Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FL350-No Spark
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:26 pm 

1985 Honday Odyssey has no spark. It will turn over. The following has been replaced:
Stator
CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition)
Rectifier
Grounds have been cleaned
Replaced old wiring harness with another one
Spark plug
Coil
Each wire has been inspected on both harnesses
Each connector has been cleaned
Engine switch has continuoty in off position. No continuity in run.
Key switch has no continuity no matter what (open or with a jumper wire).
Getting 3-4volts to coil
Getting volts to the plug
It's in neutral (not drive or reverse)
What are your thoughts or ideas?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: FL350-No Spark
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:56 pm 

Welcome new guy.
This site is very very dead now but there is an incredible amount of info here.
Most of us old timers have left but make an occasional appearance.

Here is a thread I did in 2019 that has a LOT of info in it.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18393
You can click on anything highlighted in blue and it will take you to a thread.
Also there are a lot of pdf downloads with important info. One of them is a color wiring schematic.
It sounds to me like a wiring issue. Somebody screwing around with the wiring and now it's a complete mess. That's what it sounds like to me.
The Engine is in rubber mounts. Make sure the wire from the Engine case is going to ground. There must be one attached. It's located right next to the counter balancer dip stick.
The key switch is why I believe what I believe based on what you are telling us here.
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:00 pm 

I have to check on my 91yr old mom so I will check in here later tonight.
You have to be very very patient now for replies due to the fact this site has lost most of it's members due to age.
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:15 pm 

canadian oddy wrote:
Welcome new guy.
This site is very very dead now but there is an incredible amount of info here.
Most of us old timers have left but make an occasional appearance.

Here is a thread I did in 2019 that has a LOT of info in it.
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/viewtopi ... =2&t=18393
You can click on anything highlighted in blue and it will take you to a thread.
Also there are a lot of pdf downloads with important info. One of them is a color wiring schematic.
It sounds to me like a wiring issue. Somebody screwing around with the wiring and now it's a complete mess. That's what it sounds like to me.
The Engine is in rubber mounts. Make sure the wire from the Engine case is going to ground. There must be one attached. It's located right next to the counter balancer dip stick.
The key switch is why I believe what I believe based on what you are telling us here.
CO

Hello,
It's new lady! :)
Thank you for the additional info. The wire from the Engine case is grounded out. The ground has also been cleaned and put back on. I will dig through the other items that you provided. I do have the schematics already.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:30 am 

Well then welcome new lady :-)
I'm a certified millwright and not an electrician. Electrical is my weakest trade.
I have tried to read your intro slowly.

You said: "Engine switch has continuoty in off position. No continuity in run."
That makes sense because in the off position it grounds the CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) box and kills the ignition so you get continuity.
In the run position, no continuity so it don't kill the ignition. So this seems to be working.

You said: "Key switch has no continuity no matter what (open or with a jumper wire)".
I don't understand this part because you said: "Odyssey has no spark. It will turn over" so the starter works.
Starter can't work if key switch ain't sending power to the start switch.
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:41 am 

Just for fun have you tried to see if you get a strong spark at the spark plug by using the pull start ??
That would indicate that your battery crap ??
Just wondering.

On a side note: I have actually had to replace the entire tension lead on the ignition coil. The wire was damaged and corroded inside the rubber coating. These things are ancient. I know you replaced it but it's just another thing to look at. Not likely that two are toast. You did say that you get a small amount of voltage at the coil so I wonder if the battery is junk which is why I asked you try the pull start.
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:46 am 

Did you shear the key on the flywheel ??
Did you check it ??
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:02 pm 

Verify you have the key on and the on off switch on :-)

Verify the spark plug your using is good on another machine, even a lawnmower can be used. Have found brand new plugs bad from the factory...

On a FL350 first check for spark by removing the spark plug and pulling the recoil starter, using my fading memory the FL350 had problems if you have a weak or bad electric starter you will not get spark, the extra current draw from the starter affected the spark.

The next thing I do on a NO SPARK situation for Pilots, odysseys, motorcycles, snowmobiles, is to unscrew the spark plug boot from the spark plug wire then strip back about 3/16" to 1/4" of the spark plug wire and check for spark using the recoil starter, just hold the stripped end about 1/8" away from the head, if you have spark then cut the wire flush with the end of the spark plug wire, screw the spark plug boot back in and check for spark again with the spark plug attached. The problem usually is a bad connection between the wire and the part of the spark plug boot that screws in. (corrosion)

NOTE: Have a second person handy to pull the recoil starter so you DO NOT GET SHOCKED :shock:

Let us know how you made out.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:56 pm 

Any luck?

Profile E-mail