Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: AkPilot Project
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:51 am 

Lets see Updates, been a slacker here for sure. It's about time I bring this thread up from the ashes - even supprised me how long I let it go....

Well the gas tank/oil tank is finally done - seems like on the FL800 it was my stumbling block as well. Maybe I should not make such elaborate tanks in the future and I can stay on task.

Attachments:
File comment: Here is the gas tank with oil tank on the mag side. It has some fiberglass heat resistant material and sylicone rubber between the oil and gas to help prevent heating up the gas.
Nytro Air Cleaner 018.jpg
Nytro Air Cleaner 018.jpg [ 595.15 KiB | Viewed 10519 times ]
File comment: Here is a view that shows the stock Nytro radiator that I'm using as a oil cooler before it returns to the oil tank. Also the Donaldson air cleaners - tired of the oily Unifilters on the FL800 for sure! Hopefully these work - been thinking of prefiltering them with a K&N on the inlet (where the tape is).
Nytro Air Cleaner 019.jpg
Nytro Air Cleaner 019.jpg [ 544.81 KiB | Viewed 10519 times ]
File comment: This is the start of the airbox. Hopefully it has enough volume, if not I'll cut the gas tank down to add more volume.
Nytro Air Cleaner 025.jpg
Nytro Air Cleaner 025.jpg [ 612.29 KiB | Viewed 10519 times ]
File comment: Completed airbox.
Nytro Air Cleaner 031.jpg
Nytro Air Cleaner 031.jpg [ 554.14 KiB | Viewed 10519 times ]
File comment: Back view of the air cleaners with bent back shock brace. It turned out better than I expected but still don't like it - but no choice. Decited to do the radiator the same as the Fl800 - cut down the stock Honda fan and bolted it to aluminum frame work that welds directly to the radiator - unlike the Fl800 which has a heavy outer frame work that unclamps from around the radiator.
Nytro Air Cleaner 034.jpg
Nytro Air Cleaner 034.jpg [ 569.75 KiB | Viewed 10519 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:23 am 

Wiring harness - another thing I was not looking forward to. Wanted to use all of the Yamaha harness and none of the Pilot harness - unlike the FL800 which has both. On the FL800 the Polaris motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) is self sufficent and only has a rectifier that goes to the battery and the Honda harness just works off the battery. However I did get the kill switch and starter to go to the pilot motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )). With the Nytro motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) the key will also start the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) so as of now the lights, starter, all steering idiot lights won't work. I could have ran the lights through the honda switches but was afraid of the voltage running through them - maybe a relay but decited to mount the light switch and thumb/hand warmers next to the gauge. Also the Yamaha system is sensitive to amperage - found this out when changing to aftermarket hand grips. They were not the same resistance so it threw codes.

Wayne

Attachments:
File comment: Stock Yami harness.
Nytro wiring harness 002.jpg
Nytro wiring harness 002.jpg [ 571.12 KiB | Viewed 10517 times ]
File comment: Figuring out the mess! The Nytro harness went left to right and I needed it to go from front to back. Seemed like every wire was hooked to another, pull that one and three came with it ARRRGGG. Lots of numbering and cutting. This is probably why I kept working on it steadily as I needed to run it to make sure it works - and not let it sit for long and wonder what went to what.
Nytro wiring harness 004.jpg
Nytro wiring harness 004.jpg [ 576.85 KiB | Viewed 10517 times ]
File comment: Still having nightmares!
Nytro wiring harness 007.jpg
Nytro wiring harness 007.jpg [ 570.83 KiB | Viewed 10517 times ]
File comment: Getting it somewhat organized. Used the stock Nytro relay mounting on the back of the gastank. I managed to keep the battery, and all the wiring harness on the mag side to help offset the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) weight.
Nytro wiring harness 008.jpg
Nytro wiring harness 008.jpg [ 603.05 KiB | Viewed 10517 times ]
File comment: Stock Apex gauge with hand/thumb/high and low beam switch. It is a fairly large gauge _ which I like - and it mounts to the cross bar by your knees. It was too big to put on top of the steering. The gauge will have MPH, RPM in analog, gas level, hand/thumb warmer level, time of day, Oil level, temp, Engine codes, with lights for warm up, red temp light, and diagonstic code flashing light. definately a nice unit compaired to the stock Nytro unit. I was told I would have some issues but I have not seen any yet.
Nytro wiring harness 010.jpg
Nytro wiring harness 010.jpg [ 554.22 KiB | Viewed 10517 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:38 am 

Looks great Diablo,bout time too!!!

