Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Powerbloc clutch
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:48 pm 

Hey does anyone here run a FL350 with a powerbloc clutch ??
I need some info.

1) What is the total weight of the puck for an oddy ??
2) I need to shim this clutch 3/8" out farther than it is now. So my question is has anyone ever shimmed the stem on a powerbloc and how did you get the stem off ?? I have done a 94c, so does this stem unthread like the 94c ?? If so then is it also a RH thread ??

When I first got an oddy it came with this clutch. I burned up several belts before I realized the alignment was off. It was obvious. I have also check where this clutch sits on the crank in relation to a stock salsbury and it's 3/8" to deep. That's why I want to shim it like I did the 94c.
THX for any replies and info.
CO

Attachments:
File comment: Powerbloc
20200309_203533.jpg
20200309_203533.jpg [ 40 KiB | Viewed 1962 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Powerbloc clutch
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:04 pm 

I think my buddy has a PB. I’ll reach out to him

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:50 pm 

Dead end.
He is running a Comet 102c now.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:11 pm 

go oddy wrote:
Dead end.
He is running a Comet 102c now.

Ok thx for checking.

I was looking at it closer today and I think I'm screwed.
Even if I did get the stem off there is no way to change that offset because I think the taper bit is pressed into the hub. It's not screwed in.
This Powerbloc was made for some other machine but the previous owner just bolted it on even though it had the wrong offset.
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:42 am 

Why not shim the driven over? FARR kits included a driven spacer for that purpose.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:22 am 

Garemie wrote:
Why not shim the driven over? FARR kits included a driven spacer for that purpose.

If I’m reading this correctly...
C. O. would need to move secondary closer to trans not further away. Further would worsen the alignment.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:16 am 

go oddy wrote:
Garemie wrote:

If I’m reading this correctly...
C. O. would need to move secondary closer to trans not further away. Further would worsen the alignment.

Correct.
The driver is too close to the Engine.
It needs to come OUT 3/8". Therefore the driven on the trans would need to move IN 3/8" and there isn't enough room there for that to happen.
My thinking was that I could remove the inner stationary shiv on the powerbloc but that's not possible. The taper piece on clutches are pressed into the stationary shiv with a press. I know this because I took a 94c apart. On a 94c you can remove the stem because it screws in and then you can add shims for a wider or narrower belt. That's probably possible here too but I need to move the entire clutch away from the Engine OR move the trans clutch closer to the trans and that's not gona happen.
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:39 pm 

Oops I see that now.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:35 pm 

Hi all.
I am new to this site and the FL350 ATV's. I recently brought 3 FL350 in various state of work needed.
1) Starts and drives OK. Needed carb work otherwise cosmetically just tired.
2) Got it started but smokes bad
3) pull start and E-starter not working

So I have started getting to know these great creatures. Lots to do before the first run. Anyway #2 has a powerbloc clutch. Which is all I know for now. As it happens I need to pull this of as I suspect the crank seal failure is the cause of the excessive smoke. So when I get it off I may know more.

But for now can anyone help regarding a source for a PB clutch puller tool. I read some old posts on this & found some pictures. But I cant find a present day source.

Any help appreciated. Thanks
Mike

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:16 pm 

yo-mikey wrote:
Hi all.
I am new to this site and the FL350 ATV's. I recently brought 3 FL350 in various state of work needed.
1) Starts and drives OK. Needed carb work otherwise cosmetically just tired.
2) Got it started but smokes bad
3) pull start and E-starter not working

So I have started getting to know these great creatures. Lots to do before the first run. Anyway #2 has a powerbloc clutch. Which is all I know for now. As it happens I need to pull this of as I suspect the crank seal failure is the cause of the excessive smoke. So when I get it off I may know more.

But for now can anyone help regarding a source for a PB clutch puller tool. I read some old posts on this & found some pictures. But I cant find a present day source.

Any help appreciated. Thanks
Mike

I may be able to help you but it will be later tonight.
Don't know what time it is in your part of the world but it's only 5 pm here and I just got home from work. Give me a couple of hours and I will see what I can figure out for you.

As for those 3 machines you just bought. Give it up pal, you have to start with your best machine and yank the Engine (DO NOT SPLIT THE Engine UNTIL YOU HAVE DONE A PRESSURE AND VACUUM TEST ON IT) and fuel tank. That's where you start. Then you have to check the gearbox for any issues that are obvious without taking it apart. Then you check the axels for play in the U-Joints. Then you move to the steering rod ends -- I bet my rent money they're shot. Then you check the J arms bushings. When everything is back together you MUST do a flow test on your fuel pump. You need 4.5oz in 10 sec approx. Then and only then do you go to machine #2. Do it any other way and you are just setting yourself up for frustration. (AVGAS).
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:45 pm 

Hey thanks for the reply.
Yep it all a bit daunting. The one I was working on and got running (with new fuel pump and carb work seemed to smoke heavy). Comp test showed Low compression. So pulled the head. Piston ( 78.5mm) / ring and bore need work. Assume going to the 80mm is the only way forward. The machine shop I talked to said if it smoking thick smoke then it's crank shaft seals. Hence my thinking the clutch next.
What the process for PRESSURE AND VACUUM TESTING? Plus what tools / kit is needed. Or is that a machine shop function. I do have leak down tools, but with the head off am not sure that helps.
I am CA so PST.
Cheers
Mike

