Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dyno (homemade)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:24 pm 

I was going to comment, I'll bet your brother will be wearing a helmet in the next video, or maybe use a stunt double.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:56 pm 

canadian oddy wrote:
Rppjr wrote:

Love this, go big or go home. Just have a fire extinguishers close.

Do I win the "GO BIG OR GO HOME" award ?? :-)
CO

That you do, you don’t need a fire extinguisher you need a scatter shield. I wonder how the plastic shroud would of held up to all that flying metal? Next experiment calculate the speed at which those parts were traveling

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:48 pm 

GrojDad wrote:
Thank God you guys are safe!
Very sobering, as far as the radiator. I hadn't considered a detonating clutch at all, when placing mine. I'm glad I have the pump mounted underneath mine, however some sort of shield might be in order after watching your video.
At about 4:15 I saw your laser tach, did it work at all?

Yes it did work and worked well. That's where I got the speed data from.
CO

Rppjr wrote:
Next experiment calculate the speed at which those parts were traveling

Baahahahahahaha on the floor LMFAO.
We have to much fun on this site.

Rad has been ordered. Maybe a few days for next dyno run.
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:44 pm 

canadian oddy wrote:

liduno wrote:
Well I was repeating the same thing you were while watching this..lol HOLY ((Bad Word))!!!! Glad no one got hurt.
It was your brothers machine that had the clutch vibration in the other thread right? Maybe this one had the same problem that you fixed on his clutch?

Yeah the vibration on my brothers machine ended up being a shot Engine rubber mount.
This machine was a total failure of the clutch. It just disintegrated. It was a stock Salsbury.

I thought you found a broken clutch part and made a new one on the lathe? Maybe I confused you with someone else.

Do you have any idea why it exploded? Maybe just old and thin?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:03 pm 

liduno wrote:
canadian oddy wrote:

liduno wrote:
Well I was repeating the same thing you were while watching this..lol HOLY ((Bad Word))!!!! Glad no one got hurt.
It was your brothers machine that had the clutch vibration in the other thread right? Maybe this one had the same problem that you fixed on his clutch?

Yeah the vibration on my brothers machine ended up being a shot Engine rubber mount.
This machine was a total failure of the clutch. It just disintegrated. It was a stock Salsbury.

I thought you found a broken clutch part and made a new one on the lathe? Maybe I confused you with someone else.

I believe he made some pucks out of a mold he made? I could be wrong, hard to keep up with CO........ he has tried so many different and innovative ideas.....glad he is on our side...... :-)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:21 pm 

Invite me up and I’ll be there for future tests. :-) I’ll bring a bug or two... beers and gas.
Keep up the testing.... watched the video with sound... I’m surprised your brother didn’t have to change his shorts.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:30 pm 

go oddy wrote:
Invite me up and I’ll be there for future tests. :-) I’ll bring a bug or two... beers and gas.
Keep up the testing.... watched the video with sound... I’m surprised your brother didn’t have to change his shorts.

He didn't have to change his shorts because we have been in way more dangerous places than that.
Try jumping out of a plane at 10000 ft or try diving into a turn on the race track at 170 mph and then waiting for the last millisec to slam on the brakes and make a turn ----------- then you suddenly lock a wheel :shock: .

Well that would be a hell of a drive for either of us. It's 6.5 hrs from my house just to Portland International Raceway (PIR) if I only stop once for a pee. You live on the other side of the planet.
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:42 pm 

liduno wrote:

I did make some clutch pucks on the lathe for the 94c units. They work well.

The one that blew up last night was a stock Salsbury. I don't know why it blew up but a buddy of mine came over today, he's a certified auto mechanic and he feels that it blew up because there was no load on the axles. He said he feels it exploded because of excessive centrifugal force. He said if you look at the pieces laying on the bench, the clutch just disintegrated. It didn't just crack and then fall off in two pieces. It literally exploded. I think someone in this thread already mentioned that but I didn't want to believe it. Why wouldn't it explode when your rev the pizz out of your machine in the driveway I said ?? He said most people don't floor the throttle and hold it there for a while.
He suggested I put load on it with the dyno brake before I go to full throttle.
CO

EDIT: No work on the machine today -- I took a day off.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:14 pm 

canadian oddy wrote:
liduno wrote:

I did make some clutch pucks on the lathe for the 94c units. They work well.

The one that blew up last night was a stock Salsbury. I don't know why it blew up but a buddy of mine came over today, he's a certified auto mechanic and he feels that it blew up because there was no load on the axles. He said he feels it exploded because of excessive centrifugal force. He said if you look at the pieces laying on the bench, the clutch just disintegrated. It didn't just crack and then fall off in two pieces. It literally exploded. I think someone in this thread already mentioned that but I didn't want to believe it. Why wouldn't it explode when your rev the pizz out of your machine in the driveway I said ?? He said most people don't floor the throttle and hold it there for a while.
He suggested I put load on it with the dyno brake before I go to full throttle.
CO
EDIT: No work on the machine today -- I took a day off.

That was exactly what I was thinking. No load so it will rev out instantly and just held there. Glad everyone is ok.

I blew one of my belts this summer coming down a hill for about an 1/4 mile wide open and when it blew I thought a shot gun when off. My left ear was ringing for a bit after. It ended up cracking my clutch. Never found any pieces of the belt either.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:21 pm 

fully wrote:

That was exactly what I was thinking. No load so it will rev out instantly and just held there. Glad everyone is ok.

