Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dyno (homemade)
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:17 am 

Put part of the original oddy cvt cover on for some protection when we make the next run.
Fixed the seat.
Fixed the pipe. Basically made two plugs for the pipe and pumped in about 20-25 psi air pressure. Then heated it with the torch until the metal started to move. It's not perfect but better than it was. I also noticed the original oddy pipe has perforated metal inside of it. Maybe a noise reduction thing to keep the pipe from pinging ??
CO

Attachments:
20200213_204014.jpg
20200213_204014.jpg [ 40.51 KiB | Viewed 2259 times ]
20200211_214732.jpg
20200211_214732.jpg [ 43.27 KiB | Viewed 2259 times ]
20200213_210729.jpg
20200213_210729.jpg [ 41.52 KiB | Viewed 2259 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:20 am 

Use your mains pressure water to pop it out.
Anout 40yrs ago I changed out my Dad's leaking tap washers on his 2 storey house.When the mains was turned back on the damn S/S 300L solar tank was leaking water down to the gutter and downpipe...wtf!
The tank had split due to high vaccuum caused by insufficient venting.Caved in bad...looked like a half sucked mango.
So being a big believer in reverse engineering I wanted to get the couple of splits welded up then use the mains pressure to pop the tank out to initial cylinder shape.
No one would weld the splits because they said it wouldn't work.All day I spent driving around to rejections.
Finally late in the arvo found a bloke who would weld it with no guarantees.
Anyway after install turned the mains back on and as it filled it made weird noises as the cylinder was returning to shape.Reminds me of the Christine car movie.
In short it worked perfectly and no leaks.So much for the Xperts and school taught Engineers that all told me it wouldn't work and that I was wasting my time.
Water doesn't compress like air does and holds shape better.Try it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:46 am 

Yeah, my neighbor used to hydroform expansion chambers for the micro sprint world on a homemade jig.

Cool stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:42 am 

Christ this dyno thing is kicking my butt.
We tried a dyno run but aborted.
I guess when we blew the clutch it also blew the base gasket on the cylinder. There was oil all over the bottom end under the exhaust pipe. It was clean when I put it all together. I know what that means LOL.
Also the mini tach I had to record Engine rpm, is faulty. Have to buy new one.
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:26 am 

Until you "Christine" that expansion chamber your not going to be getting full power anyway.You also need to do an leak test again after all that Luftwaffer shrapnel!
Get a couple of unshorn sheep for next shrapnel protection...good lookin ones of course.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:17 am 

bugeye59 wrote:
Until you "Christine" that expansion chamber your not going to be getting full power anyway.You also need to do an leak test again after all that Luftwaffer shrapnel!
Get a couple of unshorn sheep for next shrapnel protection...good lookin ones of course.

I don't know what's more freighting, shrapnel or sheep.
I'm German so I'll go with the shrapnel. You Aussie's go for the sheep apparently.
You're probably correct on that pipe but it's close enough for this square head.
Totally forgot about doing a leak down test. I'll do that tomorrow for sure. Bet I got a base gasket leak though but the pressure test will tell me. THX.
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:02 am 

I wonder what the max RPM was after all the rotating mass was suddenly gone from the Engine?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:10 pm 

Peak , instantaneous
Boom
It's needs a kill pill

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:10 pm 

I hate to see all this bad luck, but I'm glad you're sticking with it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:50 am 

bugeye59 wrote:

