Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Okay, I need help
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:59 pm 

Well got a manual on the way so I can stop asking so many questions. Anyway Im having some problems getting my FL250 running properly. After talking with Randy I decided against doing a gravity feed type system. I went ahead and put a rebuilt kit in my carb, kreemed the fuel tank, put a brand new pump on it and put it all back together. I have the air screw 1 1/8 turns out from seated, 32.1 fuel mixture. It will start and idle all day, but as soon as I try riding it it pops and sputters. I can let off and it will idle fine....Its frustrating, ive checked for air leaks and have not found any....

Is it supposed too have reeds? I took the intake off and it does not have any, wanted too see if they were damaged.

thanks for tips and tricks.

-Donnie

Post subject: Re: Okay, I need help
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:26 pm 

junk racing wrote:
Well got a manual on the way so I can stop asking so many questions. Anyway Im having some problems getting my FL250 running properly. After talking with Randy at http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16721 I decided against doing a gravity feed type system. I went ahead and put a rebuilt kit in my carb, kreemed the fuel tank, put a brand new pump on it and put it all back together. I have the air screw 1 1/8 turns out from seated, 32.1 fuel mixture. It will start and idle all day, but as soon as I try riding it it pops and sputters. I can let off and it will idle fine....Its frustrating, ive checked for air leaks and have not found any....

Is it supposed too have reeds? I took the intake off and it does not have any, wanted too see if they were damaged.

-Donnie

If it pops as in a back fire i would check the flywheel key... strange that it idles fine though. maybe points/timing are off. i think timing has an increased negative effect at higher rpm but im not quite sure on that.

Does it rev up at all?

No reeds in 250
[/b]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Okay, I need help
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:28 pm 

junk racing wrote:
Well got a manual on the way so I can stop asking so many questions. Anyway Im having some problems getting my FL250 running properly. After talking with Randy at http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16721 I decided against doing a gravity feed type system. I went ahead and put a rebuilt kit in my carb, kreemed the fuel tank, put a brand new pump on it and put it all back together. I have the air screw 1 1/8 turns out from seated, 32.1 fuel mixture. It will start and idle all day, but as soon as I try riding it it pops and sputters. I can let off and it will idle fine....Its frustrating, ive checked for air leaks and have not found any....

-Donnie

Even though you have a manual feel free to continue to ask as many questions as you want, its always been my policy the only dumb question is the question that was not asked, everybody here started out the same as you are we were not born with the answers, their are many things in this world no matter how much I read about them or ask questions I still don't understand, things I understand the most are mechanical things they come easy for me.

From your discription my guess is your running out of fuel at 1/2 throttle and above?

This could be caused by something being plugged or the wrong setting, the main jet could be restricted by a tiny piece of dirt, or the fuel level in the carb could be set to low, what size is the main jet?

Their is a part on the 250 carb that also wears out and causes problems, OldmanOdy posted the parts needed to fix this, I forget where that post is and what to search for I will contact him and let him fill you in he is one of our 250 gurus !

You might want to read this its a long read but gives good in site on carbs, fuel systems and jetting.
http://pilotodyssey.com/BillGivensjetting.htm

About your tank, make sure you didnt plug your screen on the pickup tube, make sure the pickup tube does not have a hole in it and sucking air in the tank, also while its running pull the cap and see if the return line is pumping gas back to the tank.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:34 pm 

Ok found it http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/view ... needle+set

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:45 pm 

Sounds like timing to me, I would check that before anything else. If you have points they will need to be set perfectly to work well, very finicky.

Otherwise, check the flywheel as Hoser said, fairly common issue to have a damaged or completely sheared flywheel key, properly torqued you don't even need the key, but most people seem to rely on the key and don't torque it enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:52 pm 

I have a new needle and those parts aswell, Im gonna go try those things....Im pretty sure there isnt anything plugged up, i blew out all passages in the carb with compressed air last night, I cleaned the tank and petcock out before kreeming the tank, I did notice while it was running earlier that there was fuel coming out the overflow I tapped on the carb and it stopped. It is a backfire anytime i give it more than 1/3 throttle but idles nice and smooth....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:03 pm 

junk racing wrote:
I have a new needle and those parts aswell, Im gonna go try those things....Im pretty sure there isnt anything plugged up, i blew out all passages in the carb with compressed air last night, I cleaned the tank and petcock out before kreeming the tank, I did notice while it was running earlier that there was fuel coming out the overflow I tapped on the carb and it stopped. It is a backfire anytime i give it more than 1/3 throttle but idles nice and smooth....

I agree with Ody_Stable check the timing first, maybe even try another known to be good spark plug, a plug on the edge of fouling can cause it to backfire under load or increases in RPM.

How are the Engine mounts the Engine shaking alot? Bad mounts can cause the Engine to shake enough to affect the float at idle and make fuel come out the over flow tubes on the carb as you describe, if the mounts are ok then you might have to adjust the float later on, make sure the hoses are routed well away from the clutches and belt you don't want any gas on the belt or clutches.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:12 pm 

how do I go about checking timing? All the lines are routed away from everything, just checked for clogs again and nothing, gonna try a different plug aswell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:23 pm 

Engine mounts are in real good shape, no shaking or jerking of any sort

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:59 pm 

Im going to take it somewhere too get it worked out, I don't know alot about tuning 2 strokes and am frustrated.

Thanks too those that have tried helping me out, If theres someone in my area (dallas Tx) LMK if youd like too make some money.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:55 pm 

junk racing wrote:

Is the exhaust plugged up anywhere???

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:18 am 

Not that i have seen, took the pipe off too fix the exhaust seal on the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )), looked down through it.....I know without the baffle its crazy loud.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:17 am 

Okay guys got it running great, Rebuilt the carb, replaced the pump, and all fuel lines, jetted the carb up since I added a UNI filter. Did a compression check its got 138 PSI while warm, guess the guy didnt lie too me about being rebuilt. Thanks for everyones tips, i think it may have been the pump, i think it was weak and couldnt put out the fuel it needed once under a load.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:40 pm 

Glad to here you got it running, enjoy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:41 pm 

oops again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:55 pm 

hey adnoh

time for a return visit to LS

i will run the CR and show the stock fl250 for sale

lets go

Curtis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:06 pm 

that's a Hell YA. Come on warm weather.
I left some money down there in Tulsa did you get any of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:09 pm 

where did you leave that money and i will go look :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:15 pm 

Hard rock.