Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FL350 front shocks
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:53 pm 

Has anyone replaced their front shocks on an oddy and what did you use ??

I tried to rebuild a front shock once but you can't get the seal.

There are some cheap Chinese shocks around (pic below) that a member here used. I sent him a carb for free and he was suppose to report back on the shocks but he never did.
When I say replacement shocks I am not referring to the very expensive works or fox custom units.

Attachments:
IMG_20151107_112513.jpg
IMG_20151107_112513.jpg [ 53.52 KiB | Viewed 1175 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: FL350 front shocks
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:31 pm 

I’m on a couple Facebook forums for fl250/350/400’s and from what I’ve read and people report back, the Chinese ones don’t last more than a few outings if that long. Blown seals, broken shafts, or the ends snap off at the weld points.
Bob

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:34 pm 

Rppjr wrote:
I’m on a couple Facebook forums for fl250/350/400’s and from what I’ve read and people report back, the Chinese ones don’t last more than a few outings if that long. Blown seals, broken shafts, or the ends snap off at the weld points.
Bob

Thx for the heads up on that.
I almost ordered some of those.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:00 pm 

CO, I have some factory fronts if you need. I promise they are better then the clutch I sent! LOL

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:11 pm 

methodical wrote:
CO, I have some factory fronts if you need. I promise they are better then the clutch I sent! LOL

LOL -- Hey that clutch was good, it had all the pieces I needed. Between two I made one and it is on the death machine rebuild right now.
I may take you up on that offer. I'll get back to you on it thx.
Wana complete this project and then will fine tune. I still have a lot of work to do. Going to build a fuel tank to put into stock position. Make steering column covers etc etc etc.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:01 pm 

Sounds Great CO. Any thing I can help with let me know.....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:59 pm 

Bump.

You mean no one has ever replaced their front shocks :shock: .
Has anyone even looked at a replacement other than works or fox ??
Anyone done any research on this ??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:55 pm 

Mudbogger said he has a set of progressive front shocks.

Has anyone used the fox shocks on the front? I thought that was just a option for rear shock replacement.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:32 pm 

Basically what I was asking was, is there a stock Honda or some other non high price replacement ?? Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki ??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:53 am 

I saw a guy on a Facebook odyssey group use some other front shocks. I’ll rewatch his video and see what brand shocks he uses and reply to this thread with the details.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:25 am 

MGurgone40 wrote:
I saw a guy on a Facebook odyssey group use some other front shocks. I’ll rewatch his video and see what brand shocks he uses and reply to this thread with the details.

thx

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:34 am 

Well I just looked, he doesn’t mention the brand but he mentioned he did get them on eBay. They are black and gold, and they look very similar to the ones you have pictured in your first post. The ones he’s got does have a reservoir on them, sorry couldn’t help any more.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:38 am 

MGurgone40 wrote:
Well I just looked, he doesn’t mention the brand but he mentioned he did get them on eBay. They are black and gold, and they look very similar to the ones you have pictured in your first post. The ones he’s got does have a reservoir on them, sorry couldn’t help any more.

One of the FL350s I have purchased came with the Black/Red shocks with a small built in reservoir on them. They were pretty beat up, looked to be cheap, and went in the trash. I went back to a set of decent OEM shocks. The previous owner also cut off the front fender mounting bracket right behind the upper shock mount to get them to fit w/reservoir FYI

Attachment:
File comment: Crap photo but these are them
Front shock.JPG
Front shock.JPG [ 26.03 KiB | Viewed 1035 times ]

Like these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NITRO-AIR-FRON ... WA&vxp=mtr

I just noticed that the listing says it will fit a FL350 and a Fl400.... Does anyone have a eye-to-eye measurement on a pilot front shock? They aren't interchangeable, are they?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:59 pm 

CurtisR401 wrote:
MGurgone40 wrote:

One of the FL350s I have purchased came with the Black/Red shocks with a small built in reservoir on them. They were pretty beat up, looked to be cheap, and went in the trash. I went back to a set of decent OEM shocks. The previous owner also cut off the front fender mounting bracket right behind the upper shock mount to get them to fit w/reservoir FYI

Attachment:
Front shock.JPG

I just noticed that the listing says it will fit a FL350 and a Fl400.... Does anyone have a eye-to-eye measurement on a pilot front shock? They aren't interchangeable, are they?

I doubt it. The oddy has 4.3" of travel and the Pilot has 6" travel. Anyone ordering from that guy better ask questions.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:45 pm 

The works front shocks were advertised to add an additional 25% travel. That would put the travel at roughly 5.4”. With that being said, I would assume the j-arms are capable of more travel than the oem shock allows. At least 5.4”, maybe more?

Not saying I’m going to buy those eBay shocks by any means. Just food for thought when finding a replacement.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:52 pm 

CurtisR401 wrote:
The works front shocks were advertised to add an additional 25% travel. That would put the travel at roughly 5.4 inches. With that being said, I would assume the j-arms are capable of more travel than the oem shock allows. At least 5.4 inches, maybe more?

Well I do agree with you there on the travel but what does that do to handling ??
Jacking the nose on any vehicle does not seem right to me. The chassis engineers would have figured all that out on the computer. The oddy turns like a pig to begin with, unless you pitch it into the turn.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:49 am 

Does anyone even know where to buy the AT Steeler WORKS front shocks from anymore? I can't find them on EBAY.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:41 pm 

My 89 pilot with stock shocks measures 13-1/4" from center eye to eye. disclaimer...this measurement was taken on the pilot. not sure how much sag the old shocks may have.

CurtisR401 wrote:
MGurgone40 wrote:

Attachment:
Front shock.JPG

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:38 am 

trailnablaze wrote:
Does anyone even know where to buy the AT Steeler WORKS front shocks from anymore? I can't find them on EBAY.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17540&hilit=works+closing

Profile E-mail