Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:03 pm 

Hi

Guys I live in Belgium and I'm 28. I just bought a fl350 that has been standing still for a few years. When the Engine is running and the FL is stationary, the drive belt touches the rear axle. Is that normal?

Also when I go into reverse, the gearbox makes a weird noise. Sounds like 2 metal parts scraping againt each other. Any ideas what that could be? I changed the gearbox oil.

Thanks!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:19 pm 

I think the belt rubbing the axle thing is normal will let the FL350 gurus chime in on this one.

When you drained the oil in the trans was their any metal or did the oil have a metallic hue to it?

Welcome to the site please post pics of your machine and riding areas. :-)

::-:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:01 pm 

Stella52 wrote:
Hi

Guys I live in Belgium and I'm 28. I just bought a fl350 that has been standing still for a few years. When the Engine is running and the FL is stationary, the drive belt touches the rear axle. Is that normal?

Also when I go into reverse, the gearbox makes a weird noise. Sounds like 2 metal parts scraping againt each other. Any ideas what that could be? I changed the gearbox oil.

Thanks!

Drive belt touching - This is completely normal and occurs on all machines! no worries :)

Shift buzz - This is normal also. Many of us have done the "change switch mod" to the switch located on the back of the transmission. This switch exists to prevent the odyssey from being started in gear for obvious safety reasons. The mod consists of cutting the two wires from the switch, and grounding them both to the frame. This will allow you to start it in the gear you prefer. Be reminded stuck throttles can cause problems with this. If you decide to not perform the switch bypass mod, make sure to put it into gear quickly and at low RPM

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:01 pm 

Thanks for the info, that reasuring!

I have another problem, I tried to change the rear brake pads, but I can't get the new pads in. There is not enough room. When I try to push the brake cylinder back, It won't move.

Is it necessary to drain the brake fluid first?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:03 pm 

Stella52 wrote:
Thanks for the info, that reasuring!

I have another problem, I tried to change the rear brake pads, but I can't get the new pads in. There is not enough room. When I try to push the brake cylinder back, I won't move.

Is it necessary to drain the brake fluid first?

What did the oil look like you drained from the trans?

You need to read the manual on the brake thing, you probably need to remove the adjuster for the parking brake before you can push the piston back far enough to accept the new thicker pads, then once installed and working re-adjust the parking brake assembly.

Please download and read the manual before wrenching. :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:49 pm 

The rubbing and grinding is fairly normal. Just be careful. People say to drop it from neutral to drive or reverse as fast as you can, don't ease it in. Some also remove the neutral safety start function so you can start it in gear, just be really careful! If you start it in gear and try to just revv it up, the buggy will move on you!

Welcome to the board!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:57 am 

As far as the grinding when it goes into gear this is normal however, make sure your idle is as low as you can get it without out the Ody stalling and it will grind less or not at all.

To get the new pads in make sure that the parking brake adjustment bolt is completely backed out or remove it completely.

Note: it shouldn't take a lot of force to push the caliper back into the caliper body. If it does then you probably have some corrosion or dirt built up around the outside of the caliper piston. Make sure the outside of the piston is clean! If you try to force a dirt encrusted and corroded piston back into the caliper body, it may damage the caliper seals. Once it is clean and you still have trouble pushing the piston back into the caliper, you can take a C clamp and GENTLY press the caliper piston all of the way into the caliper body. This will give you enough room to install the new pads.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:45 pm 

OK, thanks for the info guys, I will try to do that, but I fear the brake piston maybe stuck...

I got another quick question. I replaced the stock filter with a unifilter. Do I need to rejet?
Do I have to squeeze the metal frame into the unifilter? Because the unfilter allready has some metal inside...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:39 pm 

Yes you will need to recheck your jetting.

The UNI has its own cage and support so you won't need to use the factory wire cage.

Rand

Profile E-mail