Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: fl350 axels
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:41 am 

has any one ever made any fl350 axles from scratch?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: fl350 axels
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:44 am 

Not that I know of, plenty of axle makers out their I am sure would be willing to make a axle for you.

Keep in mind the axle is part of the suspension link trust loads are put on the axle a axle builder needs to know this.

You wont find splines to match the Honda splines old man Honda designed his own splines so nobody could make spare parts affordability for his products, many splines are close but are not right.

First step would be to figure out how your going to attach the replacement to the transmission output shaft after you solve that problem then your all set.

You could redesign the rear suspension and go with a CV joint used axles for a VW bug are dirt cheap I bought a used like new pair for $25.00

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:27 pm 

hoser wrote:
Not that I know of, plenty of axle makers out their I am sure would be willing to make a axle for you.

Keep in mind the axle is part of the suspension link trust loads are put on the axle a axle builder needs to know this.

You wont find splines to match the Honda splines old man Honda designed his own splines so nobody could make spare parts affordability for his products, many splines are close but are not right.

First step would be to figure out how your going to attach the replacement to the transmission output shaft after you solve that problem then your all set.

You could redesign the rear suspension and go with a CV joint used axles for a VW bug are dirt cheap I bought a used like new pair for $25.00

thanks hoser

im sposted to be getting a frame that has no motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) ,trans or axles on it that im planning on putting a cbr 600 in it
just in case making the axels fails where can i get them for cheap?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:43 pm 

Their is no such thing as cheap or inexpensive axles for a FL350.

Their is or was replacement U joints available for the axles but I forget what brand and supplier was the Ujoints to use since all others break really easy.

Before you buy any U joints you need to consult other 350 owners that has bought them and tested them to verify they are not junk.

Be warned when the rear axle breaks it bends the rear shock shaft, some 350 owners has installed a cable or link that prevents bending the shock when the axle fails. (when not if the axle fails)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:18 pm 

Try this search for axles if you want to research this site on 350 axles

http://www.google.com/search?q=style+ge ... 24&bih=583

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:43 pm 

If it has no axles and no tranny. Then I would get a spool and set it up with type 2 vw cvs. You will be able to set up the rear suspension anyway you will like and with more travel. Granted you will lose reverse but will never have to worry about breaking a tranny or axles. The axles will break and are very limmited on travel due to u-joint bind

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:27 pm 

shoubadaba wrote:
If it has no axles and no tranny. Then I would get a spool and set it up with type 2 vw cvs. You will be able to set up the rear suspension anyway you will like and with more travel. Granted you will lose reverse but will never have to worry about breaking a tranny or axles. The axles will break and are very limmited on travel due to u-joint bind

i can solve the reverse problem already have that figured out (eletric reverse)
i just wanted the axles as a starting point

hoser wrote:
Their is no such thing as cheap or inexpensive axles for a FL350.

Their is or was replacement U joints available for the axles but I forget what brand and supplier was the Ujoints to use since all others break really easy.

Before you buy any U joints you need to consult other 350 owners that has bought them and tested them to verify they are not junk.

Be warned when the rear axle breaks it bends the rear shock shaft, some 350 owners has installed a cable or link that prevents bending the shock when the axle fails. (when not if the axle fails)

i ment cheaper used axles

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:16 pm 

YEAH get the VW type II axles assemblies build your custom rear suspension drive line around them they are strong and CHEAP I bought a pair of like new used type II axles for $25.00

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:38 pm 

Just a heads up, I will have some very nice set of axles from an fl350 for sale.. I will post them soon on the board then if no takers off to eBay .

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:12 pm 

You should give the guys here on the board the first crack at them.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:12 pm 

Back in the days when we raced the oddy we made up CV joint axles for them, if i can find some of the old photos i will post here.

It was easier and cheaper to make the CV axles than it was to buy new axles.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:30 am 

oddozzie wrote:
Back in the days when we raced the oddy we made up CV joint axles for them, if i can find some of the old photos i will post here.

It was easier and cheaper to make the CV axles than it was to buy new axles.

CV axles on my oddy would open up a world of fun new things to dump my money into.. like rear a-arms.. or a modified swing arm setup.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:43 am 

I would be very interested to see this as well.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:44 am 

Yep, the mere fact that a set of USED crusty FL350 u-joint axles goes easily for $300 and a set of NEW Honda Civic CV axles goes for $75...has always made me a little sick in the stomach.

I was thinking of taking an FL350 rear hub and mounting it on the gearbox shaft (same spline), studs removed & modified as needed. Then welding a CV cup to the hub, true-ing everything on the lathe, drilling holes, etc. Then you can attach the VW/Porsche axle to your gearbox and would just need to find hubs tp match your new shaft splines (likely easy since they're not the "special one-time" spline). Just don't have the time to mess.

I wouldn't recommend going super crazy with longer lengths. The same gear train has to turn it and the same bearings to to support the mass/loads as with the shorter axle.

And when making your own drive-train components, everything has to be balanced and true. Otherwise you'll have -0- reliability and tons of breakdowns.