Well thank you sir because you just saved me a lot of work.
I went out and did a pressure test today. I put in 6 psi and 2 hrs later it was still 6 psi.
Yes the piston was in the down position.
I was ready to go crazy with the air gun and yank the Engine because I thought it was toast. It was not !
The oil I saw on the Engine near the base gasket came from the pipe. I don't have a good seal on this pipe to cylinder but have never had this issue with this Engine. I'm sure now that when the clutch exploded and caved the pipe in, that it damaged the pipe guts. The stock oddy pipes have some kind of baffling perforated metal on the inside. I can see it with a light. The problem is I can't see every part of the pipe. Now I will contact my buddy who is an auto mechanic and see if they got a bore scope. If we bore scope it then I will know for sure. Right now I'm just guessing though.
This Engine is the one with the welded piston and homemade head. While the pipe was off today I looked in the hole and the piston and cylinder look good.
After that clutch explosion we did another run but aborted because the Engine sounded "funny" and then I saw that oil near the base gasket. At the same time I notice that the mini tach I had on that Engine is definitely not reading right. So now I will order one of those. In short, there will be a delay before making another run.
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:41 am 

Yeah my guess on the oil marks were from the exhaust manifold area because no way from the base gasket area when it's all bolted down to about .5mm? I forgot to include it in my reply.You woulda had to have been a better shot than Adolf with Eva to penetrated it all. :-)
I suspected it was from the manifold area especially with the shrapnel banging the expansion pipe and most prob pushing it away from your holding exh springs?
Have you checked the clutch side crank seal? I know you've done the leak test.But just wondering if any scars around there.
Is this the powerbloc clutch you made the nylon pucks for? Find em?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:41 am 

Yeah my guess on the oil marks were from the exhaust manifold area because no way from the base gasket area when it's all bolted down to about .5mm? I forgot to include it in my reply.You woulda had to have been a better shot than Adolf with Eva to penetrated it all. :-)
I suspected it was from the manifold area especially with the shrapnel banging the expansion pipe and most prob pushing it away from your holding exh springs?
Have you checked the clutch side crank seal? I know you've done the leak test.But just wondering if any scars around there.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:19 pm 

bugeye59 wrote:

1) Have you checked the clutch side crank seal? I know you've done the leak test. But just wondering if any scars around there.
When that clutch blew, the stem and back shiv were still there bolted on the crank. NO damage to that area behind the clutch.
2) Is this the powerbloc clutch you made the nylon pucks for?
The nylon pucks I made were for a 94c. The clutch this machine had, that blew up, was the stock salsbury. I still have not found all the pieces and am still finding things that the shrapnel hit. One piece broke the handle on my shop chair and one piece put a dent in an aluminum cooking pot I use to give my buddies dog his water when they come over. That's a real scary video if you watch it on a big screen and focus your eyes on the Engine area.
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:24 am 

After the aborted 4th dyno run we bore scoped the pipe and I didn't really like what I saw. So I cut it open.
My buddy suggested I try another pipe from one of the other machines before I went crazy and cut it open but I just didn't feel like doing the work.
I guess this is why it sounded funny and why I saw oil on the Engine under the pipe.
That perforated metal sticking out into the flow would cause a lot of turbulence.
CO

Also of note is that I made another scatter shield to use on the other machines when I do runs.
It will be removed once the runs are complete.
I will be leaving the stock shield on this unit because I'm running a 102c now and those are open to the elements (like rocks) :-) .
CO

Attachments:
20200219_210847.jpg
20200219_210847.jpg [ 53.97 KiB | Viewed 2074 times ]
20200219_210857.jpg
20200219_210857.jpg [ 45.14 KiB | Viewed 2074 times ]
20200219_210904.jpg
20200219_210904.jpg [ 48.33 KiB | Viewed 2074 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:40 am 

Inside of your exhaust pipes look too light grey/ dry? Looks like you leaned out? Plug looks like? Compression psi?
Any perforation sheet bits missing? If so maybe got some sucked back in?
Wonder why the inner perforated sheet? Reinforcing? Sound deadener?
Seems to me to be a hinderance for the forward and back pressure?
Maybe performance/flow enhancer if removed?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:36 am 

bugeye59 wrote:
Inside of your exhaust pipes look too light grey/ dry? Looks like you leaned out? Plug looks like? Compression psi?
Any perforation sheet bits missing? If so maybe got some sucked back in?
Wonder why the inner perforated sheet? Reinforcing? Sound deadener?
Seems to me to be a hinderance for the forward and back pressure?
Maybe performance/flow enhancer if removed?

