Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: no spark at spark plug?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:01 pm 

hi been having issues with my odyssey fl250 I believe I have a 79 fl250 I got it in a trade it has a couple modifications the roll bar has been beefed up with thicker tubing. and it has nerf bars made out of the same tubbing, it was non running when I got it and the wiring is a bit janky but I fixed some of it and freed the throttle and brake, but my issue is I get spark with a screw driver in the boot its a nice and blue spark and it shocks me half way across my body but when I put the spark plug in I get no spark and frankly it makes no sense to me so any help would be greatly appreciated please

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:39 pm 

It could be that your high tension lead has a broken wire and it only works when you have a twist in it, like when you want to put the screwdriver in it. It's happened to me twice. These machines are real old now.
Try several plugs.
You could also remove (unscrew) the high tension lead cap and cut off about 1/4" and screw the cap back on. Then try it.
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:49 pm 

canadian oddy wrote:
It could be that your high tension lead has a broken wire and it only works when you have a twist in it, like when you want to put the screwdriver in it. It's happened to me twice. These machines are real old now.
Try several plugs.
You could also remove (unscrew) the high tension lead cap and cut off about 1/4" and screw the cap back on. Then try it.
CO

Well ive tried a couple known working sparkplugs and a few brand new ones there's a weird thick ground wire going from the coil to the recoil so maybe that could be it I don't know if the recoil is a good ground or not? but I have a point and condenser system with a non removable spark plug wire so I don't really know what to do about anything. should I just rewire the whole odyssey?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:59 pm 

HugEn3utron wrote:
should I just rewire the whole odyssey?

Well we really don't know what you are looking at so you have to be the judge on that.
At the end of the day you get zapped so that means you got something there to make spark.
Yes the high tension lead is not removable but the cap end that goes on the spark plug should be.
If you need a free manual you can get one here:
https://oddatv.com/free-fl250-fl350-factory-manuals/
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:47 am 

Does your lead cap engage tight and positive when pushing onto plug? Show pic.
Tight and positive good. :-)
Loose and floppy...not good! :shock:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:23 pm 

bugeye59 wrote:
Does your lead cap engage tight and positive when pushing onto plug?

ive tried multiple lead caps and it took a couple try's to find one that has really good spark and with no spark plug plugged into it but it has good connection so I don't see what the issue could even be it makes no sense that as soon as a spark plug is plugged in it just starts to have no spark and it has good tight connection

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:51 am 

HugEn3utron wrote:
bugeye59 wrote:
Does your lead cap engage tight and positive when pushing onto plug?

ive tried multiple lead caps and it took a couple try's to find one that has really good spark and with no spark plug plugged into it but it has good connection so I don't see what the issue could even be it makes no sense that as soon as a spark plug is plugged in it just starts to have no spark and it has good tight connection

Humor me and run a ground cable directly to the fins on the head.
It could be that the Engine is not grounded.
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:57 am 

Yeah that was my next question.
Are you testing plug spark while just resting plug on head?
Or with a solid connection?
Use a jump start cable from plug to head...then to chassis or other hood ground to eliminate bad grounding.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:28 am 

bugeye59 wrote:
Yeah that was my next question.
Are you testing plug spark while just resting plug on head?
Or with a solid connection?
Use a jump start cable from plug to head...then to chassis or other hood ground to eliminate bad grounding.

ive tested spark with a screwdriver on the head bolts and on the harness bolts and both gave me a good spark with the screwdriver but as soon as I try to use a spark plug and do the same thing there's just no spark at all

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:07 pm 

In my opinion you have a weak coil.
There is just to much resistance in the system for it.
Many sparkplugs have a resistor to prevent ignition "noise" which damages CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) units.
Yes you get a shock but there is no resistance when you use a screwdriver.
Try another coil.
That's all I can think of.
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:16 pm 

canadian oddy wrote:
Try another coil.
CO

well I was gonna buy another coil but on eBay there hard to find with a condenser and most are pretty pricey is there any cheaper after market ones I found one but I don't know if its right or will work but ill attach a image of it for you to look at

Attachments:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG [ 129.59 KiB | Viewed 8183 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:40 pm 

According to service honda that coil assembly is still available at Honda.
https://www.servicehonda.com/oemparts/p ... 00-950-405
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:48 pm 

Unscrew the spark plug boot from the spark plug wire and cut off about 1/4 - 3/8" of the wire screw the spark plug boot back on, try again.

Profile E-mail