Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Crankcase compression
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:55 pm 

Does anyone here know what the crankcase compression ratio is for a FL350 oddy ?
(I just want the answer please).
Since the site is VERY dead now I hope someone sees this.
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:18 pm 

I believe it is 6.6:1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:31 pm 

Lonerider wrote:
I believe it is 6.6:1

No I'm not looking for combustion chamber pressure.
I'm looking for crankcase compression ratio. It should be anywhere from 1.1 to 1.5 ratio.
I didn't want to go through the whole messy procedure of filling the crankcase with oil and then all the math that follows.
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:41 am 

You do know know that you’re the only one who will be able to answer your own question right? Lol

Just get to measuring, Might as well make a video of the procedure too.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:44 pm 

liduno wrote:
You do know know that you’re the only one who will be able to answer your own question right? Lol

Baahahahhahaha
No I'm not going to go through that procedure because I have never done it and besides I don't have an Engine apart right now to even do it. All 5 engines are running or spares sitting on the shelf.
I just thought someone might come on here who has the quick and dirty answer.
CO

I am in the process of copying a pipe and have rolled the first cone.
It looks like s#!+
Just a work in progress.
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:52 pm 

canadian oddy wrote:
liduno wrote:

Baahahahhahaha
No I'm not going to go through that procedure because I have never done it and besides I don't have an Engine apart right now to even do it. All 5 engines are running or spares sitting on the shelf.
CO

It looks like s#!+
Just a work in progress.
CO

I have forgot the details on crankcase volumes for 2 strokes I remember doing a lot of reading on stuffing cases and came to the conclusion more gains could be made by tuning the entire Pilot/Odyssey or anything 2 stoke for that matter, steering, suspension, clutching, air flow into and out of the Engine, jetting, tire pressure, tire type, shock oil viscosity, verifying the wet line in the pipe, plug reading etc.

The gains were just not worth the effort for my applications, dyno gains do not always translate into faster, more powerful, more reliable in real world use. The people I seen tweaking engines that far trying to squeeze every last ounce of power out of them usually require a complete tear down and rebuild ever few hours of run time. Crank bearings, rod bearing new piston and rings, every 3rd rebuild a new rod. When Renni Awana came to the SODA races he changed his Engine every race day then rebuilt between race weekends, I think he had 4 spares when he and Bob Briggs came to race two of the SODA series races. Renni's engines were tweaked to the max, like a hand grenade with the pin half out. I think he was running the FL350 based engines at 465cc he definitely had his act together. A friend of mine drove his backup car one race, it had the dial-a-jet carb and my buddy had to fatten it up 2-3 clicks on the straights then lean it back down in the corners. It was a hand full of power.

Please document the pipe building here I am considering building a better pipe for my 440 ROTAX Pilot in the future and thinking about a 583 ROTAX swap into that ATVR LT Pilot I bought years ago then taking them to the desert for testing.

What are using to layout the pipe segments. I am a sheet metal worker just never learned the layout part of it but have plenty of co-workers that are experts in layout. I stayed away from learning the cone layout because I was mostly in the welding, installing and HVAC service end of the trade. Also at the time, every shop had its own layout guru, so even if I learned how would have never used the skill in practice. Reality was the layout guys would create patterns hand off to me I would use the patterns, scratch out the pattern on the metal, cut it out, roll it up, weld it together, go to the field and install the finished product.

EDIT
What pipe design calculator are you using for your pope design.

Thanks.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:48 am 

hoser wrote:
The gains were just not worth the effort for my applications, dyno gains do not always translate into faster, more powerful, more reliable in real world use.

What are using to layout the pipe segments.

EDIT
What pipe design calculator are you using for your pope design.

Thanks.

