died
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:24 am 

Had it really running for about 10 minutes. Lost spark. Plug is good. Can a coil die just like that
This is the Oddy we grew up driving. Last time we rode it would of been around 1995. Dad sold it went to a few people and ended up at a friend of my brothers place. My brother got it back for free

Post subject: Re: FL250 died
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:22 pm 

Id be checking wires, broken or shorted

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:40 pm 

Kuma wrote:
Id be checking wires, broken or shorted

I agree.
If nothing obvious maybe a sheared flywheel key (unlikely but possible) or pickup coil gap issue, which is also unlikely but possible.
I had a wire come off on my coil one time when we were out riding and I hit a cross ditch hard.

Edit: I wonder if you could put a test light (or meter) on the positive of the wire going to the coil and then to ground. See if it lights up. That would eliminate everything but the coil if you get power to there. I have never tried that but I don't see why it would not work.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:49 pm 

We spent two hours tracing cables and all were good and connected or grounded. On off switch is good as we by passed it. Still get power coming out of Engine as the light will light up if you pull it enough times. Went to you tube and watch a video on testing coil. Couldn't find one the same as these but concept is the same. Put ohm meter on 200. On to ground other to wire coming out of coil. Then secondary side one on wire and other in plug boot. Numbers were low compared to what we seen on the vid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:52 pm 

fully wrote:
We spent two hours tracing cables and all were good and connected or grounded. On off switch is good as we by passed it. Still get power coming out of Engine as the light will light up if you pull it enough times. Went to you tube and watch a video on testing coil. Couldn't find one the same as these but concept is the same. Put ohm meter on 200. On to ground other to wire coming out of coil. Then secondary side one on wire and other in plug boot. Numbers were low compared to what we seen on the vid

Take the coil off that fl350 in the back ground there. Try it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:54 pm 

There not the same. Different designs. Not sure if it would work. We thought about it

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:55 am 

I think the manual has how to test the coil. You need a battery if I remember right.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:59 am 

Also check the ground wire from Engine to frame. Fl250 are rubber mounted and Engine most be grounded to the frame. If not no spark.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:59 pm 

the green ground cable was in tack and secure at both ends..that was the first thing i looked for as well..brother order a coil and should have it by late next week..will see if it was a waste of money lol

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:15 pm 

Have you tried removing the plug boot and cutting off a 1/4 or 1/2" of the wire? Just a thought.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:42 pm 

rmesser wrote:
Have you tried removing the plug boot nod cutting off a 1/4 or 1/2" of the wire? Just a thought.

no never tried that..

just odd that it died in the vid, and we just thought it fouled the plug, lol..

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:35 pm 

Try disconnecting the all the plugs from the Engine and check them wire by wire with a volt meter. You can spin the Engine and check for voltage or use the ohm meter to see if they are shorted. If everything is good there, then try the the same tecnique at the CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition), and proceed to coil. if everything is "working" it may be a bad coil or just poor contacts somewhere in the wiring harness

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:44 pm 

he bought a new coil but we haven't had time to hook it up yet. once we get it on i will update date to let you know if that was the problem