Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:28 am 

A while back I was looking at a stock head and cylinder I have laying on the shelf and I did mention it in another thread but don't remember which one. I stated that there was an issue I spotted. Well here it is. If you look close you will see a gap between the head and cylinder. You will also note that the cylinder and the head still have the original Honda rubber snubbers between the fins.

I measured this gap and it came in at .016" - .017" clearance.
This means that those of you running the stock set up are actually trying to crush these uncrushable rubber snubbers. These damn things are hard. So if you're trying to run one shim of the original stock head gasket or any gasket about .020" or less then you're not getting the correct torque on the head.
Just my opinion.
CO

Attachments:
Stock has 016 clearance between head and cylinder.jpg
Stock has 016 clearance between head and cylinder.jpg [ 39.86 KiB | Viewed 1814 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:20 pm 

Have you tried to torque the head down like that? I think it would squish the rubber enough. I guess you could sand down the rubber a little to make up the difference if needed

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:53 pm 

Measure the torque required of all head bolts to get the clearance to 0.000". I bet its not as much as you think. Then head gaskets would take up that gap anyways.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:45 pm 

CurtisR401 wrote:
Have you tried to torque the head down like that? I think it would squish the rubber enough. I guess you could sand down the rubber a little to make up the difference if needed

ZeroClient wrote:
Measure the torque required of all head bolts to get the clearance to 0.000". I bet its not as much as you think. Then head gaskets would take up that gap anyways.

I have not played around with this head n cylinder. It's just a spare sitting on the shelf.
I was just yapping here about what I see. The point I was trying to make is that your torque wrench would be off because you have to squish these hard rubber bits. If you're using one shim from the original head gasket (about .010) your torque wrench is reading the squish on the rubber.
In my opinion anyone doing this needs to remove the top rubber bit. They break off easy. Just grab it and twist it like a bottle cap.

Zero: If I get a chance I will so that some day and report back.
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:24 pm 

They've probably hardened over the 40 years, I suspect they weren't originally that hard.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:23 pm 

liduno wrote:
I suspect they weren't originally that hard.

That’s what she said....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:44 am 

Can anyone answer the trivia question as to what those little rubber buggers are for?

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:20 am 

Randman wrote:
Can anyone answer the trivia question as to what those little rubber buggers are for?

Rand

Hello Randman, noise, they keep the fins from vibrating.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:00 pm 

Randman wrote:

Rand
My guess would be to keep the fins from breaking from vibration?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:24 pm 

Correct and correct!

If you pull them out and run the Oddy, you get a very strange resonance noise at certain rpm's.

I would guess from the bizarre noise they make from the vibration I would venture to guess they will eventually break off.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:34 pm 

Randman wrote:
Correct and correct!

If you pull them out and run the Oddy, you get a very strange resonance noise at certain rpm's.

I would guess from the bizarre noise they make from the vibration I would venture to guess they will eventually break off.

Rand

They might as well vibrate and snap off because they don't do any good unless you're running AVGAS.
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:55 pm 

canadian oddy wrote:
They might as well vibrate and snap off because they don't do any good unless you're running AVGAS.
CO

Attachment:
badumtssshhh.jpg
badumtssshhh.jpg [ 23.21 KiB | Viewed 1706 times ]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:02 pm 

LOL!

AVGAS!

Profile E-mail