EDIT: And if worried about the brake rotor interfering with the CV carriage, convert your rear brakes from the single central rotor to brakes at the wheels.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:13 am 

DMoneyAllstar wrote:
Yep, the mere fact that a set of USED crusty FL350 u-joint axles goes easily for $300 and a set of NEW Honda Civic CV axles goes for $75...has always made me a little sick in the stomach.

I was thinking of taking an FL350 rear hub and mounting it on the gearbox shaft (same spline), studs removed & modified as needed. Then welding a CV cup to the hub, true-ing everything on the lathe, drilling holes, etc. Then you can attach the VW/Porsche axle to your gearbox and would just need to find hubs tp match your new shaft splines (likely easy since they're not the "special one-time" spline). Just don't have the time to mess.

I wouldn't recommend going super crazy with longer lengths. The same gear train has to turn it and the same bearings to to support the mass/loads as with the shorter axle.

And when making your own drive-train components, everything has to be balanced and true. Otherwise you'll have -0- reliability and tons of breakdowns.

EDIT: And if worried about the brake rotor interfering with the CV carriage, convert your rear brakes from the single central rotor to brakes at the wheels.

I like that idea how much wider would it make the attachment points for the CV's (make the trans wider) than stock?

You could make longer trailing arms get more travel, add a lower link (like a Drakart) so no more bent shocks if a axle does break, use inexpensive axle parts...

Make it happen.

What other hubs would fit the 350 trans?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:32 pm 

Not alot of room on the right side. Pretty sure a rear hub will hit the case above the output shaft.

Got to come up with something small in diameter, like maybe RZR axles or something that has a small diameter CV joint.

I talked to a tooling shop in my area last year about making a broach to cut the internal spline require to do custom inboard hubs. They quoted me roughly $1000 :shock: . Have to make and sell a bunch of hubs to make it feasable. He also said he could cut custom internal splines on a 4 axis CNC mill which would be less for only a couple of pieces.

Still in the back of my mind to do something with the axles but nothing currently in the works.

Let's keep kicking around idea's, maybe something will happen.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:40 am 

Here are some pics I have of a 350 with CV's, from memory I think you require part of the old axle that fits to the trans output shaft get it machined and welded to cv and axle and I think it was a subaru spline that matched the hub, sorry can't find all the info I had on it.

Attachments:
cv2.JPG
cv2.JPG [ 93.08 KiB | Viewed 4261 times ]
cv1.JPG
cv1.JPG [ 57.99 KiB | Viewed 4261 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:22 am 

I did some measuring and a regular vw cv wont fit on the right side of the tranny because of the case. But a cup like a pilot will.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:29 am 

DaveM wrote:
Not alot of room on the right side. Pretty sure a rear hub will hit the case above the output shaft.

Got to come up with something small in diameter, like maybe RZR axles or something that has a small diameter CV joint.

I talked to a tooling shop in my area last year about making a broach to cut the internal spline require to do custom inboard hubs. They quoted me roughly $1000 :shock: . Have to make and sell a bunch of hubs to make it feasable. He also said he could cut custom internal splines on a 4 axis CNC mill which would be less for only a couple of pieces.

Still in the back of my mind to do something with the axles but nothing currently in the works.

Let's keep kicking around idea's, maybe something will happen.

Have them wire burned it will be alot cheaper

speed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:07 am 

hoser wrote:
DMoneyAllstar wrote:

I thought some of the Honda ATC hubs fit (?).

And the 85-92 Suzuki LT250R rear hubs also fit -- tried it myself. they're 24-spline in either 4 or 5-lug. I posted this a while back but it got 86'd by the hackers. A lot more of these around, too, rather than cannibalizing FL350R parts!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:07 am 

DMoneyAllstar wrote:
hoser wrote:
DMoneyAllstar wrote:

And the 85-92 Suzuki LT250R rear hubs also fit -- tried it myself. they're 24-spline in either 4 or 5-lug. I posted this a while back but it got 86'd by the hackers. A lot more of these around, too, rather than cannibalizing FL350R parts!

I think they are talking about the splines on the transmission :-)

speed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:07 am 

speedchaser wrote:
DMoneyAllstar wrote:
hoser wrote:
DMoneyAllstar wrote:

I think they are talking about the splines on the transmission :-)

speed

How hard how much to make a whole new output shaft?

Long run wonder if it would be cheaper to buy one of these 9:1 boxes and sell your current 350 trans. http://www.team-moto.com/index.cfm?acti ... ategory=20
900 bux for new
sell old for 300 to 400 bux depending on condition upgrade for 500 bux

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:25 pm 

The link isn't working

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:57 pm 

Fatcat wrote:
The link isn't working

I see that, worked before try this one all the way to the bottom of the page

http://www.team-moto.com/index.cfm?Acti ... Category=7

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:53 pm 

hoser wrote:
Fatcat wrote:
The link isn't working

I see that, worked before try this one all the way to the bottom of the page

http://www.team-moto.com/index.cfm?Acti ... Category=7" ."..

wonder what kind of power that box would tollerate. also wonder what size the input shaft is. may be a good alternitive to get a sled driven clutch in an fl350/fl400 sled conversion. i didnt see a clickable link on that page to get more info, but i am on my phone.

Profile E-mail