Hi Hoser.
Good to see you back.
1) Dyno gains -- I agree with that comment
2) I'm using a piece of string and a tape measure -- LOL
I am just going to copy my brothers pipe that he has on his built Engine. I'm trying to get a close as I can. Perfection is NOT what I'm after here. I am just experimenting. I want to put this made pipe on my stocker Engine to see what happens and I think I am going to make it a center bleed.
3) I was thinking about buying a pipe calculator software and that's why I was asking about crankcase compression. But at this point I'll just pass for now. I'm just clowning around because it's winter now and I want something to do in my shop beside building guns and stupid stuff.

I did roll my first cone the other day and it didn't turn out that well because I just have a very small slip roller. If I do make something reasonable looking I'll post it.
I'm a millwright not a sheet metal guy but the trades do overlap some. You probably have way more skills at this than I do. I worked heavy industry my entire life. The rule was: One try Two try Torch !
CO

Attachments:
Photo0749.jpg
Photo0749.jpg [ 41.33 KiB | Viewed 1682 times ]
Photo0762.jpg
Photo0762.jpg [ 52.89 KiB | Viewed 1682 times ]
Photo0765.jpg
Photo0765.jpg [ 55.94 KiB | Viewed 1682 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:39 pm 

canadian oddy wrote:
liduno wrote:

Baahahahhahaha
CO

It looks like s#!+
Just a work in progress.
CO
”Because I’ve never done it” is a CO reason to do it, not an excuse not to. Lol

Waiting for YouTube vid.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:30 am 

liduno wrote:
”Because I’ve never done it” is a CO reason to do it, not an excuse not to. Lol

Waiting for YouTube vid.

I might have to start my camera then.
I'll work on that video I guess.
It might take some time because I've been busy with my 91 yr old mom and helping the neighbors with busted vehicles, garage doors, furnace and other crap.
If I die this town will fall apart.
CO

EDIT: Failure is an option -- you can never be afraid to fail.
Even if you do fail so what ?
IF you succeed you're a hero at work and IF you fail so what ? Maybe you learned something by trying.
I've done some crazy sht at work before and have saved the company a fortune.
One supervisor actually said "That's crazy" and at another company the production shift boss said "I gota see this" and then he said "that's amazing".
The guy that made that last statement watched me pull a gearbox apart and when we looked inside there were NO teeth left on the wheel gear. He asked "Now what ?"
I said "I'm going to make a new gear".
It worked and I was a hero. My boss (the superintendent) had the guys in the shop check the other two gearboxes on the other two blow molders. They were ready to grenade too. It took two months (I think I remember right) to get these custom gearboxes and the mickey mouse job actually lasted that long.
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:00 pm 

I watched a video on a closed loop blow mold factory, pretty impressive.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:39 pm 

liduno wrote:
I watched a video on a closed loop blow mold factory, pretty impressive.

I have worked on some incredible machines and worked in some incredible factories in my life time at work.
I started in 1976 in a sawmill millwright shop as a helper.
In the early 80's our factory was actually cutting 1 million board feet per day.
I've worked for Nestle here in my home town. It has some impressive machines like those blow molders to blow water bottles.
Unfortunately when they hired a new clown manager it was all over within weeks. I quit first, then our boss (who was a very smart guy by the way), then my shift partner and on and on until they only had two mechanics left. They were forced to sell the company or go bankrupt a few years later. Nestle (one of the worlds largest companies) didn't go under but our division did.
I also worked at the worlds largest OSB (at the time) located in High Level Alberta.
Man that place was HUGE with some incredible machines. I worked on all of them because I was on shift and we had 3 wheel bicycles to ride to the break down with our tools. The building was 1500' X 1500' square and we would pull a train right inside to load it. It gets to minus 40'F in the winter.
Same problem as Nestle. Idiots hired new manager and they started getting rammy with us. We had a gianormous maintenance crew of millwrights, welders, electricians and power engineers. I was almost one of the first to quit after they demoted our boss. He was well liked by the millwright crew. In 4 months the worlds largest OSB went under because the entire maintenance crews quit. LOL.
I guess that's why these genius CEO's get the big bonus on top of their inflated wages.
Idiots.
CO

Profile E-mail