Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: My Honeys Pilot
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:54 am 

Steve, I love it!
She is a beauty and you can tell great pride went into the work performed.

When you told me you had parts, I had no idea of the extent. Looks like you could assemble a whole new pilot:()

What are your thoughts on the cool head?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:20 am 

Sure is purrdy sir. :-)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:42 am 

Pilot bird wrote:
Steve, I love it!
She is a beauty and you can tell great pride went into the work performed.

When you told me you had parts, I had no idea of the extent. Looks like you could assemble a whole new pilot:()

What are your thoughts on the cool head?

Hello Chris, thank you sir. I do go a little crazy when it comes to my wife, she is my everything!!!

Yes I will admit it, I am addicted to pilot parts.

I think the Speedchaser cool head has been very much time tested from members on here, I myself do not have a lot of run time on my cool heads but I completely trust the people who designed it and the members who run them.

rarerat wrote:
Sure is purrdy sir. :-)

Hey buddy, thank you. Riding soon I hope.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:26 pm 

Here are some pictures of her all put together, only one thing left to do which is the dual air intake.

We took her out last Sunday, just putted around and took it real easy we barely got in to 1/4 throttle runs, taking our time. Everything went very well, the next ride will be a little more fun.

Attachments:
SNC10004.JPG
SNC10004.JPG [ 70.4 KiB | Viewed 2004 times ]
SNC10005.JPG
SNC10005.JPG [ 62.52 KiB | Viewed 2004 times ]
SNC10006.JPG
SNC10006.JPG [ 81.63 KiB | Viewed 2004 times ]
SNC10007.JPG
SNC10007.JPG [ 66.23 KiB | Viewed 2004 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:11 pm 

scpilot66 wrote:
Here are some pictures of her all put together, only one thing left to do which is the dual air intake.

We took her out last Sunday, just putted around and took it real easy we barely got in to 1/4 throttle runs, taking our time. Everything went very well, the next ride will be a little more fun.

Steve, what are your break in procedures on the Engine?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:32 pm 

scpilot66 wrote:

Were you riding out at Rio Puerco at the end of Southern Blvd SW?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:38 pm 

hoser wrote:
scpilot66 wrote:

That looks like Montessa park from the pics.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:59 am 

Pilot bird wrote:

Hello Chris, sorry for the late reply. I use 3 gallons of premium gas with Honda GN2 premix at 20/1 for the initial break in, the GN2 is non synthetic it is what Honda originally made for the Pilot and Odyssey I believe. I run the tank as low as possible being very careful not to run out of gas ( DO NOT RUN OUT OF GAS ), I then use the Honda HP2 at 32/1 from then on.

I take an initial compression reading before first start up, I do 7 or so heat cycles taking a compression reading between each heat cycle, on the first heat cycle I let the Engine run until I feel the cylinder warm to the touch I then shut it down and let it cool completely, after it has cooled to room temp. I take a compression reading and do it all over again slowly letting it heat up a little more each heat cycle until I reach full operating temperature on the last 3 heat cycles, basically let it run a little longer each heat cycle. I also constantly look the Engine and everything over, double, triple and quadruple check everything.

On the first rides, after warm up ( Always warm up your Engine before riding ) I start out slow I putt around at first fluctuating the throttle 1/8 tops keeping it out of the power band, first ride is very short I come back pull the plug check color and let the Engine cool completely, I do this over and over again increasing my ride distance and throttle amount a little each time. Take your compression gauge with you and check compression after cool down before each ride, it is a good idea to take a compression reading before the first ride where you are riding at. I only say that because the altitude where I live and where I ride are different.

We have barely gotten in to 1/4 throttle runs on my wife's pilot, before we go out again I am going to change her Engine balance oil and fatten up the mid range on the carburetor.

I am sure my break in procedure is a little more time consuming then others but I have had so much trouble in the past couple of years I am a scaredy cat. OK I said it, there!!!

I learned the basis from Hoser and all the great people on here, I hope you will approve Hoser.
If you do a search on here I am sure there are many write ups on break in procedure.

Good luck Chris, I hope this helps.

rarerat wrote:
hoser wrote:

Hello Gentleman, sorry for the late reply.
Yes Sir Nick you are correct, Montessa park.

Hoser, it is a small place with lots of hills to climb. I prefer the Puerco over Montessa any day but Montessa is a lot closer.
Next time you are down we can go and check it out if you would like, no problem.

Take care guys.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:16 pm 

scpilot66 wrote:
Pilot bird wrote:

Hello Chris, sorry for the late reply. I use 3 gallons of premium gas with Honda GN2 premix at 20/1 for the initial break in, the GN2 is non synthetic it is what Honda originally made for the Pilot and Odyssey I believe. I run the tank as low as possible being very careful not to run out of gas ( DO NOT RUN OUT OF GAS ), I then use the Honda HP2 at 32/1 from then on.

