Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DG Vs Power Pros
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:22 am 

can anyone tell me difference (performance wise) between the DG pipe and Power Pros?

also can anyone tell me which would be best for me. i'll be running in the desert so no need for a spark arrestor (ive heard they effect the performance of the exhaust aswell) or to have a particularly quite pipe. which makes me think the DG pipe, plus its $70 cheaper.
so far the rest of my ody 350 Engine is stock but i will be looking to upgrade in the near future.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: DG Vs Power Pros
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:26 pm 

If you have no problem with it being a little on the loud side I would defiantly go with the DG pipe.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:34 pm 

If you buy the DG pipe, invest in a supply of ear plugs! I wound up changing out the silencer on my DG to an FMF Quiet Core II. As far as performance goes, someone who has ran both pipes will have to chyme in.

The quality of the Power Pros pipe is definitely superior. You get what you pay for.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:32 am 

"you get what you pay for" - as is always the case. however, im trying to restore this ody to a useable state without taking out a mortgage.
plus in the desert the only people who will hear your exhaust note are probably riding something louder anyway (chevy small block sand rails with straight through pipes for example)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:57 am 

If you are going to go with the DG pipe, be aware that they are incredibly loud. I am not kidding when I say invest in some ear plugs! After riding my Ody for anything over 15 minutes, my ears would ring.

As far as quality goes, I have had to reinforce the "U" shaped mounting bracket because it broke off at the pipe. Also, the opening of the expansion chamber that slides over the manifold that is bolted to the cylinder is offset and doesn't seal properly. See attached picture.

I am currently stuck with this pipe until I can purchase a Power Pro's pipe. I strongly suggest that if there is any way you can afford it, buy the Power Pro's and NOT the DG.

Good Luck,
Rand

Attachments:
File comment: Notice how the centering piece for this pipe is offset.....Unless I use a boat load of silicone, it leaks! Badly!
Mods 032.JPG
Mods 032.JPG [ 107.66 KiB | Viewed 333 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:43 pm 

I bought mine and it came with the dg,I have had no problems with it,but it is loud as hell like everyone says.Ive also put and fmf silencer on mine
See if u can hear the difference
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRHeA5gKNyc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q5sF-9k-UM

tried to insert videos here but it didnt work,don't know what im doing wrong

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:36 pm 

i have a power pros and the performance increase is amazing. but i also have many other mods on the machine. i have talked to many about the DG and am told it is only a stock replacement pipe. i was told that ur odyssey will run better with the stock pipe and DG silencer then it will with DG pipe and DG silencer. just the fact that they are so abundant and cheap makes me stay away from it. there is a reason that the power pros sells out immediately and r more expensive. i love it. it looks great and sounds great. the only gripe is the mounting location. it aims right at a frame rail. i made some custom brackets to lift it about 2 inches and i put on a small out spout to direct the exhaust away from the rear fender.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:59 pm 

That really isn't a good comparison because they would have to be EXACTLY identical. As in same rims, tires with same amount of tread, same compression, amount of gas in the tank, and does she weigh less then u? Rotating mass with the tires and rims is huge. And any weight difference for that matter, machine and/or rider. I think maybe a dyno or very accurately timed runs with one odyssey and just switch the exhaust. That's the only way to truly tell. I would love to know.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:40 am 

lutrev wrote:
I have both, and the wife will only ride the one with the DG pipe, she loves the noise. My powerpro was delivered with the manifold to small to fit on the machine and had to get it stretched at a muffler shop.

As far as I see, I do not understand where the difference in quality is as both have held up well, and I think the DG kicks the snot out of the powerpro, as both machines have everything you can imagine on them, and are virtually identical, and she kicks my ass with the DG one.

Look at the quality of the fit and finish. Look at the thickness and design of the mounting brackets. Look at the design of the silencer itself. It is my opinion that the craftsmanship is a lot better with the Power Pro's pipe. As Tattool23 said, the Power Pro's is engineered as a performance pipe and the DG was designed as a replacement pipe. The DG pipe looks like they are made in China. I have been wrenching on ATV's and motorcycles since the late 1970's and have purchased DG parts before and the engineered quality wasn't that good back in the day either.

You do have less back pressure and a little less restrictive flow with the DG pipe which if the Ody was set up for it will give you a very small amount of performance edge. I'm talking only about 2 to 3 percent difference in performance. Basically a lot of the difference you sometimes perceive in the difference in two different pipes can be strictly psychological. The louder DG pipe just sounds meaner! Sometimes speed also has to do with the driver. Put the same bike it two different peoples hands and I guarantee one rider will be faster than the other.

As far as two vehicles being identical and being built at the same time there can be slight differences in performance between the two. I had two YZ125's that came off the line one serial number behind the other and one of them was just a hare faster than the other. Just like your Ody's they were built with the exact same equipment including the pipes. I could not figure out for my life why one was just slightly faster than the other, it just was.

That's my 2 cents worth! Like you said lutrev, he asked for an opinion! So there, we can all agree to disagree! :-)

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:48 am 

thanks guys plenty of help there!

i think i've decided on the DG pipe though...for the simple fact of the noise! here in the desert there's a real risk of having a landcruiser come over the dune from the otherside; its not like HSE exists here. so anything that might get me noticed just that tiny fraction more is worth it. plus if the worst thing im going to come across is a broken mounting bracket i can live with it.

thanks to everyone..all your opinions were duly noted.

(more questions to come about ody's im sure)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:41 pm 

i believe i have the power pros pipe and it is loud.. i have never heard any other pipes to compare to as i don' know any one else here with and ody..

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:15 pm 

fully wrote:

i believe i have the power pros pipe and it is loud.. i have never heard any other pipes to compare to as i don' know any one else here with and ody..

You ain't heard nothing until you've heard the DG so called "silencer" wailing at full throttle. It's ear piercingly friggin LOUD!

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:30 pm 

I don't really mind it much, in fact I think I kinda like it. :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:14 pm 

Stumped wrote:
I don't really mind it much, in fact I think I kinda like it. :-)

HeH??? What did you say???

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:02 pm 

I SAID IT'S REALLY FRIGGING LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RAND

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:24 pm 

hahahaha

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:47 am 

Can I see a full pic of that 350 with the black fenders in the above pic, please?

The fenders are textured.

By the way, I have a Power Pros & yeah, it's loud up close, but, once it's at a distance (where I ride) I can't even hear it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:50 pm 

yes the fender and the tub were sprayed with line x for added protection. plus it looks pertty nice i think

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:43 am 

Delete

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:45 am 

Attachment:
20170427_193056.jpg
20170427_193056.jpg [ 67.58 KiB | Viewed 674 times ]
Bringing up a very old thread but since the power pros pipe is now available again and am in the market of a new pipe, I was hoping to get some updated info on both DG and power pros pipes. When I bought my fl350 it came with a stock expansion chamber and a supertrapp silencer. Since then I've only changed out the silencer with a stock replica from eBay which quiet it down a lot. From the research that I've done I know the stock silencers can be modified to fit the DG expansion chambers so if I go with a DG I'm pretty much half way there with my new existing silencer. Reading this thread I'm seeing mixed reviews on both...the dg is a one piece expansion and the pp pipe is a two piece expansion that people have mentioned leaked at the seams. That can be remedied with a little bit of rtv. I plan on having the cylinder ported and decked, run a 38mm carb and the air box has been already modded for duel inlets. With these mods which pipe would suit best?
Thanks

Profile E-mail