Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:12 am 

The prefilter difference

Another Prefilter upgrade, I want to eliminate the Prefilter box and switch to K&N filters
so I can eliminate the leakage I have been getting around the foam panel filter without
modifying the filter box and making it over complicated also using the K&N as a Prefilter
I can wash the filters wile on the road .

Using some 2" muffler tubing and a strap of metal I fashioned a filter mounting bracket.

Note on K&N filters learn the FACTS about these filters before using them on ANYTHING don't believe the MFG's claims they can claim anything to sell a product then YOUR stuck paying the bill when you find out different, don't take my word for it take the test yourself, I use them for prefilters ONLY and only because of the ease of cleaning, I can clean them on the fly in my RV or in the bathroom sink at a gas station, to properly clean my foam filters it requires solvents and more time than I want to spend on a ride trip, here is my findings on the K&N Filter Central ((The Dirty Truth)) page viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5491

Attachments:
MVC-869F.jpg
MVC-869F.jpg [ 99.36 KiB | Viewed 2599 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:13 am 

Modifying the lid to the air box is pretty simple using a hole saw and another piece of 2"muffler tubing, this picture gives you a good idea where to locate the second hole.

Update I have noticed many of the newer air box modification are cutting a single large hole in the air box then installing a single large air filter, while designs that vary from mine are fine and dandy I would like to point out the reasons why my design is like it is and has a proven track record under ALL operating conditions, read on

I use two filters and two holes for a reason, one is for fit and finish, two smaller tubes relocating the air intake to cleaner cooler air is easier than using one large tube, it also allows me to IMO properly position my prefilters where they can be the most effective, first lets discuss the dirt, NO filter is 100% that means it will pass dirt, as the filter loads up with dirt the dirt is beat, blown, sucked and bounced to the inside if the filter, what you don't want inside your filter gets their by mounting my prefilters horizontally like I do the dirt that has made it pass the prefilter falls to the bottom of the filter and little to none of this dirt works its way down the tube to the main filter in the air box.

Next look at my design what happens when your riding in the rain or caught in a downpour well with my design you keep riding water will not work its way into the air box it will run through the filter then drain out.

I jet my Pilot, set it and forget it, I ride from 0 feet to 6000' elevation , from 50 degrees to 85 degrees with the same jetting on colder drier days I will put a piece of duct tape on the inside of the air box blocking off one of the intake openings this changes my jetting from idle to WOT (Wide Open Throttle) enough where I don't have to go inside my carb and change jets and make needle adjustments.

Consider these when making your design choice.

Attachments:
MVC-515F.JPG
MVC-515F.JPG [ 87.59 KiB | Viewed 2598 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:14 am 

A cable operated butterfly could be installed in the second opening or in a 3rd opening so one could
adjust his jetting setting at the drivers seat, I usually put a piece of duct tape on my frame so I have
something to temporarily cover one or part of one of my openings on cold days this allows me to
change my jetting without having to change jets in the carb.

They make paint for plastic now you can get in cans, I haven't tried it but if you wanted to spiff
your air box lid up you could try it.

Attachments:
MVC-514F.JPG
MVC-514F.JPG [ 95.46 KiB | Viewed 2597 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:14 am 

Once you drill the hole with a hole saw you slowly easily bend over about 1/4" of the
end of the muffler tubing then slide it up through the bottom of the new hole pop rivet
and then seal with silicone caulk.

Attachments:
MVC-513F.JPG
MVC-513F.JPG [ 85.32 KiB | Viewed 2596 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:15 am 

New filter mounting bracket for 2004

Attachments:
mvc-853f.jpg
mvc-853f.jpg [ 84.23 KiB | Viewed 2595 times ]
mvc-859f.jpg
mvc-859f.jpg [ 76.65 KiB | Viewed 2595 times ]
mvc-860f.jpg
mvc-860f.jpg [ 83.62 KiB | Viewed 2595 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:24 am 

I decided to add some nylon stocking's over my K&N pre filters for the Florida ride (12-15-01)
after the pleats pretty much get full of dirt and mud at the Land Between The Lakes
ride earlier this fall, I picked the nylons over the pre chargers to keep the cost low, 1.97
for stockings that will make 8 disposable covers or 10.00 each for pre chargers that you
need to wash when you service the filters.