1) Grey: All my pipes look like that. It's the AVGAS at 50/1 oil mix.
2) Perforated sheet: No bits missing that I can tell. But there will be in a few hrs from now. My plan is to remove the damaged bit and then weld down the edge for a smoother flow.
3) Why perforated sheet: I am thinking sound deadening to prevent the pipe from pinging. Just a guess.
4) Hinderance for the forward and back pressure: I don't know but this Engine with the homemade head and welded piston was real strong on the bottom end. I hope this pipe thing didn't damage that.
5) Flow enhancer if removed: I couldn't argue that.
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:18 pm 

Compression PSI?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:57 pm 

bugeye59 wrote:
Compression PSI?

I will get back to you on that in a few minutes. Will go out to the shop and run a test now. Haven't done that on this machine for about a year anyways.
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:12 pm 

Just over 125 psi with a known good gauge.
I always write the compression on the heads with a sharpie. That last reading was 135 psi.
I also always write the jet size on top of the carb caps as well.
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:50 pm 

So you lost 10psi...that's what I was afraid of.
When your motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) was on full revs and loaded with clutch, then suddenly having no load when clutch let go is terrible on all the components.Just like electricity and water the forces always travel the path of least resistance.That coupled up with the suddenly distorted pipe affecting the return flow charge most probably affected the charge ratio back up to piston.
Also I think that by the heavy impact dents in the expansion chamber most probably pulled the pipe away from the manifold springs also affectiing the return pulse.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:26 am 

bugeye59 wrote:
So you lost 10psi...that's what I was afraid of.
When your motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) was on full revs and loaded with clutch, then suddenly having no load when clutch let go is terrible on all the components.Just like electricity and water the forces always travel the path of least resistance.That coupled up with the suddenly distorted pipe affecting the return flow charge most probably affected the charge ratio back up to piston.
Also I think that by the heavy impact dents in the expansion chamber most probably pulled the pipe away from the manifold springs also affectiing the return pulse.

All I know is that it was goddamn violent.
It actually sounds like a low brass 12 gauge shotgun shell going off.
The more I look at the pipe the more I'm trying to convince myself to just cut it apart and remove all the guts. I'm really leaning towards that today because I tried (unsuccessfully) to flatten the perforated metal inside but I can't really get at it well.
Still haven't found a mini tach. None of the local bike shops have one. Fags won't even keep one $15 item in stock. A lot of products from china on hold. My buddy just got an email two days ago that said his parts will not be sent because his parts were coming from Wuhan and Amazon is refunding his money. That happened to me to when I tried to order that tach. What a scam the media is pulling on that virus thing. Only about 2% die and they're old people with issues. The common flu kills more people. The world is full of Liberal retards and they're running the show. God voters today are stupid. We need a world war to clean house and start over. Hitler was right when his personal driver Heinz Linge asked: "who should we fight for now?". Hitler replied: "The coming man".

There is gona be a delay before the next run.
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:15 am 

At the moment it looks like Friday March 6th will be the earliest I can run the dyno.
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:01 pm 

I want to tell you both Good Luck. We're all counting on you.

Attachment:
good luck.gif
good luck.gif [ 1.62 MiB | Viewed 1805 times ]

Also, might I recommend some full body armor, in addition to your helmets for your future attempts?

Attachment:
pillow_armor!.png
pillow_armor!.png [ 301.09 KiB | Viewed 1805 times ]

I'd go with duct tape instead of a belt to hold it on personally, but you get the gist.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:16 pm 

Well we ran the dyno.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcfQcbpcrRE
I will comment on this later tonight.
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:14 am 

Are you running any cooling fans on the clutches and radiator?
Remember your not moving/benefiting from the Ramair.
Heat is one of the biggest killers of belts.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next