Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 6:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:10 pm 

I never gave the heat a thought, once I found out the injector was gravity fed I didn't use it, but may put it back on now as I did keep the mount and tank.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:46 pm 

Very good point. I didn't think of it as a heat exchanger either!

Here's the Uber tank on Linda...

Attachments:
IMAG6215.jpg
IMAG6215.jpg [ 26.6 KiB | Viewed 1218 times ]
IMAG6212.jpg
IMAG6212.jpg [ 26.89 KiB | Viewed 1218 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:50 pm 

That doesn't look bad if it fits there with everything in place. Are you thinking about rollover safety? How many gallons does it hold? I don't have a rotax odyssey but I'd think the extra fuel would come in handy feeding a twin. Not sure how much they use. The weight would probably also help with the nose falling issue. I'm sure my fat butt being in it doesn't help with weight balance.

Attachments:
File comment: Could be the crappy shocks to. Not sure which pic is which but I noticed it looks like the rear is bottomed out so I might be getting the "pogo stick" effect springing the ass end up. Glad I'm running 22" tired instead of 24's. looks like I'd be out of some rear fenders. Lol
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 26.93 KiB | Viewed 1214 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 23.23 KiB | Viewed 1214 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:47 pm 

Well my 470 doesn't have a oil pump in it, so the whole heat exchanger thing won't work but I now I need to check for pressure there.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:44 pm 

Got my Engine mount from Farr today. Parts look great. Nice clean cuts. Just that it wasn't packed the greatest and USPS and Canadian Post beat the box up. Had a big hole in the box and what is labeled "truck tape". So one of the round tubing pieces for accepting the stock Engine mounts us missing. Will see if Farr can mail ne one, otherwise I'll just have to make one. Also sent me a starter bracket he wasn't sure would work for relocating the starter. But its merely a stock starter mount. Parts = A+. Shipping = D-. Assembly prints = A+

Attachments:
File comment: Kit
IMAG6235.jpg
IMAG6235.jpg [ 39.85 KiB | Viewed 1185 times ]
File comment: Box
IMAG6231.jpg
IMAG6231.jpg [ 52.86 KiB | Viewed 1185 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:17 am 

that's the right starter bracket, do you have the ring gear for the clutch?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:34 pm 

jwhill wrote:
that's the right starter bracket, do you have the ring gear for the clutch?

Yes, I have the clutch & ring gear. The bracket that they sent me is the stock starter bracket for the Engine/sled made for mounting the starter on the bottom of the Engine. I already have one of those. Farr wasn't sure if it'd work or not for mounting the starter under the y-pipe.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:50 pm 

that's the same one I use, it will work fine.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:11 am 

Hope that bracket does work for the relocation, that'd be awesome! I hadn't played with the starter location much besides installing that bracket on the side where I thought was the right spot, and the water pump cover is in the way. Will work on its location more. Not much I can do with the Engine sitting on a pizza box on my kitchen table! lol

Speaking of the Farr mount...I got it modeled in Pro/E and printed some 1:1 profiles on paper so I can make some 1/8" plywood prototype pieces. I'd like to squeeze the D$ Engine package in there as deep and tight as I can. Nothing wrong with Farr's design, just that I want to take full advantage of the SeaDoo intake's spatial efficiency and make sure i can get to things I need to get to (carb, belt changes, etc and plenty of room for the y-pipe/seat).

That oversized red fuel tank sold on evilBay this morning for $113.50 + s/h (and I paid $85 for it locally). Woot! Also sold $140 of Suzuki parts this weekend, SO I've got some buggy money in my PlayPal account again. Will go towards the "right" fuel tank, throttle/choke cables, Mikuni jets, and other buggy fund-age.

Plan at this point in time is...
1. Complete the Engine overhaul (CSI thread).
2. Prototype the Engine mount in plywood.
3. Dry-ballpark-fit the mount, Engine, starter, trans, rear suspension, rear fenders, seat, Civic radiator, oil reservoir, battery box, and coolant overflow tank.
4. Mod Engine mount & starter mount accordingly.
5. Cut-out the frame tubing for recoil starter clearance.
6. Cut/tack in DOM tubing on frame in place of cage removed in #4.
7. Order spun aluminum tank that will fit where I need it to fit, between 3-5gal capacity.
8. Clean up and improve a frame weld fix done by prev owner of frame.
9, 10, 11....to be continued.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:30 pm 

Playing in Pro/E's virtual playground again...