When can I expect the vids?

I'll be 52 in a few months...remember you promised to finish it by then? Reckon' you'll finish it BY THEN????

Would make an awesome present what? Your best Downunder MATE. Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:43 am 

Well I purchased used ATV-R front suspension and since it did not have mounting tabs I decied to make my own as I have my FL800 to copy form. I've never liked the messy anti-bump steer tub cut outs so I've decited to try and make it work with out hacking the tub. Not sure what affect this will have, I suspect it will only play a part in when the Ackerman is introduced in the corner (I think it will lessen the ackerman throughout). If it does not handle compaired to the FL800, I'll cut it out and place in the correct ATV-R intended place. Basically I just moved out the pivot point outward the tie rods have no change at all from what I recieved from the previous owner. Thoughts?

Wayne

Attachments:
File comment: Instead of running a straight tube, I put a bend in the tube to move the pivot point out away from the tub
Pilot front suspension 003.jpg
Pilot front suspension 003.jpg [ 566.71 KiB | Viewed 10515 times ]
File comment: As you can see to moves it out. The top is pretty much where it should be just rotated out but the bottom should be inline with the front frame down tube
Pilot front suspension 004.jpg
Pilot front suspension 004.jpg [ 588.51 KiB | Viewed 10515 times ]
File comment: Pic with tub in place.
Pilot front suspension 006.jpg
Pilot front suspension 006.jpg [ 603.54 KiB | Viewed 10515 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:49 am 

Bazz,

I would say your up way late, but being on the other side of the planet your half way though Sunday by now.

VIDEO?????? you want video?

Well Bazz........"ask and ye shall recieve" - a fitting Sunday theme for you Bazz

http://www.youtube.com/user/Akpilot1?fe ... -P7uXRlQ-U" ."..

Wayne

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:07 am 

Thanks for the vid Wayne.
Damn near wet my pants with excitement........or is it just the onset of incontinence? :-)

It's Sun arvo 3pm here,your the one who's up late Mate! Time you should be finishing off my,er your Pilot.

I might have to give ya another surprise Image

You still talk funny Bloke! Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:46 am 

Well I'm in that perverbial last 10% of the project that takes 90% of the time to complete. I just finished up welding in the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )), had it running and allowed the secondary clutch to self align, shimmed to motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) to the mag side about 3/8" to get the secondary just at the poing of the support bearing.
I finished up the rear suspension and on Monday I'll ship off to powder coat to match the front color. Next is to finish up electrical holding tabs (origional Honda cut and remounted to hold Nytro harness) After that make the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? ))/frame bracing which will take a bit - I want to make a motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) mount for the front that will take the side to side movement out of the removable motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) mounts (it will become clear as I make it). Then strip it down to the frame finish welding it all up and either paint it or powder coat. Leaning towards powder coat but wish it was not winter here to at least ride it to make any changes before paint. Oh well.

Wayne

Attachments:
Nytro rear suspension 001.jpg
Nytro rear suspension 001.jpg [ 540.89 KiB | Viewed 10468 times ]
File comment: Arms ready for powder coat.
Nytro rear suspension 003.jpg
Nytro rear suspension 003.jpg [ 527.17 KiB | Viewed 10468 times ]
File comment: Finished up the outer clutch brace bracket.
Nytro rear suspension 002.jpg
Nytro rear suspension 002.jpg [ 595.51 KiB | Viewed 10468 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:26 am 

Very nice job. Thank you for sharing

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:32 pm 

Well I've been working on the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) mount idea, changed shape a couple times but the theory remained the same. My objective is to take the side to side movement the front motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) mounts might have, also I can control the twisting motion of the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) better as well. By holding the mag side solid to the chassie it stops it from pushing forward under hard acceleration (pivoting around the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) brace, BTDT with mod sleds). It also allows me to align the front of the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) by pushing or pulling with the bolt. The plan is to get a castle nut and drill for a cotter pin, then tighten the carriage bolt to proper torque and lock in cotter pin, then push or pull with side bolt.
It started out as a lock nut welded to a peice of pipe, then welded to a rectangle 1/8" tube then mounted to the bracing tubes and finally hole drilled for dranage of what ever, sand, water ect.

