Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 9:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PWK or TM ?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:40 pm 

Any carb guys wanna chime in? I'm looking for easiest to jet carb replacements for my 350 and 400.

I believe my best bet is somewhere in the 34-36mm range but just looking for opinions on a Flat Slide vs Airstriker.

If you have an opinion on either, can you also recommend a good starting point for jets for ~4000ft elevation?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: PWK or TM ?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:11 pm 

Hands down, PWK air striker carb.

Start with:
50 pilot
EEG needle
6.5 slide
170 main
~2 turns air screw

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:02 pm 

Thanks!! Best place to get jets? Should I order a few sizes too? Same sizes for both 350 and 400?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:07 pm 

www.jetsrus.com for the carb and jets

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:12 pm 

35mm for both machines? They're basically stock except down the road I plan for a better exhaust on both.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:45 pm 

I'd recommend no bigger than PWK36 for an FL350, and a PWK38 for an FL400. Airstriker is not available in a PWK39, but a PWK39 is also suitable for an FL400.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:02 pm 

Thanks for your help! I'll be excited to hopefully have no more carb or jetting issues.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:12 pm 

still waiting on someone to try the smart carb or the lectron carb. wonder if they work as they claim

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:16 pm 

Never heard of them. Might be worth a shot. Reviews look solid.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:05 pm 

Hey got some info from the Smart Carb folks:

"Hello,

Thank you for your interest in the SmartCarb. Currently we do not have an offering in the 30-34mm range. Our closest offering would be our 36mm SC2.
I have enclosed a fitment chart for your review. Please let me know if I can answer any additional questions.

Kind Regards,
Corey"

Here's what they sent.

Attachment:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG [ 258.25 KiB | Viewed 1428 times ]

Attachment:
Dimensional_Guide_6.jpg
Dimensional_Guide_6.jpg [ 208.9 KiB | Viewed 1428 times ]

So what do you guys think? Any guestimation as to the level of effort to install this if coming from stock? I'm assuming a new intake manifold/carb insulator and that I'd have to eliminate the airbox and all that too. I'd prefer not, I'd rather keep it stock-like, like a sleeper :-)

@Garemie,

What were your plans for installing something like this? You still leaning that way?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:27 pm 

Look up Elsinore intake boot. It was used on old CR250 dirt bikes and fits both FL350 and FL400. The plus on this intake boot is it will accept a 38/39mm PWK carb no issue.
Here:
https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/16221-430-000

Then on the airbox side, you might try one of these. I have one on both my machines but on my FL350 I actually don't have the stock airbag anymore - but it might work with is? I use this hose no problem on my FL400 with airbox. This hose/coupler goes from 2.5" ID, 90 edge bend, then 3.0" ID. Its silicon, and kind of expensive so when you cut it make sure to cut it cleanly cutting no more than about 1/4" at a time once you are getting really close to perfect fitment. I've run one of these in my FL400 for two years - but I use Ethanol Free high octane fuel. I give no guarantee ethanol wouldn't hurt this thing.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Q ... UTF8&psc=1

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:29 pm 

My best friend just bought a Lectron 38 for his CR250 dirt bike. Straight bolted on it ran great and only needed 1/2 turn of the metering rod that came with it. Now its dialed in. This carb SMOKES the stock Mikuni and probably also better than a PWK.

Maybe next round of carb buying I'll move my PWK39 to my FL350 and get a Lectron ~40 for my pilot :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:46 pm 

GrojDad wrote:
Hey got some info from the Smart Carb folks:

So what do you guys think? Any guestimation as to the level of effort to install this if coming from stock? I'm assuming a new intake manifold/carb insulator and that I'd have to eliminate the airbox and all that too. I'd prefer not, I'd rather keep it stock-like, like a sleeper :-)

@Garemie,

What were your plans for installing something like this? You still leaning that way?

I have oversized carbs currently mounted up to the stock intake and air boots, using the factory air box, so I think they should fit right in. I talked to Smart Carb about their pricing and they said they are working on releasing potentially a new cast model (300 less, or that's how much it was before), and also potentially working with some type of plastic carb. I don't have much faith in the plastic model but we shall see.

Until they release a cheaper option though, I don't think I'll be buying any carbs brand new. Maybe a used one to get my by till I can afford an SC2.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:54 pm 

ZeroClient wrote:
Look up Elsinore intake boot. It was used on old CR250 dirt bikes and fits both FL350 and FL400. The plus on this intake boot is it will accept a 38/39mm PWK carb no issue.
Here:
https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/16221-430-000

I don't want to be the fly in the soup here but that intake won't work without mods.
The oddy intake is offset. The Elsinore intake boot has the hole in the middle.
If you use the Elsinore intake, your carb won't line up with the stock air box.
Also the carb will now hit the Engine/transmission frame connector. This will have to be modified.
How do I know this ?? Because that's what happened when my brother bought the after market intake from Aftersucks. It also leaked because the seal was not good -- poor design.
In the diagrams you posted it does not give the dimensions of the width of the carbs shown. That means the Lectron may not even fit -- period -- if it's wider than those other carbs.
Like I said above -- I don't want to be an azhole but thought has to be given before you spend big money.
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:42 pm 

GrojDad wrote:
I'm assuming a new intake manifold/carb insulator and that I'd have to eliminate the airbox and all that too.

curious as to why you need a new intake boot and have to get rid of the airbox..I am running a 39mm PWK on the stock intake and airbox.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:03 pm 

Oh I don't need it, it was an assumption :-) I haven't done any research beyond what was offered by others, as far as the intake manifold/insulator. And I haven't done any measuring of the stock carb to see what the dimensions are, and how they compare to what's available/what others have used.

But this is all good information, and it certainly helps as far as a path forward.

I'd still like to try a smart carb, but with Christmas right around the corner my wallet can't handle it. Maybe early next year.

In the meantime, I've got some research to do :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:04 pm 

ZeroClient wrote:
Hands down, PWK air striker carb.

Start with:
50 pilot
EEG needle
6.5 slide
170 main
~2 turns air screw

I am going with an Air Stryker PWK 38. Will these jets still be applicable for my FL400? This machine has a pretty aggressive port job and a tuned pipe.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:10 pm 

I would think so for Starters. The smaller the carb, the more vacuum across the Venturi. It’s going to pull more fuel in with a 38 vs a 39, so it might run slightly rich. Maybe not though. 1mm ain’t much

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:23 pm 

If there is a chance of being too rich, which jets should I order just in case ?

Profile E-mail