Disclaimer: please do not request from me any CAD files, prints, or measurements of the Farr Engine mount kit. If you want one, either make your own with your own brain, or, go buy the kit or plans from Farr-Offroad.
:-)

Per my phone's bubble level app (calibrated on my barn's concrete floor), the SeaDoo carbs and the Engine's jugs (Linda's jugs, lol) are 10-degrees. So...when the Engine is sitting in the trail0ready chassis (fueled, aired, etc), with suspension compressed, and driver in seat...the Engine will need to set tilted forward about 10-degrees. Not sure if the Farr mount accounts for 10-deg or something else. The mount itself is ~37-deg from mount plate to ctr-line of the mounts, but I don't remember at what angle the mount sits in the chassis. Obviously, I won't adjust the Engine mount plate LAST, so, if the Farr mount doesn't look like its at the right angle (for my personal setup) I'll give her my best educated guess. However, I can always just tack it in case I need to adjust and will have to disassemble it all for paint.

Attachments:
farr_offroad_rotax_fl350_mount.jpg
farr_offroad_rotax_fl350_mount.jpg [ 27.1 KiB | Viewed 1133 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:10 am 

Got an email from E. Farrugia. of Farr Offroad and he's sending me the one Engine mount piece that got lost on the journey across the border, and he' sending it free of charge! Awesome! :-) :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:00 pm 

For my particular Engine case, I'll need to do some trimming on the mount plate.

Fitting the side plates today and hoping to at least set the Engine in the chassis to check the angle and position. Made the 4th Engine mount piece out of Delrin for mock-up until it arrives. May even cut the chassis today. Its 43'F out (that's warm for FEB!).

Attachments:
IMAG0109.jpg
IMAG0109.jpg [ 22.31 KiB | Viewed 1097 times ]
File comment: Two nubs on the left...just to the left of the threaded studs.
IMAG0108.jpg
IMAG0108.jpg [ 56.51 KiB | Viewed 1097 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:56 pm 

Got the mount plate notched for clearance. But the most time-consuming project was the starter mount bracket. After some paper transfers and card-stock prototypes, I put together this tacked solution that will eventually become ''the'' bracket. Need to get my bottle of gas refilled before I do anymore welding, because without it...welding is the pits! lol

Attachments:
IMAG0110.jpg
IMAG0110.jpg [ 33.11 KiB | Viewed 1085 times ]
IMAG0111.jpg
IMAG0111.jpg [ 35.16 KiB | Viewed 1085 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:24 am 

Here is some of the Farr mount in the chassis (with the temporary Delrin mount, lol). Fits like a glove!

Attachments:
IMAG0113.jpg
IMAG0113.jpg [ 53.08 KiB | Viewed 1072 times ]
IMAG0114.jpg
IMAG0114.jpg [ 51.23 KiB | Viewed 1072 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:28 pm 

Made some progress on the starter bracket. But then my 1yr old smacked her face on the kitchen cabineand she needed the fatherly healing powers to cure her fat lip. :

Can't upload pics from my phone for some reason tonight. Maybe new Droid firmware conflict?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:06 am 

A Man's work is never done huh? :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:24 am 

DMoneyAllstar wrote:
Made some progress on the starter bracket. But then my 1yr old smacked her face on the kitchen cabineand she needed the fatherly healing powers to cure her fat lip. :

Can't upload pics from my phone for some reason tonight. Maybe new Droid firmware conflict?

what phone u got?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:08 am 

B S wrote:
DMoneyAllstar wrote:

what phone u got?

HTC Thunderbolt on Android & Verizon 4G. It's worked great until the firmware update Sunday night. Now my email won't connect, can't upload pics to PO, and the thing powers down randomly. Awesome update. >=\

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:00 am 

Uploaded the pics to my laptop...