Pics

Wayne

Attachments:
File comment: Bracing tubes for mag side with Engine support
Nytro engine mounting 001.jpg
Nytro engine mounting 001.jpg [ 554.49 KiB | Viewed 10402 times ]
File comment: Current mag side without bracing
Nytro engine mounting 004.jpg
Nytro engine mounting 004.jpg [ 577.64 KiB | Viewed 10402 times ]
File comment: You can see the grade 8 bolt with a square filed into it to accept the carriage style Engine bolt - stock Yami-
Nytro engine mounting 003.jpg
Nytro engine mounting 003.jpg [ 572 KiB | Viewed 10402 times ]
File comment: Bolt going into brace and motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) mounts. There is a spreader tube between the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) mounts
Nytro engine mounting 006.jpg
Nytro engine mounting 006.jpg [ 538.52 KiB | Viewed 10402 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:20 pm 

Well I've benifited from the Ackerman tread - thanks all - and so I decited to update my project build. I have definately decited to keep the "no cut tub" Idler arm placement and will look into doing the Big Tom ackerman corection but after I run what I have. That can be done after powder coat. Probably will look into picking up a spare steering shaft to do the modification if it's not to expensive. If it is i'll just redrill/drill the welded holes if I don't like, but I would like to try it one way then slip in the second shaft to see which I like on the same day for better feedback.

Finished up making the outer bumpstops.

Akpilot.

Attachments:
File comment: Inner bumpstops installed
DSC02493 (2) - Copy.jpg
DSC02493 (2) - Copy.jpg [ 447.53 KiB | Viewed 10344 times ]
File comment: Outer bumpstops parts, 1/2" wedge for Idler arm flag and bolt with tube coped for frame.
DSC02495 (2).jpg
DSC02495 (2).jpg [ 516.26 KiB | Viewed 10344 times ]
File comment: Outer bump stops tacked in place
DSC02498 (2).jpg
DSC02498 (2).jpg [ 577.94 KiB | Viewed 10344 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:30 pm 

Nice work Diablo...but are'nt you meant to be resting that greek tendon???? :shock:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:28 am 

where is this big tom ackerman fix+??

Nice easy stops... I wish I would have seen this before I did mine...

Akpilot wrote:
Well I've benifited from the Ackerman tread - thanks all - and so I decited to update my project build. I have definately decited to keep the "no cut tub" Idler arm placement and will look into doing the Big Tom ackerman corection but after I run what I have. That can be done after powder coat. Probably will look into picking up a spare steering shaft to do the modification if it's not to expensive. If it is i'll just redrill/drill the welded holes if I don't like, but I would like to try it one way then slip in the second shaft to see which I like on the same day for better feedback.

Akpilot.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:29 am 

where is this big tom ackerman fix+??

Nice easy stops... I wish I would have seen this before I did mine...

Akpilot wrote:

Akpilot.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:33 am 

Turbotexas

http://www.dirtcheapracing.com/steering/" .".." ."..

Big Tom welded up the two holes in the steering flag and drilled on hole in the center. Then lengthened the short tierods, one on top and one on bottom. Stacked kindof like the Odyssey is. Its been stated that it would be best to bring metal up and down to double shear the tierods.

Akpilot

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:21 am 

OH ok... But I always thought toe out on turn was a good thing in off road??? Just like the quads do....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:29 pm 

Amazing build, thank you for posting it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:46 pm 

Thanks Rarerat,

Well, I started on the bumpers and just pretty much copied what was on my Fl800, I'm using 1" Sch40 aluminum pipe for bumpers/nerfs. Going to start on the Nerf Bars next, after bars then roof and skid plate.