I blew one of my belts this summer coming down a hill for about an 1/4 mile wide open and when it blew I thought a shot gun when off. My left ear was ringing for a bit after. It ended up cracking my clutch. Never found any pieces of the belt either.

Well the way you explain the sound, it almost seems like you were there with us LOL, because that's what it sounded like and felt like. Especially with all those BB's flying around LOL.
I was just looking at those pieces on the bench and those clutches are cast aluminum. That stuff is weak. The more I think about this the more I am slowly agreeing with everyone that has that theory.
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:23 pm 

I won’t forget that sound anytime soon just like you lol. Glad all I had was rubber belt disintegrating and not a clutch. Glad your ok.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:37 pm 

I have just been looking at that infrared rpm video data and using freeze frame. I see one reading that shows 928.3. Now multiply by 10 for gearbox ratio and we get 9283 rpm.
I think that'll do it.
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:40 pm 

Yeah that’s reving out. Some of the stadium lite engines reved out like that.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:52 pm 

fully wrote:

In this case we have to remember that there is no wheels or any load on that Engine at all. It's just free to go with no drag. The more I think about this the more I am agreeing with you guys with the "excessive centrifugal force theory".
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:29 am 

Is it possible that the rate at which the clutch opened cause the damage, then the centrifugal force of the higher RPM finished it off? With no load, wouldn't it go to full open immediately?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:34 am 

liduno wrote:
Is it possible that the rate at which the clutch opened cause the damage, then the centrifugal force of the higher RPM finished it off? With no load, wouldn't it go to full open immediately?

No load --- full open immediately. I would agree.
The rest of it is all theory. I can't prove one way or the other how this happened but the current theories all sound plausible to me.
The rad should be here tomorrow and then I will start repairs.
I think I also need a new Engine tach because that mini tach that was on it was obviously wrong. You should be able to see all the gauges in the video but you may not be able to read them.
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:54 am 

fully wrote:

Probably why they used the powerbloc clutches.

Those things are simple, beefy and the casting isn't as thin.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:33 am 

Oh my gosh, you guys are crazy. Love it.

Glad no one was hurt, I think you taught us all something there. Scary.

I wonder if it would have gone through the belt guard if you had one on.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:31 am 

canadian oddy wrote:
liduno wrote:

No load --- full open immediately. I would agree.
The rest of it is all theory. I can't prove one way or the other how this happened but the current theories all sound plausible to me.
The rad should be here tomorrow and then I will start repairs.
I think I also need a new Engine tach because that mini tach that was on it was obviously wrong. You should be able to see all the gauges in the video but you may not be able to read them.
CO

I don't think the issue here was full open immediately. We all do that when we give them the 'rev up tune up', and get past the engagement point of our springs/arms, etc.

In this case, my money is on it opened, and then kept pressing open harder and harder, overwhelming whatever stop there was. There was no load beyond whatever friction the drive train offered while free wheeling, so all that energy had to go somewhere. That plus in the blink of an eye it went out of balance, at 9k rpm. That I bet explains why it shattered the way it did, the instant out of balance.

But that's my armchair enginerd best guess :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:59 am 

:shock: :shock: WTB FL400 belt guards

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:08 pm 

canadian oddy wrote:
I have just been looking at that infrared rpm video data and using freeze frame. I see one reading that shows 928.3. Now multiply by 10 for gearbox ratio and we get 9283 rpm.
I think that'll do it.
CO

I may be wrong on this but when the primary clutch and the driven clutch are fully engaged there may be some overdrive ratio, not sure if it is 1:1, once you have your Engine tack working along with the dyno tack you will have that information and we'll all know.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:16 pm 

scpilot66 wrote:
Oh my gosh, you guys are crazy. Love it.
Glad no one was hurt, I think you taught us all something there. Scary.
I wonder if it would have gone through the belt guard if you had one on.

You can't even spell crazy bud. You have no idea.
I could tell you stories of us when we were 18 yrs old but you would just call me a liar right to my face. But I'm not liein.
Imagine being 18 yrs old an winning the first race you ever entered at Westwood raceway here in British Columbia (It's closed now). Then go on to win the championship. My head was so fat its amazing I could even walk upright. My kahonahs were so big its amazing I could walk. I set the track record for the class -- of coarse I did because I was a psychopath behind the wheel of a car. So was my brother.
One of my friends from school was late for work one time and he asked if I could get him there in time. I said: "NO PROBLEM". I told him to put on his seat belt. He just said: "What for ? I'm dead anyway".
I have slowed down -- A LOT. Getting old is really a bad thing. Breaking my back in a crash didn't help.

I got all of the guards for the oddies laying in the old shop in the back yard. We don't need that shyte here.

On a side note the pipe took a really good hit too. Now I have to fix that.
Seat took three hits actually. There are three holes in it that I have to duct tape.
CO

Attachments:
20200211_214732.jpg
20200211_214732.jpg [ 43.27 KiB | Viewed 1785 times ]
20200211_215529.jpg
20200211_215529.jpg [ 52.08 KiB | Viewed 1785 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:05 pm 

posted a your vid on facebook. getting crazy hahaha..

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:16 am 

OK almost ready to go.
Next dyno run Friday evening (that's the plan).

I just have to fix the damaged exhaust pipe.
Everything else is done.
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:59 am 

Did it take any extra convincing to get your brother back in the drivers seat? lol

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next