Starter bracket just needs a tab welded on for a 3rd bolt to attach to the side of the block. I only had 4" wide 1/8" steel, so couldn't make it in one piece.

On the sled, there was a factory starter mount on the ass-end of the starter, too. So I'll probably sacrifice that bracket and make an end bracket for my mount.

Mounting the starter here also requires the "older" water pump cover. It's smaller and points to the side. It had a two-tiered hose barb on it (like they uses the same casting for two different engines). I milled off the small barb and then drilled out the big barb for bigger flow.

Next headache will be the mag-side frame. Then the last big headache will be the exhaust.

Attachments:
IMAG0117.jpg
IMAG0117.jpg [ 41.45 KiB | Viewed 1029 times ]
IMAG0119.jpg
IMAG0119.jpg [ 42.75 KiB | Viewed 1029 times ]
IMAG0124.jpg
IMAG0124.jpg [ 53.56 KiB | Viewed 1029 times ]
IMAG0121-1.jpg
IMAG0121-1.jpg [ 32.43 KiB | Viewed 1029 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:09 am 

Coming along good. When you think you'll have it ready for a test run?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:32 pm 

DMoneyAllstar wrote:
B S wrote:
DMoneyAllstar wrote:

what phone u got?

HTC Thunderbolt on Android & Verizon 4G. It's worked great until the firmware update Sunday night. Now my email won't connect, can't upload pics to PO, and the thing powers down randomly. Awesome update. >=\

I just got rid of my thunderbolt
Now that I got this phone I realized my thunderbolt was a pile
Got the Droid RAZR Max HD
Cost me a small fortune
Love this thing
Only thing I don't like is the copy and paste
Platform is way smoother on this phone
Battery life is great
Only thing I'm not used to yet is the 3 buttons instead of 4
HTC has an better internet on it

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:46 pm 

B S wrote:
DMoneyAllstar wrote:
B S wrote:
DMoneyAllstar wrote:

what phone u got?

I just got rid of my thunderbolt
Now that I got this phone I realized my thunderbolt was a pile
Got the Droid RAZR Max HD
Cost me a small fortune
Love this thing
Only thing I don't like is the copy and paste
Platform is way smoother on this phone
Battery life is great
Only thing I'm not used to yet is the 3 buttons instead of 4
HTC has an better internet on it

I just remembered that I have full replacement coverage on my phone, and there is enough wrong with it to file a claim. So I filed a claim and paid $99 for a brand new phone, battery, and charger aaaaaand it'll be here tomorrow by 1pm. I couldn't find anything brand new & legit online to buy that wasn't under $200, and shipped to arrive before the weekend costs at least another $40. I'm happy! :-) :-) :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:54 pm 

do you have insurance with Verizon on your cellphone
if you do in your screen is not broken or any really harsh extreme damage to the phone you can get it done for free
it classifies as a manufacturers defect hi hat I have gone through 4 Thunderbolts cuz they keep having software problems I am glad to not have 1 anymore

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:13 pm 

Fatcat wrote:
Coming along good. When you think you'll have it ready for a test run?

I'm hoping to have the Engine mounted and "chugging" again before the end of the month. But it will require the frame-hack, Engine mount, electrical at least setup enough to make it start & run, rad mounted and plumbed, oil bottle mounted, some type of fuel tank plumbed with the primer, and the exhaust fit-up whether ugly-sled-stock or buggy-modified. Cables...don't ''need'' a choke / throttle cable to start it. Then it will need broken in, jetted, etc. But I'd like to plumb in the oil bottle and test the oil pump as well as the starter this weekend. Project will move faster once the powerplant is mounted.

Total chassis test run...would be great if I could have the LT front suspension and all done.....say...by April. It will need to be warmer for me to do final paint on everything, too. But I need to get as much done as I can before the weather turns nice and spring-like because I've got a zillion home honey-do projects lined up. Hoping to have it tuned and dialed-in before summer so I can take the FL470R and the Zilla to Silver Lake and then at least another summer trip.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:42 pm 

What oil pump?

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next