Akpilot

Attachments:
File comment: Made use of the old shock mounts and bolts to the bottom skid plate mounts.
DSC02499 (2).jpg
DSC02499 (2).jpg [ 552.62 KiB | Viewed 10290 times ]
DSC02500 (2).jpg
DSC02500 (2).jpg [ 592 KiB | Viewed 10290 times ]
File comment: Changed it up abit from the Fl800. It mounted the tube directly to the bottom holes, I wanted the bumper lower to take all of the hit, skid plate will tuck up under.
DSC02501 (2).jpg
DSC02501 (2).jpg [ 552.55 KiB | Viewed 10290 times ]
File comment: Duct tape is your friend.
DSC02503 (2).jpg
DSC02503 (2).jpg [ 611.85 KiB | Viewed 10290 times ]
File comment: Plan is to diamond plate.
DSC02504 (2).jpg
DSC02504 (2).jpg [ 558.27 KiB | Viewed 10290 times ]
DSC02505 (2).jpg
DSC02505 (2).jpg [ 558.03 KiB | Viewed 10290 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:48 pm 

Well I've havent had much to post, but I have been working on it. I figured I'd post on my tread the nerf.
Now I'm making gussets, it seems once I started I'm finding all kinds of things to gusset, here are a few.

Akpilot

Attachments:
DSC02524 (2).jpg
DSC02524 (2).jpg [ 398.79 KiB | Viewed 10257 times ]
File comment: gussets made from 1.5" tubing in different stages. The hole is for the X bracing and I needed to cut in two because brace was in place.
DSC02526 (2).jpg
DSC02526 (2).jpg [ 232.92 KiB | Viewed 10257 times ]
File comment: Because of the rust damage I decited a single flat gusset would not be best, might just cave in the tubing wall. You can see from the bottom the X brace in into the rust damaged area. Never liked anything metal to metal that water could get between.
DSC02527 (2).jpg
DSC02527 (2).jpg [ 259.74 KiB | Viewed 10257 times ]
File comment: The gussets cover what the stock honda gussets covered. Looking to drill a small hole in the bottom to spray rust proofing after powder coat, then maybe seal it up with silicone?
DSC02528 (2).jpg
DSC02528 (2).jpg [ 240.27 KiB | Viewed 10257 times ]
File comment: Completed rear gussets
DSC02529 (2).jpg
DSC02529 (2).jpg [ 270.93 KiB | Viewed 10257 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:06 pm 

Very nice trans... I wish I had one...
I like what you did with the frame... that will hold all you can throw at it!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:05 pm 

go oddy wrote:
Very nice trans... I wish I had one...
I like what you did with the frame... that will hold all you can throw at it!

I too hope it holds up go oddy, but I'm about tired of making gussets NOW!!! I've decited to just rattle can the frame for this summer then I can make changes easily with out worring about powercoat, I would think it would be crazy to think I have the frame just perfect and not need to make changes dispite what Bazz thinks I can do :-) . After this summer I'll definately get it sand blasted and powdercoated.

Akpilot

Attachments:
File comment: decited to cut off Hondas' gussets because rust traps underneath. Going with "wraparound" gussets, or whatever their called so rust can't start again.
DSC02535 (2).jpg
DSC02535 (2).jpg [ 284.63 KiB | Viewed 10200 times ]
File comment: After cut away it was pretty rusty, but nothing like the other style Honda gussets in lower front.
DSC02537 (2).jpg
DSC02537 (2).jpg [ 300.88 KiB | Viewed 10200 times ]
File comment: All "X" braced up. I also copied Odyknuck's front X brace. I would gustimate about 1/2 of the metal was rusted away as I could definately tell when I started welding over the rusted part, so I cut larger gussets to make sure I made it to the original weld area where it had some "meat" to the frame. If you look carfully there is two holes in the bottom gussets, my plan is to have high temp paint put in to cans with plastic straws to put into the void area, the high temp paint should be able to withstand powder coat. Hopefully this will stop further rusting. I will also do this throught the frame to mimic Hondas' internal rustproofing. Every tube will have a hole or a bolt hole.
DSC02538 (2).jpg
DSC02538 (2).jpg [ 366.07 KiB | Viewed 10200 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:05 am 

hi akpilot,very impresive,it looks it was made in nasa!!!it will be bad a....pilot!
step on in,the faster you finish,the more time you have to enjoy it!!!
tal

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:46 am 

Attachment:
20160618_123136.jpg
20160618_123136.jpg [ 61.67 KiB | Viewed 9729 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:50 am 

I had a chance to meet up with the master fabricator ak Pilot and can't say enough good things.
His Pilot is insane!!!!!! More to come

Attachments:
20160618_102352.jpg
20160618_102352.jpg [ 82.31 KiB | Viewed 9728 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:41 pm 

and theeeeeeennnn? :-)
C'mon Rick,all those miles travelled,and 2 pics?...AAaarrgghhh!!!

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5