I take an initial compression reading before first start up, I do 7 or so heat cycles taking a compression reading between each heat cycle, on the first heat cycle I let the Engine run until I feel the cylinder warm to the touch I then shut it down and let it cool completely, after it has cooled to room temp. I take a compression reading and do it all over again slowly letting it heat up a little more each heat cycle until I reach full operating temperature on the last 3 heat cycles, basically let it run a little longer each heat cycle. I also constantly look the Engine and everything over, double, triple and quadruple check everything.

On the first rides, after warm up ( Always warm up your Engine before riding ) I start out slow I putt around at first fluctuating the throttle 1/8 tops keeping it out of the power band, first ride is very short I come back pull the plug check color and let the Engine cool completely, I do this over and over again increasing my ride distance and throttle amount a little each time. Take your compression gauge with you and check compression after cool down before each ride, it is a good idea to take a compression reading before the first ride where you are riding at. I only say that because the altitude where I live and where I ride are different.

We have barely gotten in to 1/4 throttle runs on my wife's pilot, before we go out again I am going to change her Engine balance oil and fatten up the mid range on the carburetor.

I am sure my break in procedure is a little more time consuming then others but I have had so much trouble in the past couple of years I am a scaredy cat. OK I said it, there!!!

I learned the basis from Hoser and all the great people on here, I hope you will approve Hoser.
If you do a search on here I am sure there are many write ups on break in procedure.

Good luck Chris, I hope this helps.

rarerat wrote:
hoser wrote:

Hello Gentleman, sorry for the late reply.
Yes Sir Nick you are correct, Montessa park.

Hoser, it is a small place with lots of hills to climb. I prefer the Puerco over Montessa any day but Montessa is a lot closer.
Next time you are down we can go and check it out if you would like, no problem.

Take care guys.

Steve, that is some good stuff!
I too have had a string of bad luck. I am a scaredy cat also!
Glad you shared as I will be breaking in my 500 Engine soon. Still breaking in the Rare Rat Rod Pilot and have cruised the neighborhood a few times with success:)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:47 pm 

why is the fender hanging at a different angle on the left side???

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:03 pm 

I have a question, why so many heat cycles? My friend in the midwest who use to own a cycle shop untill going onto great sucsess as a car dealer was trained at honda as well as my friend Brian who has rebuilt 3 of my pilot engines. What are you trying to accomplish with these heat cycles? I know everyone has there way of doing things but this heat cycle thing baffles me. I have been told by both start it up just like you always do and ride it which we have with no issues at all. I ask them about heat cycles and they both said the same thing, what for, what are you trying to accomplish with that? I am only asking, I know a lot that have 2 strokes of all different sizes, Brian was a service manager for a huge dealership by my house, Temecula Motorsports for 20 years or longer till he went on his own building and preping factory Honda supercross and desert racing bikes. Trying to learn why or what does it do for you. I have asked several places including temecula Motorsports and I got the same answe.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:14 pm 

Dave-Co wrote:
why is the fender hanging at a different angle on the left side???

Hello Dave, sorry for the late reply. The right rear fender is pretty new, the rest of the plastic is original I think.

I learned the basis for my break in procedure here.

Hope to see you soon.

Take care, Steve.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:29 pm 

Dave-Co wrote:
I have a question, why so many heat cycles? My friend in the midwest who use to own a cycle shop untill going onto great sucsess as a car dealer was trained at honda as well as my friend Brian who has rebuilt 3 of my pilot engines. What are you trying to accomplish with these heat cycles? I know everyone has there way of doing things but this heat cycle thing baffles me. I have been told by both start it up just like you always do and ride it which we have with no issues at all. I ask them about heat cycles and they both said the same thing, what for, what are you trying to accomplish with that? I am only asking, I know a lot that have 2 strokes of all different sizes, Brian was a service manager for a huge dealership by my house, Temecula Motorsports for 20 years or longer till he went on his own building and preping factory Honda supercross and desert racing bikes. Trying to learn why or what does it do for you. I have asked several places including temecula Motorsports and I got the same answe.

http://homes.ottcommunications.com/~red/breakin.html

Info on rings if you like to read.

Keep hitting "Next" at the bottom of the page.

http://www.riken.co.jp/e/piston/c/c_1.html

You can always start here also http://www.riken.co.jp/e/piston/index.html

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:57 am 

hoser wrote:
Dave-Co wrote:

http://homes.ottcommunications.com/~red/breakin.html

Info on rings if you like to read.

