Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:53 pm 

hoser wrote:
Kuma wrote:
I work in a test lab, we do a lot of FAA fire testing and the stuff works great for protecting stuff you need to insulate. Ceramic, not effected by 2000 degree flame like fiberglass.
The thermal blanket suggestion is what is used on many components to protect from flame, I think the actual stuffing they use in a product called Min-K or something, made by the same company but as I understand it is ceramic micro beads rather than ceramic fiber. the stuff we have here is 1.5" thick but can easily be split and separated.

Wife works at a brick plant they use it on and around their kilns so I have access to it, also seen it used in the nuke plants on some systems piping, insulators claim its as bad if not worse than asbestos the health studies has just not caught up with it yet so limit your exposure, its good high temp stuff for sure have used it a bunch in the brick plant packing expansion joints on ventilation systems during maintenance we wear a quality respirator when working with it.

everything will kill you if they study it long enough.

I would bet breathing the dust/sand is not too healthy either

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:06 am 

Kuma wrote:

Ahhhh Silicosis (aka: miner's phthisis, grinder's asthma, potter's rot).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:54 am 

DMoneyAllstar wrote:
Kuma wrote:

Ahhhh Silicosis (aka: miner's phthisis, grinder's asthma, potter's rot).

Silicosis is bad news! All that frac sand that's being used in those oil wells is mined right around Ottawa. It's making lots of work for us. They can't get it on barges and rail cars fast enough. The company I work for has several rail and river terminals around here. Every one has a conveyor system for loading rail cars. It's a 24/7 operation. So busy while that's going on we're filling barges and moving them down the river to other facility's so they can convey it onto rail(more efficient than trucking it over distance. 1700 ton per barge). This sand is weird. It's like baby powder. When I'm out of the truck we have to wear high end respirators. Some guys don't but I choose to wear it any time I'm around it. The boss only has us haul it when he has nothing else for us. That's work for the owner operators he dispatches :-) . One of the kids that spots rail cars recently had his dad pass away from silicosis. He said he suffered pretty bad. Not a good way to go. He had been doing this stuff for 30+ years. They never had the safety stuff in place that we have today. They simply didn't know what they were doing to themselves. We know now and some guys just laugh it off anyway. I agree that everything will kill you. I believe this genetically modified shit they're calling food is gonna bite us in the ass in the future. All the growth hormones and shit in cattle. Humans think they're slick but the ones who are coming up with this stuff are just smart enough to be dangerous.

Another awesome build AK. Thanks for sharing :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:39 am 

Kuma, Thanks for the offer, I might take you up on that if what I have in mind does not work. Thinking of that self sticking reflective fiber glass mat on the bottom of the plastic trunk and then just a simple stainless heat under the mounting tubes. With air flow between the heat shield and the trunk, I'm thinking it should be fine.

After last weekends first run I noticed too much Engine movement. On the Nytro I put a 2 stroke torque snubber on the Engine, well that Engine doesn't move at all and not knowing how much the snubber was helping I did not do a snubber on the Apex Engine. That and there was no clear cut place to put it anyway, so before I went out again, I made two.

Went to Jims creed again and the weather was Terrible, blowing and just nasty, we went out anyway just to see how the new weights are working and yep still need more which is counter productive to the secondary being able to hold it. I ordered two helix's that are not here yet so we did not stay long - too nasty. Although I was there long enough to know I'm still a long ways off on the clutching, secondary still getting really hot, strange thing is the primary is actually cool, leads me to believe I cant control belt slip in the secondary and that the belt is not hot enough to transfer heat to primary. Bad thing is I'm running the heaviest spring STM has for their secondary so I must reduce the 45 degree helix. I have a reverse cut helix of 35-45 and a straight 40 coming, I'm hoping flatter is the right direction for my application, STM thinks other wise.

Ak

Attachments:
File comment: The sub frame is in two pieces, so I took out the transmission sub frame. I had to do this to get the trans out or it would have been welded in with the rear suspension mounts above the trans.
005.JPG
005.JPG [ 70.79 KiB | Viewed 2141 times ]
File comment: With the trans out I had ample room to work on the snubbers.
007.JPG
007.JPG [ 87.52 KiB | Viewed 2141 times ]
File comment: I put one snubber on the case over a bolt galley. The second I cut off a cast hole (still don't know what's for) made smooth put it there.
009.JPG
009.JPG [ 59.77 KiB | Viewed 2141 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:40 am 

Good thinkin' on the "Double Snubbers" Diablo.(Try and say that fast 6 times when you've had a few?) :-)
Covers more areas/planes of possible rotation with 2 at different heights.
But really dissapointed you slackened oof and did'nt put in 3!!! :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:25 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZTMawk1 ... detailpage" .".." ."..

Finally got some video, OFT Racing is my friend who was pushing to turbo the Cat and he built the Tuning program in the Power commander. His video/editing is miles ahead of mine :-) This is his video.

I did get the 4X4 hooked up and it so far works good, just connected the Polaris trans to the Arctic Cat front diff. In the video you can see how badly I need to put some tires on the thing it just spins. Also got the power steering working, it is not variable but on all the time, don't know how fast I had it up to yet as the speed sensor is not hooked up, but twitchy steering has not been a problem. Thinking of putting a on/off switch on the dash if it becomes a problem.

Ak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:19 am 

nice video. that thing rips

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:59 am 

Love the sound the Engine makes. Looks like another fine piece of work that came out of your garage.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:57 pm 

What a beast! Great stuff Wayne, looking forward to more videos soon.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:44 am 

Thanks guys,

Hopefully I can make it out for a couple more test/tune sessions and get some video before the snow flies - nothing but rain and crapy weather since start of August. Would like to get the clutches all dialed in so this winter I can take it apart again and make the clutch housing. Would be much easier with the sub frame out.

Ak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:59 am 

Great vid. Curious to see how much better it does with different tires

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:40 pm 

Good on ya Wayne,FINALLY huh?
Looks great and sounds real angry...almost pissed off! :-)
Have fun with your new cool power pussey,we are all big fans now.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:44 am 

ABSOLUTE MASTERPIECE. :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:13 pm 

update?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:40 pm 

BS

No updates, the Wildape has been sitting on the trailer since the last posted video. My son who has just graduated high school requested we put the buggies on the back burner and concentrate on our Roadster project so he can drive it before he leaves. He keeps threating to go to college but one would have to get accepted before that can happen :shock: I don't suspect he's not going anywhere any time soon.

Ak