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:58 pm 

yo-mikey wrote:
Yep it all a bit daunting. The one I was working on and got running (with new fuel pump and carb work seemed to smoke heavy). Comp test showed Low compression. So pulled the head. Piston ( 78.5mm) / ring and bore need work. Assume going to the 80mm is the only way forward. The machine shop I talked to said if it smoking thick smoke then it's crank shaft seals. Hence my thinking the clutch next.
What the process for PRESSURE AND VACUUM TESTING? Plus what tools / kit is needed. Or is that a machine shop function. I am CA so PST.
Cheers
Mike

Hey Mikey! What part of CA?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:08 pm 

yo-mikey wrote:
What the process for PRESSURE AND VACUUM TESTING? Plus what tools / kit is needed. Or is that a machine shop function. I do have leak down tools, but with the head off am not sure that helps.
I am CA so PST.
Cheers
Mike

Going out to the shop now to get some measurements for you.
Below is a pdf of a test rig.
You're dead if you already pulled the head. But since it's a rebuild anyways then no problem.
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:35 pm 

Sorry forgot to add the pdf in that last post so will attach it here now.
Also the info for the powerbloc puller is in the pics.
CO

Attachments:
20200312_202323.jpg
20200312_202323.jpg [ 41.33 KiB | Viewed 1826 times ]
20200312_202434.jpg
20200312_202434.jpg [ 52.16 KiB | Viewed 1826 times ]
20200312_202458.jpg
20200312_202458.jpg [ 46.86 KiB | Viewed 1826 times ]
20200312_202540.jpg
20200312_202540.jpg [ 56.01 KiB | Viewed 1826 times ]
20200312_202601.jpg
20200312_202601.jpg [ 59.71 KiB | Viewed 1826 times ]
2 stroke pressure testing.pdf [314.03 KiB]
Downloaded 70 times
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:41 pm 

So basically the power bloc puller will be the same as a 94c puller.
The only difference is that when you pull the main bolt on a power bloc then everything falls off except the stem and back shiv (unlike a 94c which stays all together). Then insert the push rod and install bolt. Tighten bolt (don't go crazy), smack it with a hammer -- repeat -- repeat. There will be a very loud "POP" when it comes off. That's normal.
You make the pusher rod out of a bolt. Cut the head off and then grind down the end to .400 ----- you do this so that you don't damage the threads on the crank.
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:23 am 

Cool & Many thanks
The PDF will help test my running rig. While the info on the puller will aid with my smoker / rebuild & clutch step. That thread detail is part of the key.

Much appreciated.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:07 pm 

CO, I have a Power Bloc. In fact, I'm told the last new one in existence....I'll email you the information I have.

Meth :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:34 pm 

methodical wrote:
CO, I have a Power Bloc. In fact, I'm told the last new one in existence....I'll email you the information I have.

Meth :-)

Thank you sir.

God I'm just jumping from one project to another right now. I have to slow down.
1) An X employer called me to fix his blown milling machine ------ waiting for parts.

2) Buddy wants me to build and Engine stand so that they can run engines before they install them in customer cars.

3) Helping another buddy when he needs help installing an Engine in his wife's car.

4) Trying to get a driven clutch off my machine so I can install a spring.

5) Trying to take apart a spare driven I had on the shelf to install a new spring but it's not coming apart. I had this unit apart before so WTF ??

6) Looking after my mom and dads medical trips to doctors.

7) Walking my brothers dog so that I get a break and don't go postal.
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:29 pm 

HAHA!! Sounds like my life right now..
-Make parts for Space X
-Make parts and test equipment for NASA
-Walk my shepherds
-Go get my kids from college in different states F'ING Corona Virus! Semesters are Finished for Spring 2020, My son was carrying a 4.0! F!
-Go to work, way over rated!
-Chat with Co on Pilotodyssey.com.. LMAO!
-Work in the shop on the 8 buggies I'm building. What was I thinking.....
-I honestly think I'm loosing my mind :shock:
Not trying to compete, you just made my mind race which I think I totally needed!!!!!

CO your the best... You always bring me back to earth..

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:40 pm 

On top of it... I have a several terabyte hard drive that everything I've done for the last 10 years is on and the M"FER took a shit. I' writing a program to get the data off. UGH!!!!!!!
Attachment:
20200314_213525.jpg
20200314_213525.jpg [ 76.38 KiB | Viewed 1766 times ]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:54 pm 

methodical wrote:
On top of it... I have a several terabyte hard drive that everything I've done for the last 10 years is on and the M"FER took a shit. I' writing a program to get the data off. UGH!!!!!!!
Attachment:
20200314_213525.jpg

OH CHRIST that's BAD.
I got all my stuff backed up on two separate drives and the oddy stuff on three LOL.
Would sure be pizzd if I lost it all.

Peanut (my brothers oldest daughter) is stuck in Minnesota. She has a boy friend there but is trying to get home. If she does get here then she will have to self isolate due to the Corona virus thing. What a mess it all is. I think its all a scam myself. It's just the flu with a slightly higher death rate for older people with health issues. That's just me though.
When I was a kid Corona was a beer and it made you sick too.
CO

Profile E-mail