Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:14 am 

Spent some time tonight building an E-Brake cable for the death machine rebuild.
The old cable was so bad that it would not move even after being in a bucket of oil for weeks. Basically what I found is that the plastic coating on the cable was frayed on both ends so it could not move through the sheath. After I cut one end off to save the piece I needed it moved fine LOL. I bet everyone's cable that does not move probably has this same problem. At any rate I just decided to build an E-Brake cable out of a bicycle cable. The reason is that I am cheap sometimes and in my opinion you don't need the high price cable for the job that it is actually doing. Obviously you won't be able to YANK like a gorilla on it, but it works fine.
You will notice that this is a simple build. Basically you drill a hole in the original pin located on the E-Brake handle, so that the new cable will fit through. Then cut the adjuster off of the original cable. Cut it just at the crimp line (you will see it). Now drill a hole for cable through a bolt that fits through the cable stop on the caliper. Next drill a hole for the cable through a bolt that fits through the little moveable arm on the caliper. This bolt will also have to have another hole drilled and tapped for a #8 set screw so that it will hold the cable. The spring you see is one that I had in my tool box. Most of you will probably have one laying around also.
When you cut your cable to the length you need do not cut the cable itself until you are done. Only cut the sheath. Also a bike cable has a metal cap on each end but when you cut it one will be gone. I don't feel you need it. Time will tell.
On a side note here I feel that you don't actually have to cut your old cable for that adjuster piece. You could actually make this part with a bolt.
You could also get fancy and use shrink tube in areas to keep any water out but bike cables are cheap.

Attachments:
File comment: Hole drilled in original pin for cable to pass through and the old adjuster from original cable.
20180107_004941.jpg
20180107_004941.jpg [ 45.15 KiB | Viewed 471 times ]
File comment: Bolt on cable stop with a hole drilled through so cable can go through.
20180107_005001.jpg
20180107_005001.jpg [ 50.51 KiB | Viewed 471 times ]
File comment: Bolt through the little moveable arm on the caliper has hole for cable to pass through and it also has a #8 set screw on the back side to pinch the cable in place.
20180107_005017.jpg
20180107_005017.jpg [ 42.12 KiB | Viewed 471 times ]
File comment: This is another pic of that bolt for the moveable arm. PLEASE IGNORE THAT 3/16" you see there. IT IS NOT 3/16" is should have said #30 drill hole. Anyways you get the idea.
20180107_002433.jpg
20180107_002433.jpg [ 54.11 KiB | Viewed 471 times ]
20180107_005039.jpg
20180107_005039.jpg [ 67.51 KiB | Viewed 470 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:42 pm 

Way to be a back yard hacker. Good idea, need to come up with a way to , ok cheap way yo cover cables so debris don't enter. You can do it !

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:56 pm 

adnoh wrote:
Way to be a back yard hacker. Good idea, need to come up with a way to , ok cheap way yo cover cables so debris don't enter. You can do it !

Yeah I already thought of that ------- it's called heat shrink tube :-) .

By the way a guy could re-use the original cable sheath if you could get the cable out without cutting the sheath. Once the cable is out then just go to the bicycle shop and get a cable (no sheath just cable).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:03 pm 

I tried to do this build the easy way so a guy with limited tools could do it.
I would actually like to do it another way. My way involved using some Babbitt that I have here. Take a cable and make new lead nibs on the ends and use original cable sheath.
Anyways the only weak spot on this build would be the possibility of the cable slipping through that bolt with the #8 set screw that actually holds the cable. That's why I said don't yank on the e-brake handle. We have to realize that this system only has to hold a parked oddy. That don't take much. As a back up you could actually make another clamp style bolt and just put it on the end as a secondary safety to prevent slipping.
I think everyone gets the basic idea though.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:10 pm 

Yes it's skill billy but I get the job done and the factory ain't down for long.
The company is losing money so get the F on it NOW (no coffee or lunch breaks).
If the boss comes in when we are having coffee and starts playing big shot because your having a long break you tell him to F off. You tell him that if your having coffee the joint is running and making $$$$$ so F off. That's how it works.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:59 pm 

Those of us in the VW sandrail crowd use cable ends like these..... I have them on my clutch cable. They are rated for 900 lbs of force. These are made by Haul Master.

Rand

Attachments:
Fork Terminal.jpg
Fork Terminal.jpg [ 25.76 KiB | Viewed 424 times ]
Threaded Eye Terminal.jpg
Threaded Eye Terminal.jpg [ 25.72 KiB | Viewed 424 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:26 am 

Randman wrote:
Those of us in the VW sandrail crowd use cable ends like these..... I have them on my clutch cable. They are rated for 900 lbs of force. These are made by Haul Master.

Rand

Sweet.
I never even thought of trying to look for anything like that.
They appear to be a wedge type socket for a cable.
Will have to keep that for my records for any future potentials. Thx Rand.

Edit: Found them: http://www.steelwirerope.com/StainlessS ... lLzNY2Wwfg

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:51 am 

Your welcome.

I am lucky enough pick them up from our local Harbor Freight store!

They work exceptionally well!

Rand

Profile E-mail