Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:31 pm 

I am looking at having a few of Farr's fuel tanks reproduced. I happen to have a new one here I have not used yet, and have been asked a few times if it is for sale. Anyone interested? Just gauging interest to get a quantity to get a price on getting them fabricated from a friend. The more he makes when he sets up a jig, the lower cost they become.

Thanks!

Attachments:
IMG_20200915_112516573.jpg
IMG_20200915_112516573.jpg [ 87.32 KiB | Viewed 1748 times ]
IMG_20200915_112525177.jpg
IMG_20200915_112525177.jpg [ 81.77 KiB | Viewed 1748 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:05 pm 

this is just my opinion, but you should get Emanuel's permission to copy his tank, if you made something similar that would be a little different.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:44 pm 

Kuma wrote:
this is just my opinion, but you should get Emanuel's permission to copy his tank, if you made something similar that would be a little different.

Kinda what I was thinking but didn't want to be the first one to say it.
Manny has supported this community for a long time with first class products.
Just my opinion (which ain't worth much) but an email or txt to him would show respect.
He is almost certainly gona say go for it because I think he has moved on. We're all getting old.
Don't know if these numbers are still valid:
Emmanuel Home 1-450-538-3072 Cell 1-579-488-9196
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:42 pm 

I totally agree with you guys. I do not want to step on anyones toes. A little background on this...

I listed my FL350 with the odd rollcage for sale a month ago online, as its just been sitting in storage not completed. I had some interest, not a ton, and forgot it was listed really. I listed it with the Farr Kit I have not installed yet. A ton of people asked if I would sell the fuel tank separately, which I was not going to. About a month later, someone wants to buy it the whole thing for almost what I listed it for. I was going back and forth if I actually want to sell it, and now I am set on keeping it and finishing my project. I need to see this through, and make sure it gets done. I need to finish what I started. I want to finish the project the way I intended...

I regret not buying his long travel kit. That was the next thing I was planning to buy, along with the A arm conversion kit for the front. Life happened, and things got in the way of spending time on this. I do not have the skills to fabricate something like that myself, but I do have the ability to install a kit. I emailed him to see if there is any way I could get a kit made, but did not hear back. I would even pay a premium for a kit, and could source any off the shelf parts if needed(TRX A Arms, RZR Shocks, ETC). I wish he was still making parts, as I would love to order stuff to finish my project now.

I was amazed at the amount of people wanting a fuel tank(on one of the FB groups). My only intention is/was to help the community and the people that love these FL350's, as I feel the spun tanks outside the cage are a huge safety hazard. I had no plans to profit on this, just help others with what they may be looking for, just like I am. There are 15 people that have expressed interest in the tanks so far. I think there would be a demand for his stuff again, as I am seeing it. So many people are spending time and home and finding time to work on projects like this again.

I do not know how comfortable I am reaching out to him, as if he has moved on and has no interest in it, I do not want to irritate someone I hardly know. I do not want to tread on anyone's toes, or profit from this, as that was not my intention with this.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:01 am 

Well that makes sense to me.
But I would still fire him a txt anyways even if you don't know him.
If he answers then good. If not then good too -- go for it (my opinion).

The reason I say this is because of things that have happened here in the past.
EG: A former member got real upset that others were "stealing" his idea. There was great demand for the product so everyone said "I will send you money -- when can I have two ?". Then lots of "I'm in the process" then crickets. NOTHING. Not a peep -- FOR YEARS !
It was a great idea and probably would have been a great product but production was non existent. At the end of the day they are still not being built.
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:58 am 

Nothing wrong with making a profit and helping the community at the same time.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:53 pm 

I would say make the effort, maybe even locate one of his threads and send him a PM and mention that in the thread he should get a notification, he has shared many of his designs and I would think that in all likelihood he will share this one as well, possibly in the form of drawings for each component.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:43 pm 

I would be down for a tank depending on what the final cost is.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:44 pm 

Colorado 2JZ wrote:
I would be down for a tank depending on what the final cost is.

He hasn't been on in a month and no current update on this tank.
So I would send him a PM (private message). When he logs on he will see it.
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:59 pm 

There's really nothing intellectually novel about the tank Farr makes. It simply fits the existing 1985 frame. No reason why you can't cut pieces to fit, weld them together, and plumb them. If you have a frame and an Engine, you can build a tank to fit the void. Period.

Now if you bought one from him and then copied / reverse-eng'd it to the exact detail, well that might be a bit weird, but still not illegal. Immoral or unethical...it can be debated both ways until the cows speak English over tea. If anything, make it better quality with some improvements and no one will gripe.

And in the fine print, no attorney fight or fee could be justified for anyone even trying to fight it. Talking about a few hundred dollars of profit and attorney fees are typically $500-$1000/hr. Even pro bono...the court costs might even eclipse the value, especially when he's not even really in business anymore.

That's my opinion.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:33 pm 

REPRODUCE THEM BY ALL MEANS, I HAVE NO ISSUE WITH ANYBODY REPRODUCING ANY OF THE PARTS I MADE

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:18 pm 

Manny, that's great, wish you were still in the game.
That said,
do you have drawings for the Odyssey long travel kits, front and rear?

Profile E-mail