Attachments:
Mvc-379f.jpg
Mvc-379f.jpg [ 71.21 KiB | Viewed 2592 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:24 am 

As you can see the forward side of the filters gets much dirtier that the back side.

Attachments:
Mvc-380f.jpg
Mvc-380f.jpg [ 34.16 KiB | Viewed 2591 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:25 am 

Here is what my main filter looked like after almost 3 days of eating dust near the Big Scrub
camp grounds, the filter is clean but keep in mind that this filter will still need serviced even if
it does not look dirty, the oil used to coat the filter in time will evaporate so for maximum protection
I recommend removing inspecting and oiling the filter from time to time.

Attachments:
MVC-381F.JPG
MVC-381F.JPG [ 50.67 KiB | Viewed 2590 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:25 am 

Below is two other Pilot filters that were not running the pre filters on the same ride.

Attachments:
Mvc-384f.jpg
Mvc-384f.jpg [ 71.47 KiB | Viewed 2589 times ]
Mvc-385f.jpg
Mvc-385f.jpg [ 59.77 KiB | Viewed 2589 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:26 am 

Here are the filters getting ready to be washed in preparation for the next ride.

My second generation pre filter design is working out good, I guess I bought large enough
filters and they provide enough filter service area, even when they got as dirty as you see
in the above pictures my jetting was not affected enough to worry about changing pre filters

Attachments:
Mvc-450f.jpg
Mvc-450f.jpg [ 21.6 KiB | Viewed 2588 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:27 am 

Now you can buy a fiberglass replica of my mod if you don't want to fabricate your own cover.

No Longer Available

http://pilotodyssey.com/PO/viewtopic.php?t=533" ."..

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:30 am 

DC's Pre-Filter setup http://pilotodyssey.com/PO/viewtopic.php?t=1153

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:31 am 

Here are some pics of the Wiggins Prefilter Mod Check it out. http://pilotodyssey.com/PO/viewtopic.php?t=1181

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:32 am 

Just for reference here is the filter I used as the pre-filters on my setup .
Attachment:
K&N.jpg
K&N.jpg [ 102.48 KiB | Viewed 2519 times ]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:40 am 

"H" Nice setups. Is there a reason you have not cut of the stock defletor cone on the first of two holes on original lid. I would think the static pressure from one tub to next would not be in balance causing turblance ( air flow at different pressures) in the air box. Granted the second tube would increase flow at a lower static pressure for a single carb. What about for a twin carbs. Maybe go 2.5 or 3", any thoughts. The pre filter ( set mounted by net) would a cruved deflection plate on the front side help with pleat infiltration. They seam to be postioned behind head. I know when drakman does a break check I duct the best I can and gas out of roost rang, that's a lot of sand hitting the twin prefilters. Does the added intake tract lenght seam to hurt mid pull off the bottom any. If so would a boost bootle on the primary air cleaner box help with throttle lag if any. I was going to try a setup for new darkart chaser Engine and would like some input. I'am like 5 alive, need more input. On your 250 does it have a boost bottle coming off the intake tract ? I do know, you say tape off or choke off to help on jetting however It's an air pump. Maybe a dial a jet would be better by regulation of fuel rather than air. I know why you do it though just get myself to do it . It's like a dirty air cleaner bad on preformance. Thanks for the help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:31 pm 

Check this out here is Stonemans filters after Casey race using the prefilter mod.

http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/viewtopic.php?t=4450&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=24

Nice and clean, this is how you make engines last.

Profile E-mail