Keep hitting "Next" at the bottom of the page.

http://www.riken.co.jp/e/piston/c/c_1.html

You can always start here also http://www.riken.co.jp/e/piston/index.html

Hey Hoser that first link came up on my computer as a malicious site and was blocked by Norton Antivirus

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:13 pm 

Merry Christmas everyone, I took 2 of my grandchildren for a short ride up the street and back in my wife's pilot. All of my grandchildren have played in the pilots and my sons odyssey pretty much since before they could walk, it has gotten to the point that when they come over we go in the garage and play racing in the machines. When they were smaller I would put them together in one pilot and I would shake the pilot and make Engine noises like they were in a race, I taught them what controls did what, gas, brakes etc., of course they always won the race. Now they make there own Engine noises drive there own machine and race each other, I am just the shaker now but I have more fun watching them then ever.

This was Ali and Kelton's first ride in the pilot I made sure both of them kept there ears plugged, all I can say is if you have never heard a child do what I call scream laughing you have not lived, it is music to the ears. Both of my grandchildren were laughing and screaming so hard ever time I would hit the gas Awesome just Awesome!!!

Take care everyone.

Attachments:
DSCN8858.JPG
DSCN8858.JPG [ 48.34 KiB | Viewed 1750 times ]
DSCN8853.JPG
DSCN8853.JPG [ 56.55 KiB | Viewed 1750 times ]
DSCN8876.JPG
DSCN8876.JPG [ 49.42 KiB | Viewed 1750 times ]
DSCN8873.JPG
DSCN8873.JPG [ 48.26 KiB | Viewed 1750 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:12 pm 

Hey Steve good to see you in a Pilot! How is the sons 350 doing back there in that garage?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:49 pm 

Mudbogger wrote:
Hey Steve good to see you in a Pilot! How is the sons 350 doing back there in that garage?

Poor thing is just sitting, it still has all 4 shocks blown. I do change the gas and fire her off once in a while. I need to get the shocks done and get it going again, hopefully this is the year that I get everything going.

Take care Sir.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:47 pm 

Fun stuff for sure, my friend. Hope you and the family had a very Merry Christmas.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:01 pm 

rarerat wrote:
Fun stuff for sure, my friend. Hope you and the family had a very Merry Christmas.

Thank you Buddy, Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:38 pm 

scpilot66 wrote:
Merry Christmas everyone, I took 2 of my grandchildren for a short ride up the street and back in my wife's pilot. All of my grandchildren have played in the pilots and my sons odyssey pretty much since before they could walk, it has gotten to the point that when they come over we go in the garage and play racing in the machines. When they were smaller I would put them together in one pilot and I would shake the pilot and make Engine noises like they were in a race, I taught them what controls did what, gas, brakes etc., of course they always won the race. Now they make there own Engine noises drive there own machine and race each other, I am just the shaker now but I have more fun watching them then ever.

This was Ali and Kelton's first ride in the pilot I made sure both of them kept there ears plugged, all I can say is if you have never heard a child do what I call scream laughing you have not lived, it is music to the ears. Both of my grandchildren were laughing and screaming so hard ever time I would hit the gas Awesome just Awesome!!!

Take care everyone.

Nice
Rarerat needs to make that 2 seater pilot like he did the ody
Merry Christmas!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:40 pm 

Good to see! I think the kids are what keeps us "adults" happy and smiling!

Keep up the fun stuff and they will keep you young!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:00 pm 

scpilot66 wrote:
Mudbogger wrote:

Poor thing is just sitting, it still has all 4 shocks blown. I do change the gas and fire her off once in a while. I need to get the shocks done and get it going again, hopefully this is the year that I get everything going.

Take care Sir.
You want me look to see if I have something used here laying around, for some reason I think I had a set of progressive shocks from back in the day here--rare indeed!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:38 pm 

redskinman wrote:
Nice
Rarerat needs to make that 2 seater pilot like he did the ody
Merry Christmas!

Hello, agreed a 2 seat pilot would be cool.

Thank you Sir and late Merry Christmas to you.

Lonerider wrote:
Good to see! I think the kids are what keeps us "adults" happy and smiling!

Keep up the fun stuff and they will keep you young!

Much agreed.

Thank you and take care.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:41 pm 

Mudbogger wrote:
scpilot66 wrote:
Mudbogger wrote:

Take care Sir.
You want me look to see if I have something used here laying around, for some reason I think I had a set of progressive shocks from back in the day here--rare indeed!

Thank you very much for the offer Sir but no worries, I want to send his shocks off to works at some point and have reservoirs added + get them valved.

Thank you again and take care Gregg